Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
If you blew your Feat on Alert how are you keeping up Concentration so easily on Guardians
There's a ton of items that give you the effect of war caster without having to take the feat. Apparently larian REALLY wanted to ensure nobody took any feats other than ASI.
And if you’re Concentrating on damage you don’t need you’re not Concentrating on Bless or all her other great buffs
Bless is good early, but enemy AC is never an issue past act 1. It's never hard to hit anything unless you deliberately make a weak character. If your cleric's concentrating on anything other than spirit guardians, you're just gimping yourself. It's too good.
Bless also buffs saves. Again, as with PF I’ve already got damage coming out of my ears as long as I’m hitting and making saves. Maybe if you were doing so more consistently than you’re portraying here you wouldn’t be so impressed with a little splash damage once per turn.

Passive is always good but Concentration isn’t the easiest thing to keep up even with good AC/Con saves since you can slip on ice or get shoved or whatever.
Again you are aware of the free bless on heal ring right? You are basically arguing why it’s bad to waste your concentration on bless when this item exists in the game as early as finding Volo in Druid grove. You could be throwing hold person or some useful CC instead before getting access to spirit guardians.
Son, my supposedly shit MC has a lvl 1 Hold Person with built-in disadvantage on the save and a bow that can recharge it for him on short rest.

Unless again you’ve got an itchy reload trigger finger save-or-dies aren’t very good until you have ways to debuff saves (or crank your DCs up higher) compared to all the ways you have to get and give advantage/disadvantage on attack rolls.
lmao you initially replied to me saying that the item doesn’t work on targets. Nice try spinning this retard.
It says it doesn’t unless I’ve misread it. I’ll double check. I still use it because getting Bless on SH is good, but I like having Bless up on team for initial salvo (US gets extra attack) in any event, so haven’t noticed any redundant effect yet.

CHIN00K

Novice
Maybe if you were doing so more consistently than you’re portraying here you wouldn’t be so impressed with a little splash damage once per turn.
Spirit guardians is more than that. It's got a built in slow effect, can be upcasted to do even more damage, and there's a ton of items that make its radiant damage debuff on hit, and that's not even the most busted part. You can disengage to run around the entire battlefield hitting every single enemy on the field with impunity like a holy beyblade.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you blew your Feat on Alert how are you keeping up Concentration so easily on Guardians
There's a ton of items that give you the effect of war caster without having to take the feat. Apparently larian REALLY wanted to ensure nobody took any feats other than ASI.
And if you’re Concentrating on damage you don’t need you’re not Concentrating on Bless or all her other great buffs
Bless is good early, but enemy AC is never an issue past act 1. It's never hard to hit anything unless you deliberately make a weak character. If your cleric's concentrating on anything other than spirit guardians, you're just gimping yourself. It's too good.
Bless also buffs saves. Again, as with PF I’ve already got damage coming out of my ears as long as I’m hitting and making saves. Maybe if you were doing so more consistently than you’re portraying here you wouldn’t be so impressed with a little splash damage once per turn.

Passive is always good but Concentration isn’t the easiest thing to keep up even with good AC/Con saves since you can slip on ice or get shoved or whatever.
Again you are aware of the free bless on heal ring right? You are basically arguing why it’s bad to waste your concentration on bless when this item exists in the game as early as finding Volo in Druid grove. You could be throwing hold person or some useful CC instead before getting access to spirit guardians.
Son, my supposedly shit MC has a lvl 1 Hold Person with built-in disadvantage on the save and a bow that can recharge it for him on short rest.

Unless again you’ve got an itchy reload trigger finger save-or-dies aren’t very good until you have ways to debuff saves (or crank your DCs up higher) compared to all the ways you have to get and give advantage/disadvantage on attack rolls.
lmao you initially replied to me saying that the item doesn’t work on targets. Nice try spinning this retard.
It says it doesn’t unless I’ve misread it. I’ll double check. I still use it because getting Bless on SH is good, but I like having Bless up on team for initial salvo (US gets extra attack) in any event, so haven’t noticed any redundant effect yet.
“What? I can’t be wrong, it must be the game that’s wrong”.

Bro just indefinitely replay level 4 and come teach us how the game works.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
That was another perfect example in this game of seeing a cool enemy like the displacer beast and it’s copy-cat ability only to realise it’s dead before it even gets a chance to show off.
Oh no, it managed to use it twice. But the second one didn't live enough to get its first turn, because I killed the original.

Rhobar121 , I don't know what you mean by "If you follow the cat", when I reached the lair, the cat was already stationary, next to the umbral gem.

If you see a cat running down the stairs, when you go through the door a cutscene will start where the boss will start talking to you.
If you approach from the other side, he will automatically start fighting.

If fighting him was the best fight in the game, talking to him is the best dialogue in the game.

You can convince him to kill his minions, then his cat, and finally commit suicide.
Hmm, guess I'll just have to find a video of how the conversation is reached.

rojay

Scholar
He may not know what he's talking about now, but he'll spend the next few months playing the game for hours every day and he will eventually know more than you do about it. He's not stupid, he's just a huge gaping asshole who gets his kicks being condescending to people on the Codex.

It's a shame, but what are you going to do, keep shitting up the thread waving your e-peen at each other or move on?

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
He may not know what he's talking about now, but he'll spend the next few months playing the game for hours every day and he will eventually know more than you do about it. He's not stupid, he's just a huge gaping asshole who gets his kicks being condescending to people on the Codex.

It's a shame, but what are you going to do, keep shitting up the thread waving your e-peen at each other or move on?
I don’t give a shit either about him at some point knowing more than me nor shitting up this thread. He’s a fucking retard for trying to come off as authoritative on difficulty when he’s busy jerking off at level 4 and I’m gonna call it out whenever I feel like it.

rojay

Scholar

I don’t give a shit either about him at some point knowing more than me nor shitting up this thread. He’s a fucking retard for trying to come off as authoritative on difficulty when he’s busy jerking off at level 4 and I’m gonna call it out whenever I feel like it.
Attaboy!

Desiderius

Patron
I don’t need access to a passive damage effect when I’ve already got more damage than I need. I wouldn’t use it *if I had it at lvl 4*, and there are so many good new option at 3 that I’ll get instead.

Look I agree that the game is probably too forgiving at this point of shitstains that optimize (and not terribly well if you’re jizzing over Guardians) on one dimension while neglecting everything else but that*is* something I’m not in a position to judge yet until I get to the place where that approach would usually be punished.

As it is Ensnaring Strike works on non-Humanoids like Owlbears and Wood Woads, and Ranger fills a nice hole in the Companion make-up (principally high Perception and Ranged specialization) while also getting free Familiar (Raven works well), Investigation prof, and covering Longstrider and Enhance Leap as Rituals, freeing up caster slots/getting them earlier/guaranteed.

Can cover Sleight at level 6 (no crit miss from Halfling - can eventually pick up Rogue level for Expertise I guess). Halfling also gets advantage on Stealth checks.

US gets Hide as Bonus Action (huge), Darkvision, Invis ability I suck too much to figure out yet, extra attack with extra damage first round. Advantage from Stealth + High Ground + Archery fighting style + disadvantage on Ensnaring save DNE worst class.

GTFO

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I don’t need access to a passive damage effect when I’ve already got more damage than I need. I wouldn’t use it *if I had it at lvl 4*, and there are so many good new option at 3 that I’ll get instead.

Look I agree that the game is probably too forgiving at this point of shitstains that optimize (and not terribly well if you’re jizzing over Guardians) on one dimension while neglecting everything else but that*is* something I’m not in a position to judge yet until I get to the place where that approach would usually be punished.

As it is Ensnaring Strike works on non-Humanoids like Owlbears and Wood Woads, and Ranger fills a nice hole in the Companion make-up (principally high Perception and Ranged specialization) while also getting free Familiar (Raven works well), Investigation prof, and covering Longstrider and Enhance Leap as Rituals, freeing up caster slots/getting them earlier/guaranteed.

Can cover Sleight at level 6 (no crit miss from Halfling - can eventually pick up Rogue level for Expertise I guess

US gets Hide as Bonus Action (huge), Darkvision, extra attack with extra damage first round. Advantage from Stealth + High Ground + Archery fighting style + disadvantage on Ensnaring save DNE worst class.

GTFO
No you fucking retard the point was never about jizzing over SG, it’s the fact that such simple and straightforward choices are enough to roll through the entire game. That was always the point but you are too busy being a retard thinking your unnecessarily overcomplicated work around is needed to not have to ‘reload spam’ despite talking from a position where you haven’t even finished the first act so how the fuck would you know to begin with? The answer is you don’t know but don’t let that Down syndrome brain of yours stop you.

Desiderius

Patron
You’re rolling through the whole game doing 3d6 per round (+ upcast) conditional on maintaining Concentration in the middle the fight on a Medium Armor character with 13 DEX instead of her powerful buffs and neglecting more resilient/reliable strategies, without reloads?

Ok, you got me. Game’s too easy.

Nothing complicated about living in 80-95% land instead of 50-70% but hey SG damage is 100% so if you can pull it off more power to you. Had a couple fights where I thought I was getting wiped and bad guys weren’t able to put me away so I could see that being viable.

Last edited:

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
You’re rolling through the whole game doing 3d6 per round (+ upcast) conditional on maintaining Concentration in the middle the fight on a Medium Armor character with 13 DEX instead of her powerful buffs and neglecting more resilient/reliable strategies, without reloads?

I said in Act 2 like 90% of the enemies are weak to radiant and since you got access to blood of lathander you will blind the rest if they manage to survive the first round, which I always get a first start with my “opportunity cost” feat. Medium armour don’t mean shit when you get something with the AC of a plate armour from grymforge. By act 3 every party member is decked out with broken shit. Act 1 you don’t even need the damn cleric just delete everything with haste/haste potion and fighter auto attacks.

Now stfu already you clueless moron.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Nothing complicated about living in 80-95% land instead of 50-70% but hey SG damage is 100% so if you can pull it off more power to you. Had a couple fights where I thought I was getting wiped and bad guys weren’t able to put me away so I could see that being viable.
Without any respecialization and buffs. The lowest AC in my party is 20.
TFdsld6.png

If you're wondering how much AC you can get with buffs, I'm missing Shield of Faith for +2 AC.
5Lms05S.png

Don't worry about character level, I might as well load a character from the beginning of act 2 and she will have exactly the same AC.

Desiderius

Patron
Level 5 isn’t level 9. Haven’t gotten to Cloak or Shoes yet but would expect to show up by lvl 5 so that part of AC is unsurprising. 15 AC Light Armor is kind of dumb though, as is 18 DEX.

Images obviously go away but undoubtedly are great (and why I keep her Trickster). SoF means no SG. Looks like no Alert feat here either, or War Caster so any damage has 35% (?) chance of burning your slot. Or I guess DEX is from item and WIS from one Feat and Book, leaving one for Alert/WC.

23 base AC is probably about three more than game could make consistently challenging, so I could see where this would (correctly) feel too easy. Surprised you haven’t seen anything that can attack that CHR/INT save though or trigger Concentration checks through damage or cancel with Silence for instance.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Level 5 isn’t level 9. Haven’t gotten to Cloak or Shoes yet but would expect to show up by lvl 5 so that part of AC is unsurprising. 15 AC Light Armor is kind of dumb though, as is 18 DEX.

Images obviously go away but undoubtedly are great (and why I keep her Trickster). SoF means no SG. Looks like no Alert feat here either, or War Caster so any damage has 35% (?) chance of burning your slot. Or I guess DEX is from item and WIS from one Feat and Book, leaving one for Alert/WC.

23 base AC is probably about three more than game could make consistently challenging, so I could see where this would (correctly) feel too easy. Surprised you haven’t seen anything that can attack that CHR/INT save though or trigger Concentration checks through damage or cancel with Silence for instance.
You really rarely have more than one dangerous caster at a time. As long as you have a character with counterspell in your party, you're not afraid of any spells.
In fact, I spent ANSI on wisdom, and frankly, it doesn't make much difference.
The gloves set your DEX to 18 and are from act 1 (purchased from the merchant). To be honest, SH is the only character that gets a lot of benefit from them. There are much better items for other characters.
The rest of the items you actually buy from the merchants located in one place at the very beginning of act 2 (literally the first place you go when you arrive in act 2).
The armor is actually medium armor. It is one of the two armors available in Act 2 that has no AC from DEX limit. It is available from the merchant in the same place as the rest of the items.
To make it funnier in act 3 there is armor with 17 base AC.

In fact, I could go for a war caster or whatever because she doesn't really use extra wisdom most of the time (the difference between 18 and 20 is only 5%) and the extra spell slots are debatable.
I kind of wasted ANSI to increase DEX by 1 but I had no right to know about gauntlets in act 1.

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron

Typically only an asshole to those who lead with that approach (like Yosharian for instance consistently does). People say things like advantage on Perception or Ranger MC sucking I'm going to push back because they're wrong unless they're reloading a lot at which point "game is too easy" doesn't carry much weight. It should be too easy if you're reloading whenever something goes wrong. If nothing ever goes meaningfully wrong anyway then yeah that's too easy.

I play games a lot. It's my hobby, has been for forty years. One develops a certain expertise over that time even if I'm more of a tortoise than a hare. Condescending had a positive connotation for centuries before people lost their minds about hierarchies. If you're into cars and work on them a lot you'll know more than me. Why would that offend me? When I condescend it's because I see people making the same mistakes I did and seek to help them recognize where they can improve and have a better experience. Sometimes I misjudge that and the person I'm talking to knows more than me, but a lot of the time its a product of assumptions that people adopted growing up on a certain kind of game that may not apply to newer/older games. YMMV.

If SG plays out like Mobility Trickster in Wrath whether its WAI or not if its trivializing the game you can always just do something else. If mobs aren't sufficiently punishing holes in your game or the items close up holes too easily that's a more fundamental problem. I apologize if that is widely recognized to be the case and I had assumed that people hadn't sufficiently explored a tinman approach and were simply reloading too much.

Desiderius

Patron

You really rarely have more than one dangerous caster at a time. As long as you have a character with counterspell in your party, you're not afraid of any spells.
The gloves set your DEX to 18 and are from act 1 (purchased from the merchant). To be honest, SH is the only character that gets a lot of benefit from them. There are much better items for other characters.
The rest of the items you actually buy from the merchants located in one place at the very beginning of act 2 (literally the first place you go when you arrive in act 2).
The armor is actually medium armor. It is one of the two armors available in Act 2 that has no AC from DEX limit. It is available from the merchant in the same place as the rest of the items.

In fact, I could go for a war caster or whatever because she doesn't really use extra wisdom most of the time (the difference between 18 and 20 is only 5%) and the extra spell slots are debatable.
I kind of wasted ANSI to increase DEX by 1 but I had no right to know about gauntlets in act 1.

Sounds like the effect the last DLC had on Wrath. Game became essentially solved.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Sounds like the effect the last DLC had on Wrath. Game became essentially solved.
To be fair, there are a huge amount of OP items in the game. The ones I mentioned aren't even close. A small example.
5BToKj8.png

I forgot about weapons. In fact, over 95% of enemies have an even lower chance of being hit due to the constant blinding of everyone within 6m. Theoretically, it has a constitiution saving throw but I haven't seen anyone succeed.
Blindness gives enemies a disadvantages on attacks rolls.

Also that due to the AI that tries to ignore characters with high AC on the tactician, SH is rarely attacked.

ps. I forgot about that little ring you get in act 1 of the game. If for some reason you need more AC you can go up to 24 at the very beginning of act 2.
31xV3M4.png

Last edited:

Desiderius

Patron
The other reason I've stayed at low levels is that I have two playthroughs on hold for bugs and I'm anticipating adjustments being made in mid to late game on things like that CON save whether WAI or not.

Gives me a chance to try out the different classes and the party line-ups that play to their strengths before I get to the game warping stuff. Some day whether via mod or otherwise that knowledge will come in handy.

Rhobar121

Scholar
The strongest enemy in act 2 has 20 strength which is +5 and also +4 from profiniency. On tactician, every enemy also receives a +2 difficulty bonus
Most of the enemies in this act are usually max +3|+3

Last edited:

Rhobar121

Scholar
The other reason I've stayed at low levels is that I have two playthroughs on hold for bugs and I'm anticipating adjustments being made in mid to late game on things like that CON save whether WAI or not.

Gives me a chance to try out the different classes and the party line-ups that play to their strengths before I get to the game warping stuff. Some day whether via mod or otherwise that knowledge will come in handy.
Act 2 is mostly bug free. Unless you plan to take Minthara.

Yosharian

Arcane
Only thing sad with the bless on heal thing is it doesn't proc the extra 1d4 from the bless staff from the underdark mage tower.
For bigger fights I find I still need bless to hit reliably with GWM, the extra 1d4 helps a lot. But yeah without GWM hitting enemies isn't a bit deal.
Honestly that item is a little bit of a trap unless you are willing to do shenanigans in order to benefit from it while not actually equipping it

There are much better things to do with your concentration past like, level 5 and as Zeltak points out an optimised build can distribute Bless quite easily just using that ring

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom