Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
JamesDixon what's your current favorite setting? Nothing implied with it, just curious. I think Faerun is a lost cause too, although I'd say it went from bad to worse in 4E while I guess you might say 3E.

Grayhawk? Dragonlance? Ravenloft? Something else/custom?

Gradenmayer

Learned
Yeah but I was talking about The Adversary.
Whatever your opinion of The Adversary, its much better than what's actually in the game.

Major spoiler:
"The Emperor" is a mindflayer that was a male adventurer from Baldur's Gate who got turned into a mindflayer, but somehow (game doesn't say) he retained his identity and broke free of the Elder Brain. Then he led a life in Baldur's Gate feeding on criminals in the night. He amassed a fortune behind the scenes and became known as "The Emperor". He later got re-enthralled by the elder brain, but then broke free again. Somehow he has a bunch of intellect devourers that work for him, as well as access to ancient mindflayer larvae. The game doesn't say how.

IMO, he was meant to be The Adversary, but they didn't want to pay royalties to someone, or had some other copyright issue. As is, the he's a discount version of The Adversary, and makes little sense.

Anyway, the point I think the other poster was making about Alhoons was that mindflayers can and do break free of elder brains. That much is 2E lore.
Renegade mind flayers are a thing in 5E

5E isn't D&D. It's DANDINO and refer to my signature. DANDINO is fan rules written by morons.

5E is garbage, we established that.
Renegade mindflayers were a thing in 2E. Menzoberranzan, 1992.

Forgotten Degeneracy is rejected due to the fact it is degenerate. Going purely by the monster manuals for the rest of AD&D 2E there is no such thing as renegades.
You are the same type of retard that says “this canon is not fit for modern day so we are changing it” whenever they create absolute dogshit that takes a dump on existing lore.

Orud

Scholar
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
"This game is so shit, I was glued to my monitor for a whole week and no-lifed my way through it, so I can tell you all about its shittiness."

I'll never understand these "people".
"It's the most mundane RPG I've ever played, truly nothing special about it. I do feel compelled to play it again and look forward to do so."

- Actual quote from a few dozen pages back.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Nerevar maybe don't spoil the ending for people who didn't no-life it from day one.

"This game is so shit, I was glued to my monitor for a whole week and no-lifed my way through it, so I can tell you all about its shittiness."

I do. I had a weird cousin dying in front of his computer covered in potato crisps and jizz stains.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Sera-Dragon-Age-Inquisition-video-games-38806654-760-1040.jpg

A thing is for certain feels nice for once have attractive elves.

Bioware abbandoned those

View attachment 40008
Basically the same person, Shart just had lip reduction surgery, dyed her hair and put on some makeup.

Please visit an ophthalmologist before operating a vehicle.

Kiste

Augur
Nerevar maybe don't spoil the ending for people who didn't no-life it from day one.

I do. I had a weird cousin dying in front of his computer covered in potato crisps and jizz stains.

Man, now I'm really worried about Nerevar's welfare.

I hope he's OK.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

Man, now I'm really worried about Nerevar's welfare.

I hope he's OK.

He's clearly not.

Herumor

Scholar
Here is an idea guys. What if the game had Ending slides or an actual ending? Instead of 1 minute + of random peasants (all nigs and women) killing disabled Illithids oh and after showing all the disgusting mutt peasants it says "This is what you fought for you're a hero!" the ending CERTAINLY did not make me feel very fucking heroic. It made me feel like a bad person.
Honestly, yeah, this was really, really lacking. I think this is one of those things that'll be placed in the game when they release a definitive edition or whatever, but it's still weird how this isn't in the base game on release. They don't have to go over everything, but some of the bigger events and the aftermath of your choices would have been appreciated.
No because that's Sci Fi.

Where do these aliens come from? If they have the technology to travel from distant planets, why don't they have other alien technology? Why don't they have alien weaponry? Where are their guns and laser weapons
Right, because anything involving other planets /planes of existence and so on is by definition SciFi? Are you retarded?

You better never read anything by Raymond Feist, or shit like The Death Gate Cycle or Dragonriders of Pern. Or play Planescape: Torment for that matter. Your head might explode.
How did my username end up in your quote when I didn't say anything from that quote?

dukeofwoodberry

Educated

Where do these aliens come from? If they have the technology to travel from distant planets, why don't they have other alien technology? Why don't they have alien weaponry? Where are their guns and laser weapons
Right, because anything involving other planets /planes of existence and so on is by definition SciFi? Are you retarded?

You better never read anything by Raymond Feist, or shit like The Death Gate Cycle or Dragonriders of Pern. Or play Planescape: Torment for that matter. Your head might explode.
Other planes of existence not necessarily but when you're incorporating spaceships outer space travel that means they have highly advanced scientific technology. So yeah its sci fi. And if they have that technology why would it only be used for space ships and not incorporated into any other aspect of their world conquering?

Now other planes, cults, summoning, ect... that would fit a lot better with the setting.

Kiste

Augur
Other planes of existence not necessarily but when you're incorporating spaceships outer space travel that means they have highly advanced scientific technology. So yeah its sci fi. And if they have that technology why would it only be used for space ships and not incorporated into any other aspect of their world conquering?
FR cosmology doesn't work like our universe. Traveling is done by opening portals in the Astral Sphere and then traversing Astral Wild Space to sail the Astral Sea or some shit like that. I am sure there are people here who know all about it (I don't).

Point is: it's not fucking Newtonian physics and General Relativity. It's not Science Fiction. There is zero science in the fiction.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm fine guys it is the holidays for me until the end of the month I still cook my own meals and do my workouts. I'm just not going out and fucking girls so I purposely stopped going out to play this shit.

What would have been better for me as a human being injecting myself with a huge amount of digital faggotry or going out drinking and dogging birds and then listening to boomers tell me about how "Gothic is the best RPG ever".

Me and my Russian mate are playing the game I just play fast he's just at the tower now.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
A little bit of neat reactivity to your earlier choices was the
death of Khaga
during my victory celebration in the camp (tho I don't know who invited that bitch, but she was standing there apart from all others, being pissed off and shit). This happened:

During my first encounter with her, I failed at saving the child from the snake. The child died and the parents were devastated. During the camp celebration Khaga gets poisoned by the parents. If you don't intervene, she will be Julius Ceasared by the mother.

That was pretty nice. Also liked how everyone in the Grove had something nice to say about my achievements. Or, if loyal to Khaga, being pissed with me. Many also were referencing the dead child, so that was taken into account.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Aliens in fantasy setting is indeed incredibly retarded. I'm no D&D lore expert

I mean, that was obvious from your first sentence
Yeah it's retarded. I didn't blame Larian but whoever wants aliens and spaceships in fantasy is a mongoloid.

Spaceships were first introduced in 1980's S3 Expedition to Barrier Peaks which takes place in Greyhawk. It was written by Saint Gary Gygax. It was an attempt to tie the Gamma World system and setting to D&D. So you just called the Father and Patron Saint of Gaming a mongoloid. Typical of a zoomer.

Yeah it's retarded. I didn't blame Larian but whoever wants aliens and spaceships in fantasy is a mongoloid.
That would be TSR back in the 80s with Spelljammer.

It's like you're watching a Star Wars movie and complaining about there being glowing swords and magic powers in your sci fi. :roll:

Spelljammer is where they came from which was first published in 1989 for AD&D 2E. Strictly speaking, everything not native to a campaign world is an alien. Whether they be demons, devils, mind flayers, etc... They're all aliens.

Where do these aliens come from?
From 1st Edition D&D, by Gary Gygax.

Correct from S3 Expedition to Barrier Peaks that takes place in the Barrier Peak Mountains of Greyhawk.

This 2e shit is pushing passed the suspension of disbelief. It's just too bloated and not focused. We're mixing high fantasy, fairy tales, cthulu shit, sci if. Throwing too much shit at the wall
ftfy.

If only TSR hadn't tainted Baldur's Gate with this modern nonsense back in (checks notes) 1989!

:hero:

JamesDixon what's your current favorite setting? Nothing implied with it, just curious. I think Faerun is a lost cause too, although I'd say it went from bad to worse in 4E while I guess you might say 3E.

Grayhawk? Dragonlance? Ravenloft? Something else/custom?

Myths of Malignost is my favorite since I wrote it. It's currently going through playtesting at the moment with plans to it put out there for sale using my own AD&D 2E clone rules. I do have a thread in The Gazebo that explains it all. The title is Damsels, Adventurers, and Dragons Myths of Malignost Long Term Campaign.

I did something unique. I didn't write up a 10,000 page history of the world. I only wrote up what happened prior to the creation of the Malignost planetary system. The children of the three greater gods were born and about 40 years later most of the gods created races. The world starts right when all the races wake up.

The player characters have to explore, build towns that will lead to an empire, research technology to go from the stone age to the age of sail, and so much more. It's focused on generational play with all the characters forming the myths of each individual table's version of Malignost.

Yeah but I was talking about The Adversary.
Whatever your opinion of The Adversary, its much better than what's actually in the game.

Major spoiler:
"The Emperor" is a mindflayer that was a male adventurer from Baldur's Gate who got turned into a mindflayer, but somehow (game doesn't say) he retained his identity and broke free of the Elder Brain. Then he led a life in Baldur's Gate feeding on criminals in the night. He amassed a fortune behind the scenes and became known as "The Emperor". He later got re-enthralled by the elder brain, but then broke free again. Somehow he has a bunch of intellect devourers that work for him, as well as access to ancient mindflayer larvae. The game doesn't say how.

IMO, he was meant to be The Adversary, but they didn't want to pay royalties to someone, or had some other copyright issue. As is, the he's a discount version of The Adversary, and makes little sense.

Anyway, the point I think the other poster was making about Alhoons was that mindflayers can and do break free of elder brains. That much is 2E lore.
Renegade mind flayers are a thing in 5E

5E isn't D&D. It's DANDINO and refer to my signature. DANDINO is fan rules written by morons.

5E is garbage, we established that.
Renegade mindflayers were a thing in 2E. Menzoberranzan, 1992.

Forgotten Degeneracy is rejected due to the fact it is degenerate. Going purely by the monster manuals for the rest of AD&D 2E there is no such thing as renegades.
You are the same type of retard that says “this canon is not fit for modern day so we are changing it” whenever they create absolute dogshit that takes a dump on existing lore.

I don't give a fuck about what you think of my opinion. I stated the fact that Wizard's of the Woke shit is DANDINO. It's a brand and shares nothing in common with what Saints Gary and Dave did. You can take an OD&D character and put it into AD&D and vice versa just fine. You can't do that with DANDINO.

Did you think of this argument all by yourself or did your single mommy help you?

Last edited:

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Ideally, every character should've been allowed to pick a deity and have some optional dialogue fluff for it. And clerics could've had some extra fluff beyond that given their particular relationship with said deities (and likewise with patrons for warlocks).
I mean, ideally you shouldn't even be able to pick up levels in Warlock to multiclass, unless you actually make a pact with a demon, as an in game quest. But we might be asking too much.
Ofc, but it is what it is. I'm content with the amount of fluff I get as a cleric tbh, expectations tempered and all that.
UTSX4lQ.jpg

SVyRQTM.jpg

Only discontent with the deity rooster that they went for.
Sorry to disappoint you, but the second screenshot happens to Shadowheart as well, so it's not unique to your particular deity choice.
Not strictly true since Ethel's response is specific to your deity. She mocks Shar for being an emo girl.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
After finishing up some companion quests in chapter 3, I have to say that playing as a custom character, you do feel more like a sidekick than anything else. There is nothing really unique about you since everyone else has to same experience, and then something unique on top of that. I'm still kinda unsure about my character's motivation, to be honest.

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron
After finishing up some companion quests in chapter 3, I have to say that playing as a custom character, you do feel more like a sidekick than anything else. There is nothing really unique about you since everyone else has to same experience, and then something unique on top of that. I'm still kinda unsure about my character's motivation, to be honest.
Yeah I stopped and restarted as Durge during Act 2 for this reason, it's still a very fun game as Tav but you really feel like a tagalong sometimes.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Wyll's quest turns from boring to absolute dogshit

There's no option to tell his dad that you agree with him that Wyll did the wrong thing, and the dad instantly goes "oh, you sold your soul to save BG? All is well then." Essentially, the game does not recognize that one can disagree with Wyll's choice at all.

To top it all off, the game bugs out if you save Ravenguard despite saying FUCK OFF to Mizora. It essentially then thinks you did actually make the deal with Mizora.

MerchantKing

Learned
I had to uninstall this. I couldn't take it anymore. What a garbage game. The Bioware cutscene dialogue, voiced narrator, everything wanting to sodomize my character, the unnecessarily slow garbage combat, the 5e ruleset, and the nostalgia bait is disgusting. 100gb of memory and it's all trash. There's a reason why I never play any bioware games after BG1+2 and it's exactly what Larian emulated when making this game.

MerchantKing

Learned

There's no option to tell his dad that you agree with him that Wyll did the wrong thing, and the dad instantly goes "oh, you sold your soul to save BG? All is well then." Essentially, the game does not recognize that one can disagree with Wyll's choice at all.

To top it all off, the game bugs out if you save Ravenguard despite saying FUCK OFF to Mizora. It essentially then thinks you did actually make the deal with Mizora.
Imagine keeping the origin characters around instead of killing them on sight.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I had to uninstall this. I couldn't take it anymore. What a garbage game. The Bioware cutscene dialogue, voiced narrator, everything wanting to sodomize my character, the unnecessarily slow garbage combat, the 5e ruleset, and the nostalgia bait is disgusting. 100gb of memory and it's all trash. There's a reason why I never play any bioware games after BG1+2 and it's exactly what Larian emulated when making this game.

For this act alone I will leave gnomes alone in DAD.

:brodex:

Sunri

Liturgist

Imagine keeping the origin characters around instead of killing them on sight.
Leazel Astarion and Shadowharto are okay characters in my opinion i have seen worse, thats for sure

razvedchiki

Erudite
can you recruit custom mercs? no dwarf fighter/cleric as a companion is sad. since they made each companion super duper special they could add a duergar escaping the underdark being chased by his clan/illithids/dark elves etc.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom