Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Shem-Rizhu

Literate
Have you guys already made up your mind about your starting character?

John Keel

Savant
What's the expected download size of the EA and how fast do you think it will be available at The Inventory that shan't deplete

Lilliput McHammersmith

What's the expected download size of the EA and how fast do you think it will be available at The Inventory that shan't deplete
I'm certain the GOG version will be at Gratis Sitename PersonalComputer Games soon after the release.

Generic-Giant-Spider

Nigger, I've been consistently talking up 5E for the better part of half a decade.

Then you need to trot your little Critical Role ass to Barnes & Noble and pick up some 2nd Edition and 3.5 or I'll smack the shill out of your mouth next time you say that dumb shit.

Y'HEAR? GO ON NOW, GIT, GIT.

Codex Year of the Donut
It's 5E D&D, that's a very distinctive precision that kills any hype I have.
5E is the best edition since AD&D you weirdo.
3rd edition happened, eh.
I never understood why 3e/3.5e is so popular. Heavily dumbed down and streamlined compared to AD&D.
Homogenized XP tables(it totally makes sense that a fighter and wizard advance at the same rate!), multiclassing became retarded with many higher levels being 'dead' levels and most classes having important things frontloaded(PF fixed this to a certain degree,) we can blame the favoring/standardization of multiclassing for getting rid of kits in favor of more multiclassing(Again, pathfinder fixed this with archetypes,) beginning of the homogenization of races in many ways(which is almost at the point where they have no real reason to exist now), did away with the tables in favor of standardized everything, I could continue...
3e was just a bunch of standardization, streamlining, and dumbing down.

Basically the only good things it did right was ascending AC and feats.
3.5e lacks the soul of AD&D, something that A&D 2E managed to retain and improve upon because they never set out to make an entirely new D&D game.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
It's 5E D&D, that's a very distinctive precision that kills any hype I have.
5E is the best edition since AD&D you weirdo.
3rd edition happened, eh.
I never understood why 3e/3.5e is so popular. Heavily dumbed down and streamlined compared to AD&D.
Homogenized XP tables(it totally makes sense that a fighter and wizard advance at the same rate!), multiclassing became retarded with many higher levels being 'dead' levels and most classes having important things frontloaded(PF fixed this to a certain degree,) we can blame the favoring/standardization of multiclassing for getting rid of kits in favor of more multiclassing(Again, pathfinder fixed this with archetypes,) beginning of the homogenization of races in many ways(which is almost at the point where they have no real reason to exist now), did away with the tables in favor of standardized everything, I could continue...
3e was just a bunch of standardization, streamlining, and dumbing down.

Basically the only good things it did right was ascending AC and feats.
3.5e lacks the soul of AD&D, something that A&D 2E managed to retain and improve upon because they never set out to make an entirely new D&D game.
Yeah but it's still better than 5E.

Codex Year of the Donut

I mean, you just explained why it was so successful/popular. What makes fans dislike the 3rd edition is exactly what several new people like it.
But it was eclipsed by Pathfinder which moved in the opposite direction. Then they drove Pathfinder into a brick wall with 2E doing the same exact thing.

Takamori

Learned
3.5 is an ok system, the crux is the many loops and massive useless content that got shit over all over the years during production cycle in WOTC.
As for 5E its a pretty controlled rpg system, but this amount of control reflect on character customization. You will have classes looking almost the same no matter the person is playing with, so I'd say 5E is an excellent entry level system for new people, but if you are a person that love all aspects of RPGs that is roleplaying summed with making a build that reflects your character personality that works in system then 5E falls apart.

Takamori

Learned

I mean, you just explained why it was so successful/popular. What makes fans dislike the 3rd edition is exactly what several new people like it.
But it was eclipsed by Pathfinder which moved in the opposite direction. Then they drove Pathfinder into a brick wall with 2E doing the same exact thing.
Got have that wider public money son. :keepmyjewgold:

BarbequeMasta

Learned

That's fine and all and I can kinda agree with you but NOT when this is said to defend the hot garbage that is 5E.

BarbequeMasta

Learned
Is anyone else giddy with excitement for this to fail hard like all the other nostalgia driven cash grabs before?
It has COOP and 5E, normies and scrublors will likely love it, we already have some fags like that in this very thread. I loath the game but it'll likely do super well, that's the point of the trashy dev choice and the sellout use of the good BG name.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom