Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

Rhobar121

Scholar
Look, you can have interesting companions or you can have two ways to break an enemy's block. We're only a AA developer guys.
It is going to blow my mind if I can tell my companion to break the enemy's block, but I dont know if that kind of technology is possible
Obsidian will discover command issuing in about 10 years. Of course they will announce this as the main revolutionary feature of their next game.

Gargaune

Magister
Look, you can have interesting companions or you can have two ways to break an enemy's block. We're only a AA developer guys.
It is going to blow my mind if I can tell my companion to break the enemy's block, but I dont know if that kind of technology is possible
Obsidian will discover command issuing in about 10 years. Of course they will announce this as the main revolutionary feature of their next game.
You lot think you're being funny, but you live in a world where GOTY 2023 doesn't do point & click party selection.

Silverfish

Arbiter
Oh wait scratch that. In Skyrim, it's about race which determines what you're good at. That is sort of like a class.

It's really not. The difference between base skill levels and race's favored skills is only 5-10 points, basically nothing for an Elder Scrolls game. Besides that, some racial abilities don't jive with skill bonuses anyway (Argonians get bonuses to thief-like skills, but their racial ability makes them the best straightforward melee tanks for instance).

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's really not. The difference between base skill levels and race's favored skills is only 5-10 points, basically nothing for an Elder Scrolls game. Besides that, some racial abilities don't jive with skill bonuses anyway (Argonians get bonuses to thief-like skills, but their racial ability makes them the best straightforward melee tanks for instance).
The point is that it informs what kind of character you should develop.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
You lot think you're being funny, but you live in a world where GOTY 2023 doesn't do point & click party selection.
Jagged Alliance 3 does feature the cutting-edge technological advance of point-and-click character selection.

GiMYwC6.png

Butter

Arcane
Patron
The point is that it informs what kind of character you should develop.
I think most people don't even realize the racial skill bonuses are a thing. The game doesn't tell you anything during character creation, and it's pretty easy to assume the choice of race is going to be cosmetic only.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I think most people don't even realize the racial skill bonuses are a thing. The game doesn't tell you anything during character creation, and it's pretty easy to assume the choice of race is going to be cosmetic only.
They don't give you the nerdy numbers but they do include a description of what they're good at.
Skyrim_SE_Bosmer-1024x566.jpg

rojay

Scholar
Man, I hate modern AAA gamedev interviews because they say absolutely nothing about nothing. Like I skimmed through the above and it's all shit like

But how exactly do companions work in Avowed?

"If you go into an encounter, they will follow you and they'll fight alongside you," Patel explains. "And they'll draw some of the aggro with you. But yes, you can absolutely make use of their specific abilities, which are all tied to their combat roles if you want to exercise a little more control."

It's like ChatGPT dialogue on "what does a companion do in RPGs?"
Why do they do those interviews?

“It shouldn’t be like ‘this is a wonderful sandbox, but I’m just building my own sandcastles here without a larger sense of purpose or identity.’ I think Avowed absolutely does fit the Obsidian ‘personality.’"

I do not actually care how they make the sausage. I just want good sausage. But even if I did care, this nonsense language that fills the page and says nothing is depressing.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Brand exposure/cheap marketing. It's nice and organic, plus, having the headline itself is valuable. Probably still playing that SEO game.

Why they gave the most bland and uninteresting answers, I dunno.

rojay

Scholar

Brand exposure/cheap marketing. It's nice and organic, plus, having the headline itself is valuable. Probably still playing that SEO game.

I think the question I should have asked is, who do they think the audience is? I get that sometimes you do interviews to justify the marketing budget, and that the people asking the questions are not there to ask hard-hitting questions. But who reads that and comes away thinking, "Fuck yeah, there's push and pull in the pacing and momentum!"

Seems like you'd just market the pew-pew shiny stuff if you're going for casual gamers. If they're trying to convince customers who might actually be interested in the mechanics behind the game, or the lore or some other esoteric shit, then they have failed. This probably wasn't going to be a game for me anyway, but their press for it has not done them any favors.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
What? Skyrim is classless. Did this person even play it?
During character creation you can select a "class" which is a selection of skills you're proficient in https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Character_Classes_(Skyrim)

Oh wait scratch that. In Skyrim, it's about race which determines what you're good at. That is sort of like a class.
What kind of savage uses Fandom instead of UESP?

The new age hipster cuck that is Roguey

scytheavatar

Scholar

I think the question I should have asked is, who do they think the audience is?

Patel mde it clear the target audience are the ones who asked for a medieval The Outer Worlds. Is that audience large enough to be worth targeting? Probably not. But that's the message Obsidian wants to get across.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Patel mde it clear the target audience are the ones who asked for a medieval The Outer Worlds. Is that audience large enough to be worth targeting? Probably not. But that's the message Obsidian wants to get across.
TOW sold 5 million and fantasy RPGs typically outsell sci-fi RPGs (Skyrim beat Fallout 3/4 and Starfield by a significant amount) so hypothetically it could do pretty well for itself.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.gamesradar.com/avowed-i...s-still-the-players-story-first-and-foremost/

Avowed is a fantasy RPG with open-zone maps, unique local conflicts, and companions to meet – but it's still "the player's story first and foremost"​

Big in 2024 | Obsidian highlights Avowed's player-centered view on exploration and storytelling, including how companions factor in

Obsidian Entertainment is known for its beautiful video game environments and stories, but Avowed is poised to up the ante even more. We already know that the upcoming fantasy RPG is set in Eora, an embattled kingdom in its Pillars of Eternity universe. Despite this, you don't need to have played that game to understand Avowed's story, and in keeping with large segmented world maps as seen in The Outer Worlds, Obsidian is determined to maintain the player's ability to navigate the story however they choose.

That means although the game isn't a fully open roaming experience, we can expect opportunities for nuanced environmental storytelling and companion-specific decisions as we explore Eora. "Open zones allow us to create a strong sense of place in each of our environments," game director Carrie Patel tells us. "All of our regions have distinct aesthetics and atmospheres as well as unique local conflicts and narratives that build towards the larger, grander story that the player is at the center of. Building Avowed through separate regions allows us to balance that sense of distinctness with a feeling that the player is journeying through portions of a much larger world," says Patel, speaking to Avowed's championing of choice and consequence-driven gameplay – and its flexibility doesn't stop at its "classless" combat system.

Gather the troops​

Avowed's highly-reactive world contains myriad stories and subplots to explore, largely involving your companions. Patel describes these companions as "fellow travelers'' you meet on your journey, and "each have their own ties to the Living Lands, investment in its central conflicts, and personal demons, all of which shape their perspectives." While a romantic opportunity with any of these companions is seemingly off the cards, their stories have the potential to affect the player's own.

In Avowed, we can "influence how the companions tackle their respective personal struggles, and the companions in turn will try to nudge the player around the decisions and outcomes that they think are best…rightly or wrongly," says Patel. "Ultimately, though, companions are the player’s allies – and if you get to know them – friends, which means they’ll help the player out of sticky situations when they can, and they’ll share the expertise they have."

This sounds like Avowed's companions are somewhat optional rather than hard-written into any given playthrough. Their importance in the broader narrative seems essentially down to how players deal with respective quest lines, district conflicts, and other subplots.

Potentially "missable" content like this has been a huge draw for me in other RPGs, with the sheer breadth of choice on offer in the likes of Baldur's Gate 3 being but one reason many players (including myself) are finding such immense replay value in it. I'm keen to explore just how much Avowed's story can shift and branch out after making certain decisions. Obsidian has already commented on how players will never see 100% of everything in a single playthrough due to how much of it hinges on choice, so right now, it's sounding more than promising.

In terms of who these companions are and what they're capable of, Avowed is leaning toward a party-makeup system that can be shaped however you wish. "Each companion has a role in the party if the player wants them to," says gameplay director Gabe Paramo. He goes on to give two examples. "Kai is a tank and can taunt enemies, causing him to take aggro, or Giatta can heal the party when you want her to."

Still, companion choices are just one part of Avowed's overarching mission to facilitate the roleplaying fantasy. "Players will have extensive freedom to experiment with companions, class capabilities, and character progression in both combat and other aspects of the game," says Paramo, with Patel having said previously that Avowed's combat is more like a "fantasy Outer Worlds" despite the Skyrim comparisons.

The ultimate goal of Avowed is clear to me: it's our world to shape however we want, from whose stories we interact with to how we engage in battle. "The player is the main character of Avowed," Patel says in conclusion. "Companions have their own outlooks, goals, and visions for the future of the Living Lands, but this is the player’s story first and foremost, and it falls to the player to decide whose advice to heed."

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom