Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Vyvian

Educated
Guys I'm starting to think Swen was bullshitting when he said choices that go against the typical "good" path were fleshed out.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
How can I save Creche as Lyzel?
Basically, possibilities are:
1. murder everyone.
2. murder everyone.
3. explode with everyone.
4. let Lizel to ran away from party to Creshe where she woudl survive the extraction... possibly... then she'd murder everyone.
5. Kill Inquisitors later, then kill everyone.
6. Kill Inquisitors FIRST, then nobody explains HOW EVERYONE knows that stuff... and instead of leaving out and truthfully saying queen said inquisitors were weaklings thus no loss. Aka an accidental peaceful solution, you have to fight as if someone was alive in the room where queen talked. Queen isn't physically present, how the fuck could the rest of Creshe know.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Evil gives you
- Less experience
- Fewer quests
- Broken/impossible questlines
- Fewer items
- Fewer vendors
- A shit ending
- Shit reactivity

And don't get me started on Durge, which also gives you nothing and all choices regarding indulging your urge are meaningless.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, that's because Larian is dumb. They based the world on "multiculturality" fanaticism, instead of on normal each species is fighting to protect theirs own territory against immigration. Some areas are exception, and tourism ISN'T right.

Gith are in war with Illithids, they deployed Creche on that planet. And they want to keep Illithid at bay. Inquisitors want to search for some magic artifact, they send some hordes of soldiers against some towers. And there are some adventurers that somehow are not turned into mindflayer, and it's likely they would both screw up mindflayers and find/return artifact. So, what's logical conclusion?
Keep surviving soldiers alive and fight against midflayers before they would become even LARGER problems.
What would be one of largest stupidities they could do? Do what Larian did...

Basically this is fanfic level of story and writing.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Welp, finally got Minsc, and I don't mind saying I had a bit of a sentimental moment :lol:

So many years ago lol.

The voice actor does a credible job, but he doesn't quite lay on the fake Russian accent with a trowel as much as the original one did.

Now the question is how to build the useless fucker :) Speaking of which, I recently came across the original character sheet from tabletop sessions on which Minsc was based, pretty cool:-

Minsc_Character_Sheet_from_Cameron_Tofer_pen&paper_game.jpg

Rhobar121

Scholar
I'm disappointed that Ranger is just a fighter with extra steps, right down to heavy armor proficiency.
Welcome to 5e. The reworked ranger is still better than in raw 5e which I guess says how shitty this class is.
Most of the class features that ranger has only work in specific situations in PNP and even then it is not the best class.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I'm disappointed that Ranger is just a fighter with extra steps, right down to heavy armor proficiency.
Welcome to 5e. The reworked ranger is still better than in raw 5e which I guess says how shitty this class is.
Most of the class features that ranger has only work in specific situations in PNP and even then it is not the best class.
I thought some of the options might lead to, you know, better class features but instead you can be a Ranger Knight, Bounty Hunter, Mage Slayer or whatever all at the same time...and get shitty lvl 1 features for it.

Rhobar121

Scholar
I thought some of the options might lead to, you know, better class features but instead you can be a Ranger Knight, Bounty Hunter, Mage Slayer or whatever all at the same time...and get shitty lvl 1 features for it.
This is still better than Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer from 5e which does virtually nothing in the game environment.

Darth Valer

Literate
Can someone summarize for me the main criticisms towards the game from the codex? I'm at 150 hours midway through Act 3 and oddly enough the game has been a crescendo for me (been playing with the 'Zerd's RAW' mod that wonderfully adapts many larianisms to the PNP rules). Many game systems suck but the overall experience has been very good and I can't recall many single player games that have kept me freshly entartained after 60 ~ hours, let alone 150, and I'm even doing an evil run that is objectively worse.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
Can someone summarize for me the main criticisms towards the game from the codex? I'm at 150 hours midway through Act 3 and oddly enough the game has been a crescendo for me (been playing with the 'Zerd's RAW' mod that wonderfully adapts many larianisms to the PNP rules). Many game systems suck but the overall experience has been very good and I can't recall many single player games that have kept me freshly entartained after 60 ~ hours, let alone 150, and I'm even doing an evil run that is objectively worse.
Main plot incoherent at times, some cringeworthy dialogue (particularly in relation to romance and sex), encounter design that is great to begin with but declines as the game goes on (still some good Act 3 fights though), increasing bugginess in later acts, some elements of the C&C are illusory, reactivity is often limited to the quest chains you made a specific decision in rather than impacting other quests, the main plot or the world as a whole, and limited ending paths/ absent epilogues (comment on ending quality, spoilered just in case you want to go in completely blind). I agree with you that it's still an excellent game and I enjoyed it a lot, but I think the fact that it's so fun and gets you invested is part of what makes the negatives sting for a lot of people. It's still easily one of the best RPGs in recent years but I don't think the criticisms are misplaced either.

I'm tired so at the moment I'm not going to go on most of the main criticism but holy shit are the companions dreadful. Just unbearable.

Parabalus

Arcane
Evil gives you
- Less experience
- Fewer quests
- Fewer items
- Fewer vendors
- A shit ending
- Shit reactivity

And don't get me started on Durge, which also gives you nothing and all choices regarding indulging your urge are meaningless.
Disagree, you get rid of the most annoying NPCs, and you hit level 12 at the beginning of A3 anyway.

Durge gives you good items and makes A3 story beter.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
This is still better than Favored Enemy and Natural Explorer from 5e which does virtually nothing in the game environment.

Have no idea what you clowns are talking about. Disadvantage on Ensnaring Strike Save is nuts. Then you get free familiar/sleight of hand/or fire resist at lvl one.

All the Beast Master Companions are broken once you hit lvl five, and not awful before that.

Rhobar121

Scholar

Have no idea what you clowns are talking about. Disadvantage on Ensnaring Strike Save is nuts. Then you get free familiar/sleight of hand/or fire resist at lvl one.

All the Beast Master Companions are broken once you hit lvl five, and not awful before that.
I was talking about the raw 5e. The ranger implementation in BG3 has nothing to do with how it works in 5e.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Have you reached Act 2 yet?

Sarathiour

Cipher
Evil gives you
- Less experience
- Fewer quests
- Fewer items
- Fewer vendors
- A shit ending
- Shit reactivity

So far, I would say that this is not even about evil choice, but about choices that the cuck squad narratively does not like. The games give you opportunity, but if your dare trying to go against the flow, it's like the game master get pissed and decide that you will get nothing because that's not what you were supposed to be choosing.

Last edited:

Black

Arcane
In EA there was this one goblin priestess that offered to mark with you the brand of her new god. It let you influence other marked characters and certain items were only fully functional if the wearer had the mark.
Obviously most people didn't get the brand because carrying the mark of the beast surely would have some consequences down the road. It didn't in EA but it was only act 1 and early in development.
So I just went searching what are the negative consequences in the whole game for getting a magical goblin tramp stamp.
It's nothing.
Nothing bad happens.

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
In EA there was this one goblin priestess that offered to mark with you the brand of her new god. It let you influence other marked characters and certain items were only fully functional if the wearer had the mark.
Obviously most people didn't get the brand because carrying the mark of the beast surely would have some consequences down the line. It didn't in EA but it was only act 1 and early in development.
So I just went searching what are the negative consequences in the whole game for getting a magical goblin tramp stamp.
It's nothing.
Nothing bad happens.
Same with putting more tadpoles into your brain because a nice illithid asked you to.

It feels like they planned consequences initially and then abandoned the idea altogether after testing.

Swen

Scholar
Shitposter
It's a masterpiece. Literally only problem is the ending not having some slideshows.

ACT 3 is still good, the "it gets bad in act3" is a psyop by the typical larian haters.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Me (22f) and my boyfriend (24m) of 4 years, recently got into playing BG3 co-op! And so far it's been a lot of fun! We've been super invested into the story, and I've had a lot of fun discovering the plot and figuring out the gameplay mechanics with him! However, the trouble started as soon as we ran into Shadowheart in the crash region. At first it was just 'oh she's cute' which I didn't really mind, I mean obviously she is cute, but lately it has gotten worse and worse. He absolutely refuses to swap her out for another party member, and everytime she says *ANYTHING* he can't seem to help himself but remark with something along the lines of 'awwwwh' or 'she's so cute.'

I really didn't mind it at first, but lately it's start to become annoying. When we were messing around with the characters underwear (sorry!) he discovered Shadowheart had a 'bush' (which i do NOT have) and he couldn't help but comment on how 'well designed' it was. Normally I'd never feel like I'd be in competition with a videogame character, but there was an extended moment of awkward silence where my boyfriend didn't talk while... 'examining' this part of her.. it was humiliating! Even after I tried to suggest that we change our party members, all he could say was 'we need the bless babe.'

Fast forward a week later to now, he drove over to my apartment to spend the weekend together as we usually do, except this time was different. It seemed like he just wasn't interested, his words were shallow and short and he came off as being bored the entire time. When we finally turned it in for the night I was excited to show him something Shadowheart couldnt do with him, and he was completely uninterested! He just turned over in the bed and said he was tired, and fell asleep 30 seconds later.

Now that he's back home, I notice he's offline on steam (ON HIS DAY OFF) and he tells me that he's sick. But after checking his steam page several times, I can see that his hours on BG3 are STILL INCREASING. He's hiding his account in offline mode to spend time with shadowheart without me.

What do I do? Do I change class to cleric so he can't use her? Do I dye my hair black like her? I've never been in competition with a videogame character before.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath

Have you reached Act 2 yet?
Almost there (and almost to level 6). I'm learning a ruleset and an implementation of it, not just a game. Doesn't take a genius to see where things are headed.

I was on board with your complaint but it's looking like with Withers that midgame respec is playing as designed. If you play the class as Strider into Aragorn with sneaky/ranged early DEX-based moving to melee STR-based tank late as the good Heavy Armor shows up then The Favored Enemy/Natural Explorer stacking can be seen to support that. Native Resistance no fuss no muss from Natural Explorer is good both for an early scout and late hard target, and likewise Favored Enemy Ensnaring Strike disadvantage can be used in melee (there's even a Shield that applies it as Bonus action with no Concentration required, and could really go off with Nature Sense staff Fly Trap proc on hit for unlimited use) with STR-based Ranger Knight once you pick up Difficult Terrain immunity.

You can change Fighting Style if you want at the respec into STR-based (or just use Hill Giant Elixirs/items if you don't want to respec) or just hang on to it for Throwing Weapons/Items.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom