Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Bad News: Chaos Chronicles development on hold due to legal trouble with bitComposer

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I wonder how many copies E:C had to sell to be profitable. Perhaps they expected a bit too much from that game ..

The restriction on online sales to Spain, Italy, Latin America (so BC could sell retail in those areas) is interesting, as I would have guessed those markets had decent potential for them. I wonder how much this hurt them, excluding areas from online sales seems like an encouragement for piracy.
I could buy the game on GOG from Italy though; strange that they'd enforce the restriction only on Steam. It surprised me when I saw the box in my local Gamestop.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Considering they were willing to sell it for 75% off less than six weeks after release (and ended up selling it for 50% off)... I'd say it's a fair assumption they didn't meet sales expectations.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The restriction on online sales to Spain, Italy, Latin America (so BC could sell retail in those areas) is interesting, as I would have guessed those markets had decent potential for them. I wonder how much this hurt them, excluding areas from online sales seems like an encouragement for piracy.
I could buy the game on GOG from Italy though; strange that they'd enforce the restriction only on Steam. It surprised me when I saw the box in my local Gamestop.
GOG does not do restrictions, so it's either everywhere or not at all. Also I bet bC does not see GOG et al as any sort of serious competition to retail the way they do Steam.

DraQ

Arcane
It tells you one (or more) of these things:

1) bitComposer is willing to push unfinished product out the door, when that product meets the deadline. This is bad, and they proved it with Citadels and their March attempt with Chaos Chronicles.

2) bitComposer does not want to inject more money into project which do not reach the deadline. This is reasonable.
1) is plain fucking retarded as it tarnishes both your own and developer's reputation. Having your reputation shot is bad for business.

2) may seem reasonable, but is generally unrealistic and hints at failing to understand this line of business. Making games is creative process, not exact science. It's hard to estimate anything resembling hard deadline when developing games and many notable, even hit games had history of troubled development with deadlines just buzzing by. Game development is also money hungry process, so cancelling a project means burning a large amount of money. So, all in all, if you approach deadlines rigidly, you're going to burn larger amounts of cash and/or reputation than a more lenient producer would.

Unless it's desperate cutting of costs to stay afloat, BitComposter just doesn't strike me as terribly competent here.

Kodex Khronicles
Kaos Kodex.

Duh.

Hamster

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014
But for now, I have to take care about our new project.

Ummm... i don't want to sound like an asshole but unless it's a kickstarter for renamed Chaos Chronicles i have to say "don't bother".

:dead:

Edit:

Most of the 'Chaos Chronicles' assets, source and content is still our property. And of course, our core engine and tools as well (I'd already started the development of those in 2005).
And surely we will not stop making games. We still need to deliver a turn-based RPG to the grim Codex crowd if we don't want our souls be cursed.

Ah, i see, then not all is lost. I was afraid you were talking about starting a completely different project from scratch. Forgive me for overreacting.

DraQ

Arcane
Exactly. People started to post videos of themselves playing and getting jump-scared, and it became a trend... just like that Slender game.

There were 3 Penumbra games from the same developer that play almost the same as Amnesia, but none of them have even 1/10 of Amnesia's fame....
Odd, because from my perspective Penumbras seemed like relatively steady build-up for Amnesia's popularity.

Delterius

Arcane
Grunker or just about anyone else that might know this, did the bitcomposer deal involve extra funding for the E:C guys? If so, any idea how much?

No, not as far as we know. As has been stated several times, the deal with bitComposer primarily concerned access to Steam.

In this post it is implied they may have received money as well.

That's not from bC though. They mentioned additional funding from the beginning. They already had investors when I went to their offices to talk with them back when I did the report :)

I'll be sure to ask them next time I speak to them, however.
What I actually meant by that question is this: I'm really curious just how much of E:C's development the kickstarter fund managed to secure. Doubt they'd disclose exact numbers, but I was hoping that you could phrase that question like 'so, any advice to budding developerrs?!?, like, how very specific money concerns?'.

Stabwound

Arcane
E:C is a pretty niche game. The setting alone is enough for it to be uninteresting to me, and then when you add the other gameplay systems on top, which aren't the most popular, you end up with a very niche game.

Anyway, it definitely sounds like Chaos Chronicles is dead. The only reason we even know about this is because Coreplay was promoting the game so heavily; otherwise this would have been just one of tons of games that probably are conceived and cancelled and never see the light of day. I seriously wonder if the game was actually as close to completion as people seem to believe. A couple screenshots and 5 second videos of characters shooting fireballs doesn't mean shit.

Looking for the official response from Coreplay, anyway.

Raynald Levesque

Barely Literate
What do you mean by "plant" can you explain ? i am not an english speaking person. Did i do something wrong by posting a link for a new RPG turned-based game ?

Indranys

Savant
What do you mean by "plant" can you explain ? i am not an english speaking person. Did i do something wrong by posting a link for a new RPG turned-based game ?
The game is a clusterfuck bugfest bro.
And some people here hate it because it looks like a cashgrab scheme and a abomination to the original.
Did you already play it??
Did the game finally playable?

Amnesia got a fuckton of exposure tuluse. It's world famous, even among casual gamers.

Amnesia's success is almost entirely because of retarded youtube celebrities, so yeah it can't really be compared to anything except maybe minecraft.
Exactly. People started to post videos of themselves playing and getting jump-scared, and it became a trend... just like that Slender game.
'

So...all we have to do to revive our ailing cRPG demographic is have retardo youtube celebs play cRPG games?

Maybe get some popular youtube celeb to rage quit on AoD combat? Then the kids will post videos of rage quitting as their beloved warrior PC gets massacred by two dirt farmers?

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Amnesia got a fuckton of exposure tuluse. It's world famous, even among casual gamers.

Amnesia's success is almost entirely because of retarded youtube celebrities, so yeah it can't really be compared to anything except maybe minecraft.
'

So...all we have to do to revive our ailing cRPG demographic is have retardo youtube celebs play cRPG games?

Maybe get some popular youtube celeb to rage quit on AoD combat? Then the kids will post videos of rage quitting as their beloved warrior PC gets massacred by two dirt farmers?
Need to make an AoD frag montage

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Well, games like "I wanna be the Guy" and even Dark Souls (PREPARE TO DIE) made fame with the "I dare you!" path of marketing... Age of "GOOD FUCKING RIDDANCE" Decadence could surely follow that line. :P

Raynald Levesque

Barely Literate
Yes my appology to post in the wrong thread. Regarding the game i play yesterday for 5-6 hours. Defenetly the game is not ready:

- no game manual
- the main map is still in german
- still some minor bugs
- very anoying camera in turned-based battle
etc..

It is very sad that publisher put so many pressure on developper's that result with an unfinished game on the market, because the game itself has alot of potential.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom