Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Avowed - Obsidian's first person action-RPG in the Pillars of Eternity setting - coming Fall 2024

NaturallyCarnivorousSheep

Albanian Deliberator Kang
Patron
Possibly Retarded
To think they would come up with less bland and safe setting instead would be too optimistic anyway.
That's kind of it. Mind you that unusual settings don't necessarily mean good sales and that's something they're considering. If you look at larger "renaissance" cRPG's you can really see that DOS1/2 which were self aware generic fantasy(BG3 is obviously that as aswell), Pillars(especially 1) was generic fantasy, Owlcats 2 pathfinder games are generic fantasy, Wasteland is post-apo but post-apo is one of the settings that has track record of working in the genre etc.(in fact some of the other bigger names include ATOM and Underrail).
Meanwhile quasi-historical Expeditions, weird(but bad) Numanuma, zombie-themed Dead State etc simply did worse. The general quality has bearing on that but probably if we managed to get some kind of measure of sales vs. the setting adjusted for quality differences you'd see that fantasy and post apo RPG's just outperform everything else

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Normies (and to Sawyer's horror, most grognards) want to go on an adventure. If your game offers a sense of adventure and excitement, it can have the most banal setting ever and still succeed. Conversely, the most interesting setting won't save you if the plot is less interesting than afternoon tea.

La vie sexuelle

Learned
Normies (and to Sawyer's horror, most grognards) want to go on an adventure. If your game offers a sense of adventure and excitement, it can have the most banal setting ever and still succeed. Conversely, the most interesting setting won't save you if the plot is less interesting than afternoon tea.

PoE setting was banal, but mechanic was broken and bland. PoE setting was try-hardesque, but mechanic was broken and bland. Avowed setting looks even more bland and mechanicaly broken. So what's a point? Perhaps they should stick to Grounded, at last its appealing to somebody.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Eora is an ok setting. It's Obsidian who can't put it to good use, because they are locked in design patterns dating back to FNV and NWN2.

Like D:OS' setting ever prevented the games from being successful.

Quillon

Arcane
they are locked in design patterns dating back to FNV and NWN2.
Instead of looking at Vermintide's -no serious rpg should have- combat, they shoulda looked at the actually successful first person RPG in recent memory: KCD to learn to make quests using its setting's strengths with unique mechanics in them. This is against sawya's efficiency based design philosophy tho.

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
I missed that they already started the "temper your expectations" talk.

• "Only 100 devs, we're super small indies really"
  • "This isn't AAA, more like AA, fr"
  • "It's a medium-sized project of only a few hundred mil, no biggie"

Extrapolating from these, we can probably expect more along these lines

• "Plz don't compare us to BG3, nobody can be as naturally talented as belgians"
  • "Also BG3 is made by the devil"
  • "Good combat is technologically impossible"
  • "We spent the balancing budget on VO"
  • "Toxic gamers want us to crunch"
  • "The Living Lands is only a 4km square, lore is tying our hands"
  • "It's more of a linear action adventure visual novel"
  • "Yes you can have sexual relations with the bear, no romances tho"

It's over.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

• "Plz don't compare us to BG3, nobody can be as naturally talented as belgians"

It's over.
Sounds like hilarious disaster in the making. Looking forward to it!

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer

Don't get me wrong, I like schadenfreude as much as the next dude, but it's disappointing that the current generation of creatives are floundering so badly.

Bodes poorly for the future.

Oh well, AI is going to buttfuck everything eventually anyways.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

Don't get me wrong, I like schadenfreude as much as the next dude, but it's disappointing that the current generation of creatives are floundering so badly.

Bodes poorly for the future.

Oh well, AI is going to buttfuck everything eventually anyways.
Only in these bigger studios though. There have been a number of interesting things lately in the smaller indie space imo.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

It's over.
That's the most annoying thing about Obsidian. From a company that players (normies and grogs alike) had hopes for when it came to what games they release, we are down to keeping fingers crossed that the next game will have at least some redeeming qualities.

All on account of bad management and negative selection, which chased away or neutered anyone with talent who has ever worked at the company.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
That's the most annoying thing about Obsidian. From a company that players (normies and grogs alike) had hopes for when it came to what games they release, we are down to keeping fingers crossed that the next game will have at least some redeeming qualities.

All on account of bad management and negative selection, which chased away or neutered anyone with talent who has ever worked at the company.
If only that could have been anticipated well in advance.
:slamdunk:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The things you can find on the Internet... There is a podcast called "The World of Eora", and it has been running for 81 episodes now: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/...odes/Ep--81-A-Deeper-Dive-into-Avowed-e2f1dip
Blast from the past.

Oct 27, 2018 at 10:20 PM - Roguey: I saw that the kids at /v/ referred to Wodeca fans as "Woedicucks" just waiting for the right opportunity give him/her that burn
Oct 27, 2018 at 10:21 PM - Fairfax: I'm surprised non-obsidian forums people care enough to even create nicknames like that
Oct 27, 2018 at 10:21 PM - Roguey: Fairfax, from what I saw, they were incredibly deeply into PoE lore. It was a strange and interesting contrast compared to here.

Remember, not every place is here. :M

La vie sexuelle

Learned
The things you can find on the Internet... There is a podcast called "The World of Eora", and it has been running for 81 episodes now: https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/...odes/Ep--81-A-Deeper-Dive-into-Avowed-e2f1dip
Blast from the past.

Oct 27, 2018 at 10:20 PM - Roguey: I saw that the kids at /v/ referred to Wodeca fans as "Woedicucks" just waiting for the right opportunity give him/her that burn
Oct 27, 2018 at 10:21 PM - Fairfax: I'm surprised non-obsidian forums people care enough to even create nicknames like that
Oct 27, 2018 at 10:21 PM - Roguey: Fairfax, from what I saw, they were incredibly deeply into PoE lore. It was a strange and interesting contrast compared to here.

Remember, not every place is here. :M

Yes, but also not every place praise PoE setting.

Podcasters are the most devoted kind of believers.

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
/v/ used to like the setting of Pillars, praising the archaic language use as well. But now whenever its mentioned you get larping retards complaining that its an atheist setting *tips fedora* fake fantasy with no gods *tips fedora* californian communist fake godless """fantasy""" *tips fedora*

It's_All_So_Tiresome.jpg

AwesomeButton

Patron
/v/ used to like the setting of Pillars, praising the archaic language use as well. But now whenever its mentioned you get larping retards complaining that its an atheist setting *tips fedora* fake fantasy with no gods *tips fedora* californian communist fake godless """fantasy""" *tips fedora*

View attachment 46146
Everywhere is reddit now

Justinian

Arcane
Developer
there's something poetic about how feargus only got to make his skyrim killed by the time it was dead of old age
"Skyrim killed", dont know if its a typo or if you meant to write it that way, but it fits. 10 years too late to be killed by skyrim, but it still will happen, skyrim is better than this, and everyone already owns it, why buy this shit?

Because there are only so many times you can play the same game no matter how good it is (and Skyrim isn't THAT good anyway).

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom