Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate 1/2 gameplay is total shit.

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
oldrpgmaster said:
BG2 have great graphics and interesting story line.

But...

Shit core rules.

Old AD&D rules pure shit:

Jahera - Attack Roll 2 + 0 : miss
Imoen - Attack Roll 12 + 0 : miss
Minsc - Attack Roll 8 + 0 : miss
Yoshimo - Attack Roll 15 + 0 : miss

I had more fun playing Final Fantasy 5, 6, 7 and 8. It was really difficult miss the attacks.

In the appropriate context, the best made RPG game for PC is Ultima 7.

Why?

Because after Ultima 7, no RPG game of dark age fantasy had:

- To collect the ingredients to cast spells, which made complete sense.

- Feed your character to keep then health. No food, no good in battle.

- Use of different items outside the traditional "only to comabt" items. A good example was make bread with the appropriate tools, either to feed the group or to sell for few coins.

- You just sleep in the wild if you have the bedroll and the weather is good.

- No light, no sight. Have a some source of light or you cannot see very well in dungeons.

- The NPC goes to sleep during the night and move to different locations during the day.

Still waiting a RPG game be like that. BG2 is far away to be a good game as was Ultima 7.

It sounds like exactly like the complexities i want in an RPG, i just installed and setup exult, i just have to wait until i get the time to play it through.

Also love the fact that there is a rich manual for monsters, spellcomponents and such.
Hell, that you have to loop up a runic table is awsome.

However the control interface could be a WEEEE bit like baldurs gate, but i'll probably get used to it.

Also, are you complaining that Hit rolls is as important as Damage rolls or just specifically BG's Thaco implementation?

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Speaking of Exult... I'd love to play it but I can't get music to work.

oldrpgmaster said:
BG2 have great graphics and interesting story line.

But...

Shit core rules.

Old AD&D rules pure shit:

Jahera - Attack Roll 2 + 0 : miss
Imoen - Attack Roll 12 + 0 : miss
Minsc - Attack Roll 8 + 0 : miss
Yoshimo - Attack Roll 15 + 0 : miss

I had more fun playing Final Fantasy 5, 6, 7 and 8. It was really difficult miss the attacks.

In the appropriate context, the best made RPG game for PC is Ultima 7.

Why?

Because after Ultima 7, no RPG game of dark age fantasy had:

- To collect the ingredients to cast spells, which made complete sense.

- Feed your character to keep then health. No food, no good in battle.

- Use of different items outside the traditional "only to comabt" items. A good example was make bread with the appropriate tools, either to feed the group or to sell for few coins.

- You just sleep in the wild if you have the bedroll and the weather is good.

- No light, no sight. Have a some source of light or you cannot see very well in dungeons.

- The NPC goes to sleep during the night and move to different locations during the day.

Still waiting a RPG game be like that. BG2 is far away to be a good game as was Ultima 7.
Yeah, Ultima 7 was another reason why I was massively disappointed with BG series. While Fallout and Wasteland crushed it from the dialogue/skills/stat use angle, Ultima 7 owned it on the living world stuff.

As for AD&D rules - let's remember that big part of misses are hits stopped by armour.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Blackadder said:
Do you have any other examples of good and bad? You tended to pick two very shabby settings as your examples. Wizardry setting is merely a slight motivator, and not meant to give a giant tour de force backstory.

Wizardry (so long as you like the gameplay type) = all about the game.

Torment (so long as you actually like the story) = all about the story.

If you go into either of these games without enjoying the element, or catch, of each game, you might as well not bother. ie: Don't play Wizardry for the story/setting. Don't play Torment for the gameplay.

Hang on, FR has Kobolds, Gnolls, Werewolves, etc. Were you having a go at Dog People a moment ago?....why yes, you were! Care to elaborate?

Nnnnnnnnecro Reply!

Blandness can be an asset in an RPG setting, because by and large video game designers are quite bad at designing RPG settings, which is understandable as it is hard.

If you take your medieval fantasy RPG and set it in a bland part of the Forgotten Realms, the setting won't hold many surprises, sure.

But it's also not going to be offensively bad, and since we're so familiar with the generic fantasy elements and races, these bland concepts are unlikely to come off as wrong, out of place, or overly cheesy, and "take us out of the game". The setting won't be a strength of the game, but it won't be a weakness either, the game will have to stand or fall on it's other merits.

Orcs and elves are certainly bland, but they still come out far ahead of Cat People (Avernum), Dog People and Wookies (Wizardry 8) in terms of avoiding avoiding a cheesy or silly feel.

Avoiding silly PC races is much more important than avoiding silly monsters as with hundreds of monsters some level of silliness is inevitable, but there are only a few PC races and you see them a lot more, and may have to bring one along.

Avoiding the cheesy/silly feel is essential to help the player to "buy into" the fantasy world.

The worst settings tend to be the ones invented by video game developers trying to be original.

Let's take a little retrospective through non action, Sword and Sorcery CRPGs, set outside of the FR, but still having non human playable races (so Darklands gets left out):

Arguably better than FR

Planescape: Torment - This setting is noteworthy because they managed to design some interesting new player races (tiefling, aasimar, giths, bariur ) that don't come off as silly. The standard fantasy races are also heavily present. Of course, this is a licensed setting from Pen and Paper and one of the top settings they produced in terms of originality

Dark Sun 1,2 - Still has elves, dwarves, (cannibal) halfings, etc but introduces some decent new races (muls, half giants, thri-kreen), as well as psionics, and overall puts a very nice spin on things to keep it from being your standard fantasy world. Of course, licensed from a pen and paper setting

Betrayal at Krondor - Elves, Dwarves, Humans. Probably slightly less cheesy than FR, but that is primarily due to cutting out races and showing the non human ones they have less. Anything is going to come off as less cheesy when you are fighting mostly humans. Most importantly though, licensed from a novel, not homebrewed by a video game developer

Arcanum - personally, I am so over the whole steampunk thing, but I'll grant you this was a quite high quality setting, considering it was made up by videogame developers. But of course, it keeps the orcs, elves, hobbits, ogres etc.

Ultima - The lack of cheese is based on addition by subtraction, almost everyone is a human, when they do encounter another race it's a big deal etc. If the game was trying to make for diverse character builds it wouldn't work, but since combat is a joke after the early series, races aren't so necessary. Might actually be able to be excluded, I forget if you ever get a non human in your party.

About the same as FR:

Realms of Arkania 1, 2, 3 : Solid but generic fantasy world with orcs, elves, etc. Possibly a slight bonus for extra emphasis on human cultures. Essentially the same as FR. Also a licensed setting from pen and paper RPGs.

Temple of Elemental Evil - Set in Greyhawk, which is the exact same shit as FR but more generic. Orcs, Elves, etc Also a licensed setting from pen and paper RPGs.

Dragonlance - again, same generic fantasy stuff with minor twists. Less generic than Greyhawk/FR but also probably a bit more cheesy than FR in most cases due to the book tie ins and over use of dragons, but not significantly so. The games didn't seem cheesy at all if you hadn't read the books.licensed

Ravenloft - It's horror D&D, with dwarves and elves etc, but the videogames were probably not the best way to judge the setting as a whole. Cheese level likely highly variable, a licensed setting from pen and paper RPGs.

Worse/more cheesy than FR:

Avernum - Cat people, lizardmen and generic humans. Strictly worse than FR in terms of races; Sillier due to Cat people, but also less interesting in terms of character building as you have 3 races to pick from, but humans are worthless and lizards are only good as pole fighters so you end up running 4 Cat people or 3 Cat people and a Lizard. Being in a cave was interesting although poorly used.

Might and Magic - just a slightly dumber version of the Forgotten realms, with a poorly done Sci Fi twist at the end of each game and a tiny fraction of the backstory. Orcs, Elves etc, although in the poorly regarded Day of the Destroyer, they introduce PC races which are from generic fantasy, but usually NPC only, like trolls and dragons and vampires and dark elves. Inoffensive, but just lacking any real development due to being made up for a videogame.

Wizardry - All the classic fantasy races, plus Cat people, dog people, lizard people, dragon people and wookies (fucking wookies man). Essentially the nightmare scenario.

Wizards and Warriors - Elephant people, Lizardmen, Ratmen, Tigermen, complete with ridiculous names. Fuck you D.W. Bradley, fuck you. Elephant people!!?!!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!? fuck

Spelljammer - I can't say I gave it a fair shake, but it seems to me this is a case of being too original.

Septerra Core - JRPG world designed to cash in on FF7. Only on here for completion's sake, although the setting wasn't as bad as the Wizardies or anything.

Not sure

Dragon Age Origins - did not play, have heard it is pretty much a generic dwarves and elves setting with some renaming and low quality "modern" twists like using fantasy races as stand ins for real life human groups

Geneforge - did not play, found real time outside of combat concept upsetting, as well as finding setting offensive

Entomorph - ???

Magic Candle - elves, dwarves, goblins, lizardmen, amazon, wizards as a race

Bards Tale - by three we have all the standard races, plus gnomes and half orcs

Conclusion

1) Video game developers are not original enough to come up with anything besides
a) all humans
b) generic fantasy races... possibly with a minor twist on some of them
c) some sort of ridiculous animal people

2) FR may be bland, but what does that make the huge numbers of CRPGs set in inferior clone settings (or homebrew clone settings like Might and Magic with no where near the backstory to draw from)?

3) We are kind of fucked. Since D&D is dead, and by far the best settings were licensed from D&D products.

4) Arcanum is really unique in having a good setting yet not being licensed. Too bad they didn't make the gameplay better.

PorkaMorka said:
Spelljammer - I can't say I gave it a fair shake, but it seems to me this is a case of being too original.
Um, how the world with magic spac-faring ships, pretty unique cosmology and often clever uses of standard races is unoriginal? Yeah, it's quite old and often contradicts Planescape cosmology, but it's really far from being unoriginal.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Stainless Veteran said:
PorkaMorka said:
Um, how the world with magic spac-faring ships, pretty unique cosmology and often clever uses of standard races is unoriginal? Yeah, it's quite old and often contradicts Planescape cosmology, but it's really far from being unoriginal.

I said "too original" not "unoriginal". Sailing open decked ships through a version of outer space based on those crazy ancient models to travel between D&D campaign worlds is ridiculously original... but how much of your potential audience will buy into it? I certainly won't knock the setting, but it's not surprising it ended up with a small but loyal following.

mountain hare said:
Jora said:
PorkaMorka said:
Geneforge - ...finding setting offensive
Huh?? :?
The setting in the Genforge series is great. You should play Geneforge 5.
Geneforge 1 really shines in terms of setting and atmosphere IMHO.

Yeah, I should probably play it, even though everything I read about it rubs me the wrong way, because it seems to be highly recommended and it may be a counter example to my idea about the lack of originality in settings designed by video game developers.

mountain hare

Scholar
PorkaMorka said:
Yeah, I should probably play it, even though everything I read about it rubs me the wrong way, because it seems to be highly recommended and it may be a counter example to my idea about the lack of originality in settings designed by video game developers.

The setting is fairly original, and the PC's race is human. In Geneforge 4 and 5, you can choose to play as a servile, who are essentially humanoids with big noses and hunched backs.

I'm not going to deny that the game has its flaws. When I first played it, I was thrown off by its dissimilarity from Exile and Nethergate. The real time movement mixed with the turn based combat did take some getting used to. However, its engrossing story and atmosphere grew on me, as did the non-linear progression and the simple yet elegant gameplay and mechanics. I must have replayed it four or five times to get all of the endings.

Eh, give it a chance, I say.

DraQ

Arcane
PorkaMorka said:
Nnnnnnnnecro Reply!

Blandness can be an asset in an RPG setting, because by and large video game designers are quite bad at designing RPG settings, which is understandable as it is hard.

If you take your medieval fantasy RPG and set it in a bland part of the Forgotten Realms, the setting won't hold many surprises, sure.

But it's also not going to be offensively bad, and since we're so familiar with the generic fantasy elements and races, these bland concepts are unlikely to come off as wrong, out of place, or overly cheesy, and "take us out of the game". The setting won't be a strength of the game, but it won't be a weakness either, the game will have to stand or fall on it's other merits.
Wait, are we still discussing FR or not?

Blandness is not an asset there, but yet another drawback as due to its kitchensink nature and its roots in dork age D&D *is* just plain fucking zany, and while PS may play with this, FR does not, so we end up with a setting that is neither interesting nor believable and thus dual wields epic flails.

Orcs and elves are certainly bland, but they still come out far ahead of Cat People (Avernum), Dog People and Wookies (Wizardry 8) in terms of avoiding avoiding a cheesy or silly feel.
All depends on implementation. If provided races lack any sort of background explanation (like in Wizardry), then whether you have cat people, dog people and such among more typical races doesn't really change anything quality-wise, not to mention that wookies were ironically the most fleshed out player race of the eclectic bunch available.

If provided races have any sort of well realized, non-cheese background, then similarly it doesn't matter, as as long as said background isn't BSB the end result will be potentially cool and interesting. I could add, being very smug about this issue, as befits codex's resident furfag furry*, that weird races have a slight edge here as different physiologies can provide grounds for really alien cultures and value systems, the caveat being that too alien beings may not be well suited for being PCs and, of course, that originality is teh hard.

Avoiding silly PC races is much more important than avoiding silly monsters as with hundreds of monsters some level of silliness is inevitable, but there are only a few PC races and you see them a lot more, and may have to bring one along.

Disagreed. Monsters are part of the setting just as much as playable races, are much more prone to all forms of illogic which makes them much more aggravating than even most blatant examples of just throwing in catgirls for lulz, tend to have more variety further amplifying their capacity for cheese, lastly, having dozens of species of sapients of negligible importance that are just there for the evulz just makes it impossible to take the setting seriously. At least PC races tend to form a well defined set of some relevance to the gameworld beyond 'here be goblins'.

Let's take a little retrospective through non action, Sword and Sorcery CRPGs, set outside of the FR, but still having non human playable races (so Darklands gets left out):

Why no pre-oblivious TES (way to casually gloss over the one of the best original settings in fantasy cRPGs)? I'm ignoring both the "non action" and "sword and sorcery" (seriously, does Arcanum even qualify?) parts here, as I see no reason for constraining contenders mechanics wise when discussing fucking settings (even being or not an RPG is irrelevant here), nor to limit ourselves to arguably the most cliche-ridden subgenre of fantasy - unless the point was to carefully doctor the conclusions by manipulating sample, but then "well, and youa redumb" is more than sufficient reply, earning extra points for style and brevity.

Conclusion

1) Video game developers are not original enough to come up with anything besides
a) all humans
b) generic fantasy races... possibly with a minor twist on some of them
c) some sort of ridiculous animal people

Well, yeah, vidya geams dev... something are all degenerate untermenschen. This is inevitable, set in stone and in fact a part of their textbook definition. :roll:

2) FR may be bland, but what does that make the huge numbers of CRPGs set in inferior clone settings (or homebrew clone settings like Might and Magic with no where near the backstory to draw from)?
Underachievers? Also, aiming for lowest common denominator.

3) We are kind of fucked. Since D&D is dead, and by far the best settings were licensed from D&D products.
Was it not for the sorry state of the gaming industry in general, D&Ds corpse would give me boner so hard I would start to fear that I might be a necrophiliac.

4) Arcanum is really unique in having a good setting yet not being licensed
Other similarly unique settings being specifically excluded through sample-selection. :roll:

*) no homo man!

BethesdaLove said:
Everything with -punk in it, is shit.
TES stetting is shit.
Represent!
GTFO moron.

BethesdaLove

Arbiter
DraQ said:
BethesdaLove said:
Everything with -punk in it, is shit.
TES stetting is shit.
Represent!
GTFO moron.
Oh, ppplease, show me the awesome of TES! Show me something! I havent seen before. Dont even get me started on the concept of Originality.
Here is some Wiki-love, you punk:
The world of the Elder Scrolls is known for its attention to detail, attempted realism (AAAHAHHAHAHAHHA ROFL), and the vast number of names, dates, and places that constitute its history and the interconnected structure of its various societies, cultures, and religions. There is no one compilation of all information pertaining to the Elder Scrolls world, and, within the games, historical references are often vague or unclear. Players are encouraged to draw their own conclusions about situations and events for which the records are sparse, contradictory, or incomplete.

The Elder Scrolls take place on the fantasy world of Nirn in the continent of Tamriel, a large landmass divided into nine provinces. The exceptions are The Elder Scrolls Legends: Battlespire and parts of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion that take place between the realm of Oblivion (one of several alternate dimensions ruled by immortal god-like beings known as Daedra Princes) and the mortal realm of Mundus. There are other continents besides Tamriel on Nirn (such as Akavir or Yokuda), but there has yet to be an official game that takes place in one.

Tamriel itself is an empire divided into nine provinces, each with its own native race. Those provinces are as follows: Cyrodiil; Morrowind; High Rock; The Summerset Isles; Hammerfell; Black Marsh; Skyrim; Valenwood; and Elsewyr. The native races of the provinces are as follows: Imperials in Cyrodiil; Dark Elves (also known as Dunmer) in Morrowind; Bretons and Orcs in High Rock; High Elves (also known as Altmer) in The Summerset Isles; Redguards in Hammerfell; Argonians in Black Marsh; Nords in Skyrim; Wood Elves (also known as Bosmer) in Valenwood; and Khajiit in Elsweyr. The emperor resides in the capital of Cyrodiil. The ruling dynasty throughout the third era was entirely of the descendants of Tiber Septim. His line, frequently called the Dragonborn, ended at the conclusion of the third era with the death of Martin Septim, the last living heir of the last emperor, Uriel Septim VII.

Thats it? And a bunch of furry races? And I am the moron? Christ Almighty, please save this individual!

Here is some random, awesome TES Lore!
A strict code upheld by the Bosmer of Valenwood, which prohibits the use of any wood or vegetable matter of Valenwood as building materials, and requires that Bosmer be strict carnivores. This non-vegetarian practice is part of the Meat Mandate, a section of the pact that also states a Bosmer must eat his fallen enemy; this cannibalistic nature sets them apart religiously from other nations. The Bosmer allegedly made the Green Pact with Y'ffre the Forest Deity in return for Y'ffre's patronage and perhaps protection. As a result, the Bosmer use bone, animal, and insect products widely; imported wood is used when necessary. There are also almost no cities or towns built by the Bosmer themselves.
Now fucking run along and larp some herb collecting faggot in Morronshit.

Here is some more!
Volume Two: The Skeletal Corpse

When raising a skeleton servant, it is most important that the body of the skeleton be complete. If the skeleton is missing crucial bones, the results can be frustrating. One should only attempt to raise skeletons when you are sure that all or nearly all the bones are present.

While the magic involved in raising a skeleton will assemble the bones in the proper order, skeletons may be strengthened considerably by the addition of support on their joints. The most common are leather straps that bind the bones together more tightly. Some practitioners also drive metal spikes are between the joints, which is more expensive and time consuming, but they protect the servant where it is weakest. The details of this are unimportant as even an amateur can strengthen a skeleton significantly. Only practice will reveal the best methods of binding and reinforcing the skeletal servant. Amateurs often make the mistake of binding the bones too tightly, limiting the skeleton's movements and making it useless. Again, only practice can give the necessary experience in these matters, though it is best to err towards tight bindings. One may always loosen them at a later date.

One more note to the student: While most undead can be raised again and again, skeletons are often damaged in ways that make raising them again impossible. This is another reason that care should be given to the skeleton's preparation. Too many young Necromancers raise every skeleton they see with little or no preparation at all. Given the difficulty of obtaining corpses, this kind of inefficiency cannot be tolerated.

YOU JUST FUCKING RAISED DEAD AND ITS MOVING! But make sure that the joints are connected or else the muscles wont fucking stick! THE ATTENTION TO DETAIL IS ASS-TOUNDING!

Ruprekt

Scholar
TES lore was cool in Morrowind because it was a written by an old white dude who looked like he could sit at the right hand of jack vance or george r r martin.

Then he left and it went to shit :the end:

PorkaMorka said:
I said "too original" not "unoriginal". Sailing open decked ships through a version of outer space based on those crazy ancient models to travel between D&D campaign worlds is ridiculously original... but how much of your potential audience will buy into it? I certainly won't knock the setting, but it's not surprising it ended up with a small but loyal following.
fvbC5.jpg

Ah, I see. Well, to each its own, I suppose. But sailing through outer space on ships pictured above, it's not really more ridiculous than many things in Planescape, for that matter.

Tails

Arbiter
The worst thing for me about Baldur's Gate 1 (and the combat) was that PC with low intelligence speaks normally and with high can't say nothing really intelligent. I don't recall single encounter when Charisma or Intelligence could be useful to avoid encounter or solve quest in different way (but I could be wrong).

In Baldurs Gate 2 in that "fish town" there was this monster (Beholder? or something like that) which was guarding a chest and a character with higher Int could convince him to leave and open the chest. I don't recall any other situation where Int or Ch had use.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
There were more, I'm kinda sure about that. But not many.

Unfortunately, adding special dialogue for dumb characters is a huge amount of work, usually too much for most teams. Or just too expensive.

DraQ

Arcane

mountain hare

Scholar
Tails said:
The worst thing for me about Baldur's Gate 1 (and the combat) was that PC with low intelligence speaks normally and with high can't say nothing really intelligent. I don't recall single encounter when Charisma or Intelligence could be useful to avoid encounter or solve quest in different way (but I could be wrong).

The worst thing about Baldur's Gate were the wide areas of nothing, combined with the slow movement speed of your party. Even when I was using a walkthrough to guide me to the encounters of interest, I still found the game dreadfully boring.

Baldur's Gate II did not have this problem. Everything was very 'dense', there was hardly ever a dull moment. And if there was, party banter usually alleviated it.

Tails

Arbiter
thesheeep said:
Hm could be, seriously I don't recall more, in fact I remember more forced events like with Yoshimo - he can't be convinced in anyway to help player during betrayal and if player leaves him in tavern and come back to pick him up after Asylum, Yoshimo is magically killed. Same with Underdark and the Githzerai(?) blade... even if you give it them back, they still attack :roll: or situation in expansion with the guy who gives player piece of Githzerai blade, when he convince some city guards that player is thief - another unavoidable fight. Still, there were few nice moments in BG2.

Unfortunately, adding special dialogue for dumb characters is a huge amount of work, usually too much for most teams. Or just too expensive.
Then Bioware could do something similar to PS:T - lower INT, less dialogue options available. It would be for sure easier and cheaper ;)

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Tails said:

In Baldurs Gate 2 in that "fish town" there was this monster (Beholder? or something like that) which was guarding a chest and a character with higher Int could convince him to leave and open the chest. I don't recall any other situation where Int or Ch had use.
This. Fucking this. Playing an intelligent, wise and charismatic character in BG series was a fucking torture. Especially getting comically out-talked by people like Nalia. Seriously, how dumb one has to be to be consider "there's no time" a valid answer to question about what one is going to fight, especially when one has to travel for a long time to get to the place that needs to be relieved from attack?
For fucks sake! FOR FUCKS SAKE!!! :x

thesheeep said:

How about simply not allowing dumb characters (or intelligent characters while we are at it), then? Retarded dialogue lines are also a penalty for low Int stat, no different from penalty for low dex or low str.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom