Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 - tips, tricks & helpful information

Yosharian

Arcane
Wait someone actually took Dungeon Delver?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
As for Minor Illusion out of combat yeah having TB on helps. I am idiot.

In combat is interesting. I’m used to using Stealth at range on Umbral Stalker and Astarion (who both get Hide as Bonus) where sight cones usually don’t matter but getting free Advantage in melee is something to look into more closely. Thx for tip.

Casters don’t suck early if you play to strengths. For offensive caster that’s attacking weak save or using attack spells and surfaces/explosives since it’s easier to get advantage on those. CON is rarely weak save so Blindness is a trap if you’re not savescumming.

Outside of Guided Bolt (preferably from High Ground/Stealth) it’s unclear that SH best use is offensive casting at all.
SH best use is spamming spirit guardian upcasted as high as possible because the game is so piss easy you don't even need to use any other party members in Act 2. In fact, you don't even need SH to use any other action but to dash to cover more enemies as they just die or get blinded and die the next turn. You wouldn't know that though because you have barely left the tutorial area and write a bunch of stupid takes like you have any authority.
We’re back to people kiting around doing piddly damage both lecturing
me on how much I suck and whining about game being too easy while I’m ending fights twice as fast with much lower risk of shit going sideways.

Whatever. Spirit Weapon is fine but MC Stalker, Wyll, and whatever 4th party member already do way more damage than that. If you blew your Feat on Alert how are you keeping up Concentration so easily on Guardians (Mirror Image helps of course)? Damage is the best control but not unreliable damage when the rest of the team already supplies plenty.

And if you’re Concentrating on damage you don’t need you’re not Concentrating on Bless or all her other great buffs. I’m on War Caster all the way and may just respec her into 16 WIS forgoing Offensive Casting altogether to max Concentration and take advantage of all the bonus on Heal items.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
casters in particular, are just a bit shit until level 5 and 6

wizard gameplay seems straightforward

What seems straightforward is that you suck and haven't figured it out yet.

When you learn how to suck less you'll be a little embarrassed but that will be offset by a sense of accomplishment.
When is this clown going to admit the game is piss easy and all you need is to employ the most basic strategies to win. Enough with the posing already.
When you put away the holy reload button.
Nigga please, I had to reload two fights. One was Grymforge because I didn't get the mechanics immediately (was a good encounter btw) and the second one was hag, because you guessed it, I wasn't lvl 5 yet. That's it. With alert feat you will never get surprised and pretty much guaranteed start first to take out all the immediate threats.

Why are you still talking about difficulty curve when you haven't even finished druid grove? Stop the clown act, you are just extrapolating irrelevant conclusions based on other games or something because it certainly isn't based on BG3.
I have finished Druid Grove. Pretty much done with overground stuff and headed to Underdark, when I respecced into Dungeon Delver on Ranger MC and discovered it isn’t working.

Taking Alert feat is high opportunity cost you wouldn’t have to pay with more resilient/versatile team or if game were as faceroll as you’re claiming.

Haven’t seen a ton that can really punish one-dimensional groups/builds yet but doesn’t take much imagination to figure out what that would look like or to anticipate the devs who brought us D:OS games presenting those kind of challenges mid/late.

So I’m preparing instead of whining about one-dimensional approaches owning things weak to that dimension.
Dude stop talking about shit you haven’t even played through.

For the third time I have already finished the game on Tactician by the time I saw your post about Kagha (which meant btw that you were still in the early stages of Druid grove). And yet you say stupid shit like “alert is a high opportunity cost” like this fucking matters in this game lol (spoiler: it doesn’t because again, I finished the game so I KNOW THIS).

This game gets easier the further you progress. The hardest part was lvl 1-4. You can basically solo act 2 with SH. By the time you reach act 3 you can do whatever the fuck you want because you will be swimming in op items.

Now please stfu and stop quoting people and say they need to “stop sucking” for saying shit like wizards are straightforward when in fact every goddamn class is because you don’t need to do anything complex in BG3. That’s the whole problem with the difficulty curve.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
since initiative is d4 instead of d20 alert is ridiculously good. no matter what fight your character pretty much always goes first even with dumped dex and first turn pretty much decides every fight.

sure if you want to hide around so you can surprise attack or don't mind loading if you get surprised you can skip it but its such a nice QoL feat.

and yes it is possible to finish the game without it.

I respecced into Dungeon Delver
Taking Alert feat is high opportunity cost
:nocountryforshitposters:
He doesn’t know this shit because he’s just talking out of his tutorial level ass.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
As for Minor Illusion out of combat yeah having TB on helps. I am idiot.

In combat is interesting. I’m used to using Stealth at range on Umbral Stalker and Astarion (who both get Hide as Bonus) where sight cones usually don’t matter but getting free Advantage in melee is something to look into more closely. Thx for tip.

Casters don’t suck early if you play to strengths. For offensive caster that’s attacking weak save or using attack spells and surfaces/explosives since it’s easier to get advantage on those. CON is rarely weak save so Blindness is a trap if you’re not savescumming.

Outside of Guided Bolt (preferably from High Ground/Stealth) it’s unclear that SH best use is offensive casting at all.
SH best use is spamming spirit guardian upcasted as high as possible because the game is so piss easy you don't even need to use any other party members in Act 2. In fact, you don't even need SH to use any other action but to dash to cover more enemies as they just die or get blinded and die the next turn. You wouldn't know that though because you have barely left the tutorial area and write a bunch of stupid takes like you have any authority.
We’re back to people kiting around doing piddly damage both lecturing
me on how much I suck and whining about game being too easy while I’m ending fights twice as fast with much lower risk of shit going sideways.

Whatever. Spirit Weapon is fine but MC Stalker, Wyll, and whatever 4th party member already do way more damage than that. If you blew your Feat on Alert how are you keeping up Concentration so easily on Guardians (Mirror Image helps of course)? Damage is the best control but not unreliable damage when the rest of the team already supplies plenty.

And if you’re Concentrating on damage you don’t need you’re not Concentrating on Bless or all her other great buffs. I’m on War Caster all the way and may just respec her into 16 WIS forgoing Offensive Casting altogether to max Concentration and take advantage of all the bonus on Heal items.
You don’t need to cast bless because:

1. Enemies are so weak in this game that major threats are deleted in the first round and,

2. If you still need it then just use the bless on heal ring as this game hands out op items way too early in the game. Two rounds of concentration-free bless is all you need.

“I have made 30% progress on the first act but let me tell you, who finished the entire game, why you are wrong on the difficulty.” Fucking retard.

cretin

Arcane
Douchebag!
Good lord, karlach :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

It doesn't matter how you approach the initial interaction, they've tried so hard to railroad the player into thinking she's a victim even if you end up picking the most aggressive options right off the bat. No subtlety whatsoever.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone else had it so that Yurgir and his gang are immediately hostile? You're supposed to be able to talk to them.

Rhobar121

Scholar
Anyone else had it so that Yurgir and his gang are immediately hostile? You're supposed to be able to talk to them.
Depends on which side you come from.
If you follow the cat, the conversation will start automatically.
It makes sense because it's supposed to be a trap.

By the way, the guy is funny after he won the initiative and killed 3/4 of my team in his turn. The only such fight in the game.

CHIN00K

Novice
If you blew your Feat on Alert how are you keeping up Concentration so easily on Guardians
There's a ton of items that give you the effect of war caster without having to take the feat. Apparently larian REALLY wanted to ensure nobody took any feats other than ASI.
And if you’re Concentrating on damage you don’t need you’re not Concentrating on Bless or all her other great buffs
Bless is good early, but enemy AC is never an issue past act 1. It's never hard to hit anything unless you deliberately make a weak character. If your cleric's concentrating on anything other than spirit guardians, you're just gimping yourself. It's too good.

PapaPetro

There's a ton of items that give you the effect of war caster without having to take the feat. Apparently larian REALLY wanted to ensure nobody took any feats other than ASI.
I kinda like that Larian loaded so many passive-feat gear in the game; allows you to plan builds around those items for future runs.
Reminds me of replaying BG2 as a Kensai/Mage and remembering to go straight for Celestial Fury.

Plus build enabling uniques are

Last edited by a moderator:

Desiderius

Patron
Evidently yes, although I shouldn't judge because I chose Skilled to get proficiency in Persuasion and Intimidation
It’s really not hard to get to the place where you don’t need to reload any checks, but you do have to invest in it which offsets the opportunities to go full munchkin.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
If you blew your Feat on Alert how are you keeping up Concentration so easily on Guardians
And if you’re Concentrating on damage you don’t need you’re not Concentrating on Bless or all her other great buffs
Bless is good early, but enemy AC is never an issue past act 1. It's never hard to hit anything unless you deliberately make a weak character. If your cleric's concentrating on anything other than spirit guardians, you're just gimping yourself. It's too good.
Lmao war caster, what a useless fucking feat from mr. Opportunity cost in a game where you don’t need somatic components to cast spells. Resilient is much better with an odd constitution point to even out or just use mintharas armour.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Evidently yes, although I shouldn't judge because I chose Skilled to get proficiency in Persuasion and Intimidation
It’s really not hard to get to the place where you don’t need to reload any checks, but you do have to invest in it which offsets the opportunities to go full munchkin.
No you don’t and you picked the shittiest subclass of the shittiest base class in the game. Anything the ranger can do other classes can do better. Holy shit this is hilarious.

Rhobar121

Scholar
No you don’t and you picked the shittiest subclass of the shittiest base class in the game. Anything the ranger can do other classes can do better. Holy shit this is hilarious.
Of course it's true, but since the game is pretty easy who cares?
I made gloom stalker 5 / selune war cleric 7 because I could.

Desiderius

Patron
Bless also buffs saves. Again, as with PF I’ve already got damage coming out of my ears as long as I’m hitting and making saves. Maybe if you were doing so more consistently than you’re portraying here you wouldn’t be so impressed with a little splash damage once per turn.

Passive is always good but Concentration isn’t the easiest thing to keep up even with good AC/Con saves since you can slip on ice or get shoved or whatever.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Yes but he’s trying to make it sound like you need to ‘invest in it’ like you really have to think about your build to avoid reloads which makes it hilarious in this context.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Bless also buffs saves. Again, as with PF I’ve already got damage coming out of my ears as long as I’m hitting and making saves. Maybe if you were doing so more consistently than you’re portraying here you wouldn’t be so impressed with a little splash damage once per turn.

Passive is always good but Concentration isn’t the easiest thing to keep up even with good AC/Con saves since you can slip on ice or get shoved or whatever.
Again you are aware of the free bless on heal ring right? You are basically arguing why it’s bad to waste your concentration on bless when this item exists in the game as early as finding Volo in Druid grove. You could be throwing hold person or some useful CC instead before getting access to spirit guardians.

Rhobar121

Scholar

It's trivial to give SH enough AC to make it not a problem.
From what I've noticed enemies only use Shove when they can push you, which should never happen if you're positioned well.
Things like ice are only a problem if you create it yourself.

Desiderius

Patron
US seems to lend itself well to multiclassing since what you get after lvl 5/7/9 doesn’t seem all that great. I am looking forward to getting even more casts (and upcasts) of Ensnaring Strike which comes with built-in disadvantage. Though with Advantage from Bonus Action Hide and Extra Attack at the beginning of every combat Spellthief does a pretty good job keeping me topped up.

If Stalker’s Flurry replaces *every* miss that could be worth sticking around for.

Desiderius

Patron

Again you are aware of the free bless on heal ring right? You are basically arguing why it’s bad to waste your concentration on bless when this item exists in the game as early as finding Volo in Druid grove. You could be throwing hold person or some useful CC instead before getting access to spirit guardians.
Blesses healer, not target. Gloves from Tiefling leader gives Resistance to the healed.

Zeltak

Educated
Patron
Village Idiot
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Blesses healer, not target. Gloves from Tiefling leader gives Resistance to the healed.
Incorrect.
https://baldursgate3.wiki.fextralife.com/The+Whispering+Promise

volklore

Arcane
Only thing sad with the bless on heal thing is it doesn't proc the extra 1d4 from the bless staff from the underdark mage tower.
For bigger fights I find I still need bless to hit reliably with GWM, the extra 1d4 helps a lot. But yeah without GWM hitting enemies isn't a bit deal.

Last edited:

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
whats the str treshold to throw full sized humanoid? I know that with 18 I can do it with goblins and dwarves.
qB4sx0P.gif
I can't talk from experience, but have you tried casting Enlarge on the thrower character?
found this on wiki
At 20 strength, a 80kg object or creature can be thrown; a human is 75kg for reference. A 19 strength (72.2kg) character cannot throw a human.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom