Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
The next act you are in spooky goth shadowlands. Yes the tone changes quite a bit.

Gradenmayer

Learned
Anyone else feel the game could use a little grit? Everything is just so whimsical, flowery, and casual. While talking to a druid who demands I swear to kill myself if I'm about to turn, the scene is brightly lit and colorful and the music is someone energetically plucking away at what sounds like a harp or some other stringed instrument. What I see and hear completely clash with what the story seems to want to convey. It's just another day adventuring except I've got a tadpole in my brain, no big deal.

I had the same issue with DOS2. Obviously I'm not too far in, so maybe things change?
First 10 hours are like that. Goblin camp and underdark are gloomier and act 2 gets darker.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
It's a MASSIVE commercial and critical success

Lol, so was fucking Oblivion dude.

Everybody and your mother loves Oblivion
Yeah, but Lyrix Suit only loves things that are older than the printing press. Not sure what he is doing on a gaming site though

I only like things that are gud. It's not my fault if everything today is shit.
You wouldn't know good things if they bit you in the ass

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's because normies are not self-aware and are incapable of thinking for themselves. How they feel about something is based entirely on hype and nothing else. It's the same reason Bethesda rose to the top and why Skyrim has remained a best seller on Steam for years despite being a colossal pile of shit.
Will you dwell a lot about how normies think while you still ponder about the highlights of your braided beard?

Downloading patch right now. I'll report if the highlights on the breaided beard were fixed as soon as it is done.

ColonelMace

Novice
Anyone else feel the game could use a little grit? Everything is just so whimsical, flowery, and casual. While talking to a druid who demands I swear to kill myself if I'm about to turn, the scene is brightly lit and colorful and the music is someone energetically plucking away at what sounds like a harp or some other stringed instrument. What I see and hear completely clash with what the story seems to want to convey. It's just another day adventuring except I've got a tadpole in my brain, no big deal.

I had the same issue with DOS2. Obviously I'm not too far in, so maybe things change?
It's much much less of an issue than in DOS2.
Both the visual aspect of characters/locations and the overall tone of the writing makes it infinitely more bearable.

Just start a game of DOS2 and take a single look at the first npc's outfit. You'll see a spark difference in a matter of minutes.

It's not my fault if everything today is shit.
It very much is.

OttoQuitmarck

Educated
It's because normies are not self-aware and are incapable of thinking for themselves. How they feel about something is based entirely on hype and nothing else. It's the same reason Bethesda rose to the top and why Skyrim has remained a best seller on Steam for years despite being a colossal pile of shit.
Will you dwell a lot about how normies think while you still ponder about the highlights of your braided beard?

Downloading patch right now. I'll report if the highlights on the breaided beard were fixed as soon as it is done.
What RPGs DO you like, just curious.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

You're gonna just love the Underdark. :troll:

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Sorting out inventory and gearing everyone up is starting to become a real pain in the arse, especially when dismissing and rerecruiting companions at camp is a lengthy process for what should be a simple action.

But otherwise i'm in agreement with Lemming42 on his musings about playing a fixed character with little room to actually roleplay. Hell i'll go a step further and assert this isn't a step above dragon age, it IS dragon age in terms of the range of your responses and roleplay potential.
I wouldn't have minded this so much if there hadn't been such a fuss made about this game's extensive dialogue options, so i came in expecting to have my mind blown and have been consistently let down. Had people and the media not hyped this up so much i wouldn't have been disappointed, as it stands i feel lied to and it technically isn't really the game's fault that i came in with lofty expectations.

Anyways entering Baldur's Gate itself, dunno how far i am into the game but feels like the final 1/3rd.

I'm also getting real tired of my male companions going all "i consider you a friend...and something more *wink*" on me. JFC, i dunno what those resetera people were complaining about when it comes to lack of lgbqtia representation, feels like everyone in the party swings both ways, my camp is a roaming pride carnival and they ain't subtle about it.

Worst part is the motion capture actually makes me feel guilty for turning some of them down, example:
One time wyll was prancing around and having no option to leave him dance in peace so my pc stood there looking all mesmerized and i had to react and i didn't wanna be a dousche so went with the polite option "You dance well.", my character then adding in "Your dance partner must be very lucky!" Me: oh no oh no oh no please no i just wanted to be nice no please no.
Wyll: Well as a matter of fact, HE has arrived ;) Care to dance with me?
Me: Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.
The only way you can turn him down came off as 100% harsh, not even an option to point out i was hooked with someone and didn't feel this was appropriate. Or hell, lie and say i'm a terrible dancer. No had to be rather blunt: NO!!!!! :mad:

So went with it, and i swear the face he made was pure anguish and regret, really felt like this:

Felt terrible, goddamned stupidly realistic facial animations that lets you truly see the depths of despair of a young gay man getting his heart destroyed by his crush he was sure felt the same way but turns out had been misreading the signals all long. Blah...Maybe i can make an effort?
Like i dunno, it's not gay to ballroom dance with your bro and then cuddle afterwards if it's to help a bro right? Especially if i repeat no homo constantly throughout?

Last edited:

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Damn it! Six years production cycle, two Hotfixes and long hair is still clipping with armour! This is worse than even Baldurs Gate 2.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Reminds me of the gay retarded EE henchmen for BG2 just have a sparring match with the Orc and then he propositions you directly after. At least you have the option of saying "But I'm a man!" on BG3 they just ignore all the gender for anything and treat it as normal.

Imagine being gayer than Beamdog..

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Sorting out inventory and gearing everyone up is starting to become a real pain in the arse, especially when dismissing and rerecruiting companions at camp is a lengthy process for what should be a simple action.

You can grab backpacks, chests etc. and use those to sort your shit into separate containers but the whole inventory system is still hot garbage - guess at Larian they just spawned everything on the characters as needed when playtesting.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron

You can grab backpacks, chests etc. and use those to sort your shit into separate containers but the whole inventory system is still hot garbage - guess at Larian they just spawned everything on the characters as needed when playtesting.
I find that even more of a hassle though, the process of switching items from 1 container to the next is still painful af: drag and dropping every individual item with windows that ain't aligned OR right clicking on every item and choosing where to/whom to send it to.
At first did consider having separate containers for every type of loot i had but it quickly became hell and added to the tedium rather then reducing.

Makes me real grateful that i'm playing a strong human warrior, getting a lot of mileage from that +25% carry bonus.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Yeah it's far from ideal, I'm almost tempted to grab one of those increased carry weight mods but so far I've managed. The containers opening UNDER your main inventory window is a prime example of where some QoL is really needed - plus their default size is pitiful and the UI only lets you extend them vertically.

Zayne

Scholar
So, finished act 1.

In the Underdark
Nere quest is time-sensitive, which came as a surprise to me, because I've decided to visit Adamantine Forge first. And then he asks for help via parasite. And then dies. And I'm like "I was going to kill him anyway, so good riddance", but then everyone else also disappears, so I've decided to load earlier save and go through Nere combat with all spells depleted to save the gnomes :/

Still, nice to know you have atleast some urgency.

After clearing all act 1 areas I went to Moonrise towers area through Underdark passage, but without working lantern I didn't dare to go further. The gnome promised unspeakable horrors to anyone without working lantern. Hopefully Jaheira, Harpers and Co won't bail on me because I went to Underdark first.

Also, met Elminster. I love how Gale suddenly became Main Hero of this story and I'm sworn to serve as his loyal Sam, while he carries the One Ring to Mount Doom.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The next act you are in spooky goth shadowlands. Yes the tone changes quite a bit.
However, it's the WoW style of a "shadowlands". Everything is brightly lit and undead stuff glow green. Wish stuff actually felt a bit unsettling and creepy, but the design is so god damn MMO tier (and whimsical as someone mentioned, but less so than DOS).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom