Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
I think the companions are pretty mediocre overall, but I was genuinely, positively suprised by Minsc of all people
I find them layered. Mediocre on the surface, but piles of abysmal shit within.

I find that I hate them all the more I deal with them.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
I heard a theory (by a female) that the reason Wyll is training kids is so that he'll seem like a trustworthy (or fuckable) father figure to female players.

The 7-man cucksquad strikes again.

Ironically, she hates him now because she feels like it's manipulation.
Honestly I'm not sure if the person/people who thought 'provoke the blade and suffer its sting' was a badass introduction are capable of even that meagre level of subtlety

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
While I do like that CRPGs are financially viable again, I think BG3 did lose a lot of its magic catering to a wider audience including tranime watchers like what you just posted. I preferred when Wyll was a fraud, when Shadowheart actually acted like a Shar worshipper. I think the game was heading for a darker tone but people didnt like that. Good business decision, bad artistic one.
Now that we've played the game, we know that we never really had a shot at a decent product. Whomever came up with whatever was decent at the beginning of EA either did it as a fluke, or the 7-man cuck squad got hired to shit all over their work at some point or another.

There's basically nothing redeemable about companions as is. Lae'zel is a funny murder frog - that's about the most complementary thing I can say about the companion writing at this point.

I think the companions are pretty mediocre overall, but I was genuinely, positively suprised by Minsc of all people
I wonder if the writers weren't too occupied to think of the companions as of alternate Main Characters to write them as companions. I'd even say there was a degree of envy - my alternate Main is more important than this or that the player might do with his custom PC. Case in point - finishing the temple of Shar fails some unfinished sidequests without a clear necesssity to for them to be failed.

volklore

Arcane
Why not just hire a real writing team
Oh yeah the mythical good writers that exist somewhere. I've been 5 steps ahead of you years ago when I've started my anti-storyfaggot genocide crusade.

Typical writer who's out there on the job market has a literature degree of some kind. What kind of stuff is he being taught there you can figure out yourself. Typical recent, new published author, and that includes genre fiction is a woman in her late 20's to early 30's writing ultra woke slop(did you know about this trope-ridden story? How about it, but the MC is a lesbian?). Those who will want to adjust themselves to work with a game dev studio in multi-writer team are also on the lower end of the already abysmal quality there. Outside of them you will have gigantic problems finding people who's skill as a writer or an ability to deliver a finished script on time can be confirmed in any sort of objective manner.

This doesn't even touch the fact that you may pick up the most skilled and talented writer in the world but due to the particularities of a creative process you're not guaranteed good output, but again that's like me in 2016 writing anti-storyfaggot screeds all over this website and getting thrown into prosperland as a reward for telling the truth.
None of this is an excuse for obviously weird/stupid decisions like having a gay mind flayer as an antagonist who wants to have sex with the player.

It doesn't require a good writer to say "Hey, that idea is retarded. Come up with something else.", and have a brainstorming session for new ideas.

No one is forcing you to take every idea are offered by whatever gaggle of writing queers you've decided to overpay for their fanfics.
Assuming writing in videogames is anything else than corporate customer base management.
I'd imagine meeting went like this : mindflayer sex ? Does it seem like average criticial role enjoyer would find funny ? OK put it in!

Non-Edgy Gamer

Grand Dragon
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Strap Yourselves In
Assuming writing in videogames is anything else than corporate customer base management.
I'd imagine meeting went like this : mindflayer sex ? Does it seem like average criticial role enjoyer would find funny ? OK put it in!
Judging by BG3, I'd imagine a lot of meetings at Larian had someone saying "ok, put it in!". Probably not in the way you mean it though.

TheDarkUrge

Educated
Mindflayer sex and gay bear sex is a tiny issue compared to the fact the main plot doesn't even make sense narratively despite being completely on rails the whole time.
You can't kill the squid at any point despite it teasing you of the possibility at many points. There isn't a single alternate ending besides gale's one, which isn't even really an ending. Just an "oh right we could probably end the game there with a simple fade to white". The brain tricked you and then just flies off and lets you keep the stones until you get orpheus brain sucked lmao. I just don't get it.

BruceVC

Magister
Why not just hire a real writing team
Oh yeah the mythical good writers that exist somewhere. I've been 5 steps ahead of you years ago when I've started my anti-storyfaggot genocide crusade.

Typical writer who's out there on the job market has a literature degree of some kind. What kind of stuff is he being taught there you can figure out yourself. Typical recent, new published author, and that includes genre fiction is a woman in her late 20's to early 30's writing ultra woke slop(did you know about this trope-ridden story? How about it, but the MC is a lesbian?). Those who will want to adjust themselves to work with a game dev studio in multi-writer team are also on the lower end of the already abysmal quality there. Outside of them you will have gigantic problems finding people who's skill as a writer or an ability to deliver a finished script on time can be confirmed in any sort of objective manner.

This doesn't even touch the fact that you may pick up the most skilled and talented writer in the world but due to the particularities of a creative process you're not guaranteed good output, but again that's like me in 2016 writing anti-storyfaggot screeds all over this website and getting thrown into prosperland as a reward for telling the truth.
None of this is an excuse for obviously weird/stupid decisions like having a gay mind flayer as an antagonist who wants to have sex with the player.

It doesn't require a good writer to say "Hey, that idea is retarded. Come up with something else.", and have a brainstorming session for new ideas.

No one is forcing you to take every idea are offered by whatever gaggle of writing queers you've decided to overpay for their fanfics.
Okay but lets not body shame, I agree Mind Flayers arent attractive but what if your prospective Mind Flayer Romance has a nice personality?

Not everything is about looks and aesthetics?

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron
another problem I have with the ending choice

gay mindflayer just fucks off and sides with brain if you want to try kill it with alternative way, WHY
but at least this game showed never to trust mindflayer which was obvious already

just

Liturgist

gay mindflayer just fucks off and sides with brain if you want to try kill it with alternative way, WHY
but at least this game showed never to trust mindflayer which was obvious already
he only does this if you had sex with him...

Screenshot_20230822-070058_Chrome.jpg

Jermu

Arbiter
Patron

he only does this if you had sex with him...
think that is not true, Im quite confident I reloaded my save after posting picture about that scene in here

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Someone should make a puritan mod for this game to solve the woke vs non woke thing.
A) It's going to be a ton of work.
B) No mod tools have been released as of yet, so people are hacking together mods using DOS tools.
C) Even if you spend the time to make said mod, it will get deleted and your account will be banned from whichever modding site.

I still plan to try to make a lite version of this sort of mod, but I'm waiting until the mod community sorts out some useful tools for it before wasting a lot of time on a game I like less and less.

Yeah I haven’t even tried playing it yet so unaware of scope. Too much real life, not enough time

Darth Valer

Literate
I have a question on game balance, being still at level 6. Are Extra Attack classes (with a bit of setup) unbelievably stronger than everything else from level 5 onwards or does the situation change at some point? (Tactician Mode, non spam-resting environment)

volklore

Arcane
I have a question on game balance, being still at level 6. Are Extra Attack classes (with a bit of setup) unbelievably stronger than everything else from level 5 onwards or does the situation change at some point? (Tactician Mode, non spam-resting environment)
If as a goal you try to minimize rest further than what the game allows you to, then yes, martials are going to be great since they don't have spell slots and tend to have abilities restored on short rests. So they can keep going when casters are out of spells.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
My female friends hates men that train children.
Roll for perception.

Honestly I'm not sure if the person/people who thought 'provoke the blade and suffer its sting' was a badass introduction are capable of even that meagre level of subtlety
Would've been a cool introduction for a College of Swords Bard. Who was maybe telling stories to the kids in camp.
Maybe his story would be that he made up shit about his adventures, but actually is a schmuck. And maybe his redemption would be living up to his stories. Not dissimilar to the current Wyll.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
Competent writers in 2023 that wanna write videogames? Yeah, I don't think so.

See, this is what I'm talking about - this general delusion that people give a shit where the money for their mortgage comes from.

Video games aren't badly written because they're not prestigious enough, they're badly written because they don't pay for good writing.

They’re mostly badly written because for some reason everyone who works in the industry now is a faggot. I had the misfortune of working near a large major studio for a while and every employee I met had pink or blue hair and was “nonbinary” or whatever. Games were good when they were written by antisocial nerds who liked TTRPGs and black metal, they became bad when the nerds got replaced by walking 2013 era tumblr memes

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Wyll is just the blandest companion all around. Unmemorable design and voice. Virtually nonexistant character arc, the consequences of defying his patron are more like a minor inconvenience and he still wants to keep the warlock powers so there is no strong motive to get rid of her. Cast out by his father, but isn't bothered by it so it isn't a source of conflict either. And he lacks distinct mannerism unlike say Astarion or Karlach. A good character making a deal with a devil should lead to either to character being forced to decide between morals or capability, either by persevering through continuous punishments or slowly becoming the thing you hated in the first place. Wyll is like a hackjob of the former, it would've been more interesting if he got murderous urges and small mutations here and there if he was to defy the patron's small tasks instead of what we got.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
What the fuck game is she playing because that sounds really based. I played as a tiefling and was treated just fine. Maybe you shouldn't be a demanding bitch and respect your hosts. Than again it shouldn't be a surprise that someone who is melanated doesn't understand such concepts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom