Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate 1/2 gameplay is total shit.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
racofer said:
Just saying.

Finished TotSC last night. Just need to kill Sarevok again and it'll be on to BG2 in my Winter 2009-2010 Infinity Engine run through. I REALLY enjoyed my replay of BG1. Even if there isn't much C&C, and story/dialog really isn't the focus, it's still an awful lot of fun to see a party of 2nd Ed DnD characters go from total weaklings to pretty bad ass.

LittleJoe

Arbiter
I'll stop playing BG 1/2 if you can find me something better.

And don't say Arcanum.

Murk

Arcane
ScottishMartialArts said:
racofer said:
Just saying.

Finished TotSC last night. Just need to kill Sarevok again and it'll be on to BG2 in my Winter 2009-2010 Infinity Engine run through. I REALLY enjoyed my replay of BG1. Even if there isn't much C&C, and story/dialog really isn't the focus, it's still an awful lot of fun to see a party of 2nd Ed DnD characters go from total weaklings to pretty bad ass.

Kind of what I'm doing too - but I plan to play IWD 1 after BG 1. I'm not using a party though, a solo half-elf Fighter/Mage/Thief who's using large swords and archery - so far I'm at level 4/4/5 and the combo of web+composite long bow = death to everyone, with a necklace of missiles and wand of fire to back it up.

Simple enemies get hit easy enough with archery and stronger ones I can afford to melee at this point. The lack of mage spells makes it a preference to run around in the Ankheg plate too so my AC is something like -4 at any given time. I probably did waste like an hour on re-rolling to get good stats though and still have a negative Wis and Cha score.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I have found BG1/2 combat very boring unless I play F/M/T. Mages are rather bland and fighters lack options, especially with the lack of direct attack commands like in Goldbox Games tends to detach from fighter's actions.
Even something as simple as an ability to fight more offensively or defensively would greatly enhance the game IIRC - there's such option in the DMG.

Too bad they didn't use the Players Option: Combat & Tactics rules - I think they are much better for a computer game than vanilla AD&D.

Personally, I find roguelikes like ADOM and Incursion much more enjoyable when it comes to combat. Especially ADOM with its "Tactics" setting and awesome necromancy.
Also Goldbox games.

The dialogue/C&C/paths part is much worse than in games like Fallout and Arcanum. Especially that a retarded character gets the same dialogue options as a genius and sometimes the quest design forces PC to be inactive or say/do something stupid.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Perfect gameplay>very good gameplay>good gameplay~TOEE/JA2>decent>BG1/2/IE>>NWN2~barely acceptable gameplay>NWN~shit>total shit

Nope, raco. While I often agree with you, you're quite off the mark here. For a party based game in non-first person view it is still quite far removed from total shit. But thanks for sharing.

PS: Since Volly claims NWN to be party-based...it's sucky. As a single character game I find the gameplay to be decent, though.

Black

Arcane
Shannow said:
Perfect gameplay>very good gameplay>good gameplay~TOEE/JA2>decent>BG1/2/IE>>NWN2~barely acceptable gameplay>NWN~shit>total shit

Nope, raco. While I often agree with you, you're quite off the mark here. For a party based game in non-first person view it is still quite far removed from total shit. But thanks for sharing.

PS: Since Volly claims NWN to be party-based...it's sucky. As a single character game I find the gameplay to be decent, though.
This is the Codex. Anything below decent is automagically shit.
HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN YOUR VOWS?!
Wait, why is even JA2 after good gameplay, are you mad, jesus cocks.

Awor Szurkrarz said:
I have found BG1/2 combat very boring unless I play F/M/T. Mages are rather bland and fighters lack options, especially with the lack of direct attack commands like in Goldbox Games tends to detach from fighter's actions.
Even something as simple as an ability to fight more offensively or defensively would greatly enhance the game IIRC - there's such option in the DMG.

Too bad they didn't use the Players Option: Combat & Tactics rules - I think they are much better for a computer game than vanilla AD&D.

Personally, I find roguelikes like ADOM and Incursion much more enjoyable when it comes to combat. Especially ADOM with its "Tactics" setting and awesome necromancy.
Also Goldbox games.

The dialogue/C&C/paths part is much worse than in games like Fallout and Arcanum. Especially that a retarded character gets the same dialogue options as a genius and sometimes the quest design forces PC to be inactive or say/do something stupid.
Hack the game to play solo F/M/T/C.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I enjoy ADOM as much as the next fellow, yet I can still appreciate the encounters in BG 1 and 2 and do not share the sentiments that mages are "bland" - the game has such a multitude of spells for every situation, as if the designers had actually designed this to be solo'd by a competent wizard and then added the rest as fluff so that players who are not as competent can use fighters to shield the wizards and clerics to restore their HP.

That's how it felt to me, but I was 15 years old then, so...

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Jasede said:
I enjoy ADOM as much as the next fellow, yet I can still appreciate the encounters in BG 1 and 2 and do not share the sentiments that mages are "bland" - the game has such a multitude of spells for every situation, as if the designers had actually designed this to be solo'd by a competent wizard and then added the rest as fluff so that players who are not as competent can use fighters to shield the wizards and clerics to restore their HP.
The amount of spells per day is limited. On low levels it's extremely limited, which means that most of time, mage will be out of spells. It's one of my favourite spell systems, though.
My main problem with mages is that the game doesn't offer anything interesting for mages to do when they aren't casting spells.
There are no additional skills that would make mages more interesting - so, it's the same as with fighters, unless the mage is high-level.
Even Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday from 1990 had skills.

BTW. My first attempt to play BG1 was with a necromancer. After reading orgasmic reviews and reading the game manual, I expected something that would be much better than Fallout.
I picked the necromancer class because I wanted to use the Animate Dead spell to animate some ogre zombies :D . I thought that the spell will work as described in manual :D .
After a day of playing, it turned out that besides stunning sound and graphics and awesome atmosphere, the gameplay is pretty bland and boring. The only thing that was keeping me playing was the perspective of obtaining the Animate Dead spell and creating bizarre undead.
It certain point, I saw one cleric cast Animate Dead and it turned out that it's an ordinary summoning spell. I was very disappointed and I quit playing for about half a year.
I've returned to playing it only after I have discovered character editing and a bit later, modding.

Generally, I don't like how lousy the game mechanics are.
Shields give AC bonus all around, enemy thieves can backstab from the front, even thought the player can't.
Mirror Image spell is horribly broken - in BG1 it served as a protection from area damage - in both games it doesn't protect from any effects attached to attacks, which means that when mirror image gets hit by a ghoul or similar creature, the character gets paralysed anyway.
In two weapon fighting, when an off-hand weapon gets a bonus attack the main hand weapon gets that bonus instead, both weapons receive bonuses against creature type from one weapon, there are fucking self-guided non-magical arrows, knives, darts, etc.

Black said:
Games are a luxury entertainment product. It makes treating anything below decent as shit pretty reasonable.

ElectricOtter

I actually found playing as a mage pretty entertaining, at least for the first part of the game. I usually lose interest around the Gnoll Stronghold.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Black said:
HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN YOUR VOWS?!
Wait, why is even JA2 after good gameplay, are you mad, jesus cocks.
very good gameplay>good gameplay~TOEE/JA2
It is after very good and on the level of good.
Yes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom