Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 RELEASE THREAD

Lemming42

Arcane
Here is an example where you could have a more nuanced understanding of your character. Maybe he said that emotionally? Maybe he is fascinated by mind flayers, but still doesn't want to be their test subject?
But then that's me actively trying to work around what the devs are giving me - doubly annoying because it's such an unnecessary thing (does anyone actually want the voiceover lines for their character?).

To play as someone interesting and with a strong personality and worldview, you'd basically have to ignore or recontextualise all the voiced lines and then mentally rewrite every dialogue scene, both your choice and the NPC's response, in your head in real-time, and also disregard every time a cutscene makes your character do something they'd never do or react in a way they'd never react.

Obviously this kind of imagination is a huge part of many RPGs and is core to what makes roleplaying fun, but BG3 doesn't present dialogue/cutscenes as an abstraction intended to act as a springboard for you to project your own character onto, but rather as a literal representation of exactly what your character is doing and saying, exacerbated greatly by the movie-like style that makes such a big focus of it all and often assigns vivid nonverbal reactions to your character.

It's like saying you can roleplay Commander Shepard as an interesting character - you technically can, but you'll be engaged in an active uphill battle against the developers, having to disregard, overlook, or reimagine a lot of what's happening on screen and rewrite the dialogue as you go, all of which the devs clearly intended you to take literally.

Last edited:

Barbarian

Arcane
Also, from what some people commented on this thread I imagined every companion would be trying to rub their dick/vagene on me every conversation or something(either that or trying to infect me with the gae) but it really isn't so.

Maybe I suck at perception but I also haven't noticed any homo couple, troon or sjw yet(chapter 1). Though I fear that will change once I reach Baldur's Gate.

Ocassionaly a horny dialogue option shows up at camp but I just don't click it.

It's not so much what comes from the companions, it's the options you're given to respond - like for about half of the companions, 4 out of every 5 responses you're offered to give to them will be some variation of innuendo ranging from subtle to blatant. That, instead of the sorts of things that adventurers thrust together by circumstances and gradually getting to know each other might say. It's really tiresome and immershun-breaking.

The best thing about the companion dialogues is their first responses after notable events - those are usually ok, flow with the plot and represent their characters, but invariably your responses will include a few retarded lead ins to an "adult relationship."

That is what happens when you make every companion "romanceable". Having Aerie, Viconia and Jaheira in your party in the original games would be just like that. charname the gigachad and chick magnet.

But really, nothing remotely as suggested where they will be asking to buttfuck you every camp scene.

No, as I remember it, the BG interactions were comparatively subtle and normal conversational types of responses, the weighting was the other way round - like 3 normal conversational responses and maybe one or two that might lead to a deeper relationship (and they felt more like relationship building than slutty flirting).
No dude. If you were male Viconia would be complimenting your impressive muscles and asking if she made you horny second dialogue interaction or something. It was like that.

You have a case of selective memory due to nostalgia or something.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But then that's me actively trying to work around what the devs are giving me - doubly annoying because it's such an unnecessary thing (does anyone actually want the voiceover lines for their character?).
You always work around what you are given more or less. But those things you describe shouldn't be the cause to fall into blockage regarding your character concept.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
No dude. If you were male Viconia would be complimenting your impressive muscles and asking if she made you horny second dialogue interaction or something. It was like that.

You have a case of selective memory due to nostalgia or something.
Yeah but the whole tone of BG2 was different, and the fact you weren't actually looking at their faces and gestures made the corny dialogue easier to internalize.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
Also, from what some people commented on this thread I imagined every companion would be trying to rub their dick/vagene on me every conversation or something(either that or trying to infect me with the gae) but it really isn't so.

Maybe I suck at perception but I also haven't noticed any homo couple, troon or sjw yet(chapter 1). Though I fear that will change once I reach Baldur's Gate.

It's not so much what comes from the companions, it's the options you're given to respond - like for about half of the companions, 4 out of every 5 responses you're offered to give to them will be some variation of innuendo ranging from subtle to blatant. That, instead of the sorts of things that adventurers thrust together by circumstances and gradually getting to know each other might say. It's really tiresome and immershun-breaking.

The best thing about the companion dialogues is their first responses after notable events - those are usually ok, flow with the plot and represent their characters, but invariably your responses will include a few retarded lead ins to an "adult relationship."

That is what happens when you make every companion "romanceable". Having Aerie, Viconia and Jaheira in your party in the original games would be just like that. charname the gigachad and chick magnet.

But really, nothing remotely as suggested where they will be asking to buttfuck you every camp scene.

Hyperbole is a core feature of the Codex. Same people will still talk about penis slider and camp ass fuckery on page 3000 when this game is universally acknowledged to be a classic.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Hyperbole is a core feature of the Codex. Same people will still talk about penis slider and camp ass fuckery on page 3000 when this game is universally acknowledged to be a classic.
In about 5 years the usual revisionism will kick in and the game will be considered shit.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar

In about 5 years the usual revisionism will kick in and the game will be considered shit.
Probably but only here and the codex is a niche in a niche in a niche.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Wow looking at the cleric domains light seems to be the best the other ones don't really do anything. Healing is good too but do you really need healing?

I think every playthrough I'll respec shart as light domain no reason not to.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Or maybe they'll say it because it is actually true.

"But, but, Codexers even say the BG games were shit".

That's because they were. Writing was mid, dumbfuck pop culture references, romances, real time with pause, dual wielding Kensai/mage retardation, munchkinism, even some poz though the standards in the 90s was very low for that compared to today.

Sure, there were some high points as well (some fairly high actually, Durlag's Tower for instance). Those were slowly removed with each subsequent Bioware game while the poz was bumped to 11, which is why i never touched Dragon Age or Mass Effect, not even out of curiosity.

The only reason the BG games come off as masterpieces now is because the standards have sunk far below what we expected back then.

Bioware were basically the Bethsedsa of their day. Ok maybe not as bad as unlike Bethesda they did do quite a bit that was right but pretty close in the main.

Last edited:

processdaemon

Scholar
Patron

I think the companion romances are buggy so some people are being hit by more 'intimate' requests than others. I broke it off with Lae'zel after the tiefling party and that seems to have triggered another companion into acting like my PC and him are rather closer than they are without the option to break it off in his dialogue menu, so I'm guessing some flags aren't being ticked/unticked properly at the moment which is making some of the companions seem relentless. It'll probably be fine in a bug fix or two.

Incognito/STK

Backlog incliner
Patron
These Belgian motherfuckers just made me watch
a bugbear fuck an ogre!
Never in my lifetime did I think such a scenario would present itself in vydia. And now I'm torn between rejecting their degeneracy or considering it an hilarious scene that will be remembered as a classic in twenty years time.

Fuck you, Swen.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
It's because normies are not self-aware and are incapable of thinking for themselves. How they feel about something is based entirely on hype and nothing else. It's the same reason Bethesda rose to the top and why Skyrim has remained a best seller on Steam for years despite being a colossal pile of shit.

Eisenheinrich

Scholar
It's because normies are not self-aware and are incapable of thinking for themselves. How they feel about something is based entirely on hype and nothing else. It's the same reason Bethesda rose to the top and why Skyrim has remained a best seller on Steam for years despite being a colossal pile of shit.
Will you dwell a lot about how normies think while you still ponder about the highlights of your braided beard?

Lagole Gon

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Pathfinder: Wrath
>Invisible enemy.
>No anti-invisibility spells.
>Just cover the estimated enemy area in water and electrify it.

I'm awaiting a letter from MENSA.

8f8bef0a448edf5070c99675a02605f0.png

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I got a couple of cool items. Heal 15hp when exiting rage.

Heal 1-6hp if a hit connects, but this one seems a bit risk, as you go mad if you miss too much.

None

Scholar
Anyone else feel the game could use a little grit? Everything is just so whimsical, flowery, and casual. While talking to a druid who demands I swear to kill myself if I'm about to turn, the scene is brightly lit and colorful and the music is someone energetically plucking away at what sounds like a harp or some other stringed instrument. What I see and hear completely clash with what the story seems to want to convey. It's just another day adventuring except I've got a tadpole in my brain, no big deal.

I had the same issue with DOS2. Obviously I'm not too far in, so maybe things change?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom