Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Can someone explain to me how this "enhanced edition" actually looks WORSE than the original? Seriously, WTF?

I don't understand that, either. The huge black outlines around characters, the peculiar fields of sharp contrast around the map, the UI elements and design that are shittier than the original... it looks like shit, which is why I've always figured I'm better off playing the originals with a resolution/UI mod or two.

That and all the additional bugs and badly-written garbage they apparently add to the original games.

Even in the western world, they're less paid than men for the same amount of work).

You can turn off the gfx 'updates', these things were shown in their twitch stream and people didn't seem to have too much of a problem with it.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Amber Scott, writer for the new Baldur's Gate has written a D&D adventure before. I remember it for all the wrong reasons.

She wrote an adventure for Paizo's Wrath of the Righteous adventure path, The Worldwound Incursion. I remembered her name immediately because it was one of the fucking worst written parts of the adventure path, by far. If this is how she plans to write Baldur's Gate, it's gonna be a must skip game.

For those not in the know about tabletop gaming, there is a term called 'railroading'. It's when you essentially remove the ability of players to choose different paths, and force them to stay on a very linear approach that meets your predefined plot line. It's considered to be very bad form. Even when you need to get the players to follow a predesigned path, you're supposed to present 'the illusion of choice'.

The adventure opens with all the players in a cave, and then gives you a long ass flashback about how they got there. Flashbacks in tabletop gaming are /bad/. Railroading to the nth degree. The adventure then goes down a series of linear caves, though it does get it's crap together for awhile after that.

What I remembered most, though, was the useless fluff and the SJW shoehorning. She wrote a ton of material that explains why rooms look like they do, but never provides any way for the players to get this information. The whole adventure reads like a novel rather than something thats supposed to be cooperative storytelling.

She shoehorned in a gay male couple, and also a transgender NPC and her lesbian wife. The thing that completely saves it was she is so mind meltingly bad at writing that she doesn't actually remember to get these plot elements involved in any way. She wrote a shit ton of back story for the NPCs, then never gives you any clue how your supposed to introduce it or why it even matters.

I was so goddamned angry, and not because of the forced diversity. It's because she introduced these characters exclusively because she want to force people to deal with them and get in their headspace, and then she gave /NO INFORMATION/ on how to play them. One of the most difficult aspects in DMing a game is understanding characters motivations and why they act the way they do. In the most charitable interpretation, she wrote these damned tokenist characters then expected me to know how they think because they're something she throws into all her adventures. In the least, she just wanted to make shitlords uncomfortable.

Amber, if you're reading this, I changed them hetero, because you gave me nothing to work with. Learn how to write cooperative fantasy if this is what you want to do.

FWIW, The rest of the adventures, written by other writers, in the line are pretty good. Loved the second and it's freeform stringing together of 'minisodes'.

3f7ff01550.png

Grubba

Arcane
https://af.gog.com/news/definitive_edition_bundle_baldurs_gate_i_ii_icewind_dale?as=1649904300

..."The team at Beamdog was able to breathe a new life into the Infinity Engine classics." says Greg Tito, Communications Director for Dungeons & Dragons "We're proud to recognize their excellent work in offering the best possible experience and support for these legendary titles. We want these to become the definitive editions – featuring both the enhanced and classic versions of the games."On April 29, Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition, and Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition will be expanded to include the classic versions – each becoming the Definitive Edition Bundle and not available for purchase separately. If you already own the classics on GOG.com, the games currently on your shelf won't be affected.

This is just fucking sad and pretty much kills any hope of there ever being another decent D&D cRPG. Nobody in a position of authority has any fucking clue what they're doing or who their audience is. This together with SCL/n-Space drama just makes that abundantly clear.

I wonder what the people who worked on the original BG games think of all this crap? Can they really speak their minds or are they still in the industry and afraid of hurting potential future employment opportunities?

Last edited by a moderator:

pippin

The bundle thing makes me so fucking angry. I wish people would complain more about it and do some sort of protest about it. I'd join it for sure.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I personally believe that it's flat-out impossible to be a good writer unless you have a firm grasp of reality, insight into people and genuine human emotions and behavior, and an authentic understanding of the human condition. Note that I'm not just referring to fiction; Sun Tzu possessed those qualities in spades.

Obsessed ideologues of any kind can never possess any of these qualities, unless they at some point cease being obsessed ideologues. Their existence is wrapped up in their ideology, and from their solipsistic viewpoint, everyone else should be, too. To them, reality is as they dictate it, only their interpretations and judgments of emotions and behavior are relevant, and the human condition can be boiled down to the key talking points of their agendas.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I personally believe that it's flat-out impossible to be a good writer unless you have a firm grasp of reality, insight into people and genuine human emotions and behavior, and an authentic understanding of the human condition. Note that I'm not just referring to fiction; Sun Tzu possessed those qualities in spades.

Obsessed ideologues of any kind can never possess any of these qualities, unless they at some point cease being obsessed ideologues. Their existence is wrapped up in their ideology, and from their solipsistic viewpoint, everyone else should be, too. To them, reality is as they dictate it, only their interpretations and judgments of emotions and behavior are relevant, and the human condition can be boiled down to the key talking points of their agendas.

Good writing is really hard and mentally exhausting. You have to actually think like a different person you might normally hate / disagree completely with and empathize with their plights. This is a skill you learn in debate clubs, defending a position you completely disagree with..

This is beyond the capability of a fat bitchy bimbo in Alberta who spends her entire day in a echo chamber.

I know just enough about writing - to know that I am shit at it. I wish others could be so introspective.

The guy who coded alone Voidspire Tactics (an excellent game) should have coded a NPC citing Gamer's Gate, SJW or Trump, at least people would have been more interested in his game.
But he doesn't give a shit, and I absolutely agree with him.

Grubba

Arcane
So is that he/she an NPC that can join your party?

Is it possible to carry over the girdle of masculinity/femininity into this expansion? Would be great to turn that tranny "woman" back into a man.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
So is that he/she an NPC that can join your party?

Is it possible to carry over the girdle of masculinity/femininity into this expansion? Would be great to turn that tranny "woman" back into a man.
No it's just a random NPC that exists because writer wanted to have a conversation about transgenderism in the game.

I don't know about Sunset, I'll google it.
And if it's true, well, too bad for Beamdog, why did they have to let Amber spew out her rage and agenda in the media against their potential costumers? It doesn't make sense.
But it's all right, I don't even really like the Baldur's Gate games and I only wish her happiness.
It's just stupid because the game seems quite good.

Mustawd

The mixed reviews on Steam had a huge part in SCL's death. Personally, I'm hesitant as hell to ever pick up something that's less than "Mostly positive". Sometimes if I'm on the fence I browse the reviews to see if it's just console casualness or actual real life issues.

I doubt most steam tards give it even that much thought.

Grubba

Arcane
So it's Sunday night and typing "siege of dragonspear" into google results in news articles announcing its release. By mid-morning tomorrow, will the top results be about this SJW backlash shitstorm?

I guess the good to come from this is that it might put a stop to any further Beamdog D&D projects, and indeed any/all D&D cRPGs in general. And you know what, good. If they aren't going to do it right then don't fucking do it at all.

everything is shit

It was a bad game and they lied! Dragonspear seems decent through the opinions of the few codexers who really played it before it was covered by the noise of shrieks of the harpy in the media : "If you don't like our point of view, fuck off!"

It worked for Maurice Pialat who was booed while receiving the Palme d'or de Cannes for "Under the sun of Satan" (great movie by the way): You don't like me? I don't like you neither.

But here, we're talking about a role playing game, we could at least choose which role to play.
She should direct a movie, or write a book.

Too young, against my will. But let's stop this shitposting and let the people who effectively played the game deliver their opinion about the game in itself.

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Just think of all those people who bought the Collectors Edition. Siege of Dragonspear - Safe space edition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom