Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate 3 Early Access Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I want to be able to have as realistic graphics as possible, contained within some coherent art style. That means keeping the illusion good even when you're close up to objects. Games have looked pretty good in the distances for a while now, it's the near end that has improved, and things look better and better close up. Which is as it should be.

I mean, it's just a default stance and I don't see why one should lower that standard for any reason. I want games to have great gameplay, great graphics and audio, to transport me to another world and engage me with problems that are just on the edge of my capacity to solve, so that I can get a nice, steady stream of adrenaline and dopamine hits; or (sometimes) to get me into a nice trance state (when, e.g. farming). The weightings are adjustable (you can forgive a flaw in one area if the other areas are good), but an ideal is an ideal and people should aim for it.

The art/assets department is a different department from the people who design gameplay, they don't necessarily step on each others' toes time-wise, and any good game should budget for both, at the very least.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
UHD textures for 4k gaming and such I assume.
What a waste. Can anyone really tell the difference between 4096 and 2048?

Yeah, close up you can.
How close up though? For something like the close up in a cutscene, unless you zoom right into a person's face, I don't really think there would be a noticeable difference.

I mean it depends obviously. But the illusion can be broken by even just fleeting glimpses of pixellation - they don't necessarily disturb in and of themselves, but add up to a general feeling of, "This is but a computer game. I am not, as I thought adventuring on the planet Mars, wooing a beautiful princess; I am, alas, but a fat lardass sitting in my Herman Miller Aeron."

I dunno, it just seems like a default stance, as I said above. Why wouldn't you want the illusion of a virtual world to be as good as possible within the limits of the technology available?

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Wait, BG3 is 100GB? Wtf?
Is there all chapters released or what? I remember at start of early access game took much less space.
If there only 1 chapter and it's size close to 100GB, I wonder if Larian decided to set a record for biggest game in "size on drive" on the market.
Yes, I know, it's mostly cutscenes, but every dialogue is a cutscene and I assume there will be plenty of dialogue in every chapter.

Wait, BG3 is 100GB? Wtf?
Is there all chapters released or what? I remember at start of early access game took much less space.
If there only 1 chapter and it's size close to 100GB, I wonder if Larian decided to set a record for biggest game in "size on drive" on the market.
Yes, I know, it's mostly cutscenes, but every dialogue is a cutscene and I assume there will be plenty of dialogue in every chapter.
Every single "cutscene" in the game is in-engine and using in-game assets. So, no, it's not " mostly cutscenes".
It's a shitload of textures, audio and more in general content of all sort.

And yes, it will be a big-ass game when everything will be said and done... Not sure what there is to bitch about it.

FriendlyMerchant

Wait, BG3 is 100GB? Wtf?
Every single "cutscene" in the game is in-engine and using in-game assets. So, no, it's not " mostly cutscenes".
It's a shitload of textures, audio and more in general content of all sort.

And yes, it will be a big-ass game when everything will be said and done... Not sure what there is to bitch about it.
The longer a game is and the more filespace that's wasted on storyfagging and unnecessary texture sizes, the worse the game.

Cael

Arcane
Ogre: RARRRGGHHHH!!!!! *thumps chest*
Dwarf: RARRRGGGH!! *runs between ogre's legs with axe raised*
Ogre: *falls over with a stupified look on its face*
The game doesn't state this in class description, but yes, the berserker gets special intimidation dialogue (instead of the standard barbarian which the other class gets). And it is all CAPSLOCK RAGE. And he gets advantage on these checks in dialogue. :D
The ogre didn't fall over because of an intimidation check...

hell bovine

Arcane
The ogre didn't fall over because of an intimidation check...
I'm not referring to the actual combat (though the berserker with the bonus action attack gets the cake, now that the frightened effect got nerfed), but to how their intimidation dialogues ARE WRITTEN LIKE THAT.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Wait, BG3 is 100GB? Wtf?
The full game will be 150GB according to the system requirements found on Steam, so you can expect it to be even larger by the time it comes out.

Brickfrog

Learned
This isn't really an argument, but an actual "barbarian" in a medieval fantasy subsistence environment would be more likely to look like a wiry lunatic (think Sting in Dune 1984) than a protein shake-chugging gym bro. It's kind of interesting that they went in this pseudo-realistic direction.
Does this game have good facial sliders?

my first playthrough is gonna be a Sting from Lynch's Dune run now that infinitron has given me the idea.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This isn't really an argument, but an actual "barbarian" in a medieval fantasy subsistence environment would be more likely to look like a wiry lunatic (think Sting in Dune 1984) than a protein shake-chugging gym bro. It's kind of interesting that they went in this pseudo-realistic direction.
Does this game have good facial sliders?

my first playthrough is gonna be a Sting from Lynch's Dune run now that infinitron has given me the idea.

It doesn't have face generation, just a selection of presets.

Novice
BTW, why is this game 100GB? All that file space wasted on cinematics I skip because if I wanted to watch a movie, I'd be doing so. Video games are for gameplay. Those cutscenes and such are just a waste of space.
Oy vey! Does it increase ((((your)))) monthly internet bill because there is so much stuff to download? Or are ((((you)))) still sitting on a 500 GB WD HDD from ten years ago because a new one for 1+ TB would cost 80€ and this one still works fine?

FriendlyMerchant

BTW, why is this game 100GB? All that file space wasted on cinematics I skip because if I wanted to watch a movie, I'd be doing so. Video games are for gameplay. Those cutscenes and such are just a waste of space.
Oy vey! Does it increase ((((your)))) monthly internet bill because there is so much stuff to download? Or are ((((you)))) still sitting on a 500 GB WD HDD from ten years ago because a new one would cost 80€ and this one still works fine?

No. I'm sitting on a 100 GB harddrive from 15 years ago because it still works fine.

FriendlyMerchant

Also, why is Larian retarded? "Fake Fullscreen?" It's called borderless windowed mode you retarded goyim.
wmCAMHk.jpg

Where's my custom party menu?

AGYA3yf.jpg

What a low quality game.

EDIT: Five minutes into each save game after spending an hour to decide what I wanted to play I remembered why I didn't like this game. Terrible trash controls. Nonsensical default keybindings. UI is still shit. 5e. Too much story shit wasting my time.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom