Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Pre-Release Thread [EARLY ACCESS RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Vatnik Wumao
How urgent is that Illithid infection? Do you need to remove that tadpole in 100 days or something?
From the preview, you only learn that the PC will be searching for a healer in the beginning.

Bara

Arcane
How urgent is that Illithid infection? Do you need to remove that tadpole in 100 days or something?

Takes weeks or so normally I think. But the first teaser trailer showed a guy changing in a matter of minutes

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
The tadpole eats your brain in a few hours, you don't have time to go "look for a healer". Can a healer even reverse it? That's also suspect and took me right out of the moment.

Probably all pre made characters are child of Bhaal.
All of the companions as well? Kinda weird.

Xunwael

Educated
You people are self-sabotaging, joyless catastrophizers. This is the first AAA turn-based D&D RPG ever, and taking into consideration the AAA part this is absolutely surreal and almost tailor-made for Codex tastes. Yes, the visuals can be a bit ...too much, but the combat and verticality, the sozzy-ness of being able to talk to people with all of your companions while your main is skulking around, the faithful adaptation of D&D 5E, the amount of physical feats you can do in combat (jump, dash, push, pull, shove, I think I saw grapple there as well), the itemisation not being random, etc. etc. are all pure incline and almost hard to believe is actually happening. Not to mention we are also getting a bunch of other RPGs, like the new Pathfinder, Realms Beyond, Solasta, Colony Ship, and so on. This is fantastic, we should be overjoyed.
Can we please delete the entire thread and just leave this post? This is honestly the only thing that there is to say on this topic.
You're going to play through BG3 once and then forget about it, just like you did DOS1&2, and you'll encounter all the content the game has to offer in that one playthrough, just like with DOS1&2. You won't even want to replay it for the novelty of another class/race/whatever, they'll all completely (and *trivially*) break the game to the point where you could solo all of it on the hardest difficulty with one character anyway so there's no difference between playing any classes because they'll all be functionally identical, just like in DOS1&2. You won't even do it to experience other characters, because every single character will be written exactly the same and feel like they're different personas of the same person, all articulating themselves in the shiteating contemporary prose style that every video game is infested with now, just like in DOS1&2. That's incidentally also where this le quirky jokes crap comes from. All these socially retarded, terrified, cowardly millennials regurgitating the same blandly inoffensive speech to each other on the internet and in their garbage writing classes. BG1&2's writing may -- as people keep insisting -- have been crap, but at least it wasn't whatever this crime against humanity is. At least Disco Elysium did something different, and the same with those slav games like the witcher ones. It may not necessarily be great, but at least it's at worst a different flavour of crap. Even that witcher single-player card game felt like a breath of fresh air in the writing department compared to all this other grabage. I booted up PoE2 recently to check out that turn-based mode they added and almost wanted to kill myself just playing through the introduction. Contemporary western video games writers should be put in front of the Hague.

Anyway. It'll be commercially successful, and then completely forgotten. Nobody will be talking about BG3 ten years from now, never mind 20. But they will keep talking about BG1&2 until the day that they die. Put a fucking remindme on wherever you do that shit and get back to me in a decade or two, I'll be proven right.

Vatnik Wumao
The tadpole eats your brain in a few hours, you don't have time to go "look for a healer". Can a healer even reverse it? That's also suspect and took me right out of the moment.
Given that the companion that mentioned the healer is both optional and killable, I'd wager that it's not 'suspect', but simply shit writing on the part of Larian (or the stupidity of the NPC, if we are to give Larian the benefit of the doubt).

Shadenuat

Arcane
they'll all completely break the game to the point where you could solo all of it on the hardest difficulty with one character
you'd probably want to wait for an equivalent of "tactician mode"

Lacrymas

Arcane
Xunwael Mmm, you are confused there, in all the IE games (except Torment) all the characters you can play are written the same way. At least the origin stories here have the potential to be different characters. I'm not defending origin stories, I'm warding against hypocritical statements.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Writing shifted from second person to... past tense? :?

That aside, game looks good. It's alpha. I wouldn't put too much into any videos or screenshots. The game is turn-based, so the foundation is there.

There are 5 groups of retards on Codex:
1. Gameplaytards
2. Graphotards
3. Storytards
4. Nostalgiatards (the worst one- degenerates stuck in past, incapable of liking new things)
5. Differetards (they hate popular things)
They are in constant opposition with each other- between and within the groups. There is not a single game that can be liked by all Codextards simultaneously.

Make best story-driven RPG ever- get shit on by group 1,4,5,2 (Disco, Planescape).
Make best gameplay-driven RPG- get shit on by 3,4,5,2 (TOEE).
Make best looking RPG (Witcher 3)- get shit on by 1,4,5.
Make best game all-around- get shit on by 4,5​

This one will be loved by 3/5 of the population of groups #1,2,(3) and hated completely by groups #4,5,(3).

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Probably all pre made characters are child of Bhaal.

I think all the people appearing in the ship, during the intro. The gay vampire, the shadowheart, the wizard and maybe the gyth?

This is a way to tie them all togheter, so if you choose any of them, the story is the same.

I just dont know why they go to hell, at some point. Maybe to confront bhaal? I dont know what happened to him after "descent into avernus" campaign.

Lacrymas

Arcane

I think all the people appearing in the ship, during the intro. The gay vampire, the shadowheart, the wizard and maybe the gyth?

This is a way to tie them all togheter, so if you choose any of them, the story is the same.

I just dont know why they go to hell, at some point. Maybe to confront bhaal? I dont know what happened to him after "descent into avernus" campaign.
That overview that was posted a few pages back said the mindflayer invasion is tied to a conspiracy between the Dead Three, soooo, yeah. As for ALL of them being Bhaalspawn, didn't we kill them in BG2? It seems like lazy writing, being tadpole infested is enough to tie them together. But like I said, a tadpole eats your brain in a few hours, they don't have time to rummage in old crypts, I'm not sure you can even move all that much because the tadpole is physically eating your brain. There is also the fact dwarves, gnomes (except deep gnomes) and halfings are not suitable hosts for ceremorphosis.

Yosharian

Arcane
Xunwael said:
You're going to play through BG3 once and then forget about it, just like you did DOS1&2, and you'll encounter all the content the game has to offer in that one playthrough, just like with DOS1&2. You won't even want to replay it for the novelty of another class/race/whatever, they'll all completely (and *trivially*) break the game to the point where you could solo all of it on the hardest difficulty with one character anyway so there's no difference between playing any classes because they'll all be functionally identical, just like in DOS1&2. You won't even do it to experience other characters, because every single character will be written exactly the same and feel like they're different personas of the same person, all articulating themselves in the shiteating contemporary prose style that every video game is infested with now, just like in DOS1&2. That's incidentally also where this le quirky jokes crap comes from. All these socially retarded, terrified, cowardly millennials regurgitating the same blandly inoffensive speech to each other on the internet and in their garbage writing classes. BG1&2's writing may -- as people keep insisting -- have been crap, but at least it wasn't whatever this crime against humanity is. At least Disco Elysium did something different, and the same with those slav games like the witcher ones. It may not necessarily be great, but at least it's at worst a different flavour of crap. Even that witcher single-player card game felt like a breath of fresh air in the writing department compared to all this other grabage. I booted up PoE2 recently to check out that turn-based mode they added and almost wanted to kill myself just playing through the introduction. Contemporary western video games writers should be put in front of the Hague.

Anyway. It'll be commercially successful, and then completely forgotten. Nobody will be talking about BG3 ten years from now, never mind 20. But they will keep talking about BG1&2 until the day that they die. Put a fucking remindme on wherever you do that shit and get back to me in a decade or two, I'll be proven right.
:negative:

frajaq

Erudite
also in this incredible Video Game: getting a boot thrown at you = 4 damage

getting shoved off a ledge and falling face first to the ground several feet below you = 6 damage

makes fucking sense to me!

jackofshadows

Magister
Will I be able to make my own chars?
Yes but in that case you'll probably miss a lot of stuff just as it was in DivOS2, which is why origin characters feature sucks.

I'm still confused about why they made silent but not so silent protagonist and whether it will be any different when choosing regular char or not.

Shadenuat

Arcane
deuxhero so how many spells can you have on you due to concentration mechanic? 1? 2? can enemy mage potentialy have mirror image + globe of invul + shield?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom