Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Avadon 2: The Corruption Released

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
That said... you were going to kill Silke? That's cold.
She's a traitor, and if I can do something to avoid a stupid romance, I will. :mad:

Raapys

Arcane
Meh, disappointing game I'd say. Went all the way to lvl 25 or something before I decided it wasn't gonna get any better. The skills were boring, combat was boring and way too common, hp bloat everywhere, loot was uninteresting, 'cutscenes' were annoying... The game really doesn't have much going for it. Replaying the Geneforge series is a much better waste of time.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That said... you were going to kill Silke? That's cold.
She's a traitor, and if I can do something to avoid a stupid romance, I will. :mad:

Fair enough, although she doesn't seem to be part of the party so are we actually sure there is a romance with her, specifically? Maybe it's with the knight who keeps zoning out (the horror).

I definitely didn't give Silke back her satchel, anyway.

muffildy

Educated
Anyone know how to get into Krymhylas lair? Hes the wind demon who blows you around; i can get past his incubis and fire turrets/freeze mines, but then theres a poritcullis that is down and i cant seem to find a switch or anything to raise it.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone know how to get into Krymhylas lair? Hes the wind demon who blows you around; i can get past his incubis and fire turrets/freeze mines, but then theres a poritcullis that is down and i cant seem to find a switch or anything to raise it.

You mean after you've done the world's worst boss fight? If so, I haven't bothered to try and fight him directly, but there's a speech option with the shade that appears in his place after the wind fight; if you tell the shade you want to kill the demon, a door opens and he says to come try.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
And so I've finished the game. Will start to write the truly kkkodexian review either today or tomorrow (well, it's 2 A.M. now so tomorrow is kinda today). Honestly, if not for said reason, I would've abandoned this boring and sad piece of shit almost immediately - it's the drollest game I've ever played, literally. Grinding fucking mobs in some fucking MMORPG is more fun than this shit. What a fucking mess Vogel's games have become.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Did you play Avadon 1? because that was duller. Also, I assume you're not considering 90% of the RPG market, because games like dragon age and torment are inestimably shittier.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Infinitron, please don't drag this thread off topic. If you love torment so much, then please just replace the word with Arcanum or something, okay.

My point was just that Avadon 2 is a pretty bad game for Vogel, but it's still more enjoyable than Avadon 1 and a fair number of non-Vogel rpgs.

Repressed Homosexual
And so I've finished the game. Will start to write the truly kkkodexian review either today or tomorrow (well, it's 2 A.M. now so tomorrow is kinda today). Honestly, if not for said reason, I would've abandoned this boring and sad piece of shit almost immediately - it's the drollest game I've ever played, literally. Grinding fucking mobs in some fucking MMORPG is more fun than this shit. What a fucking mess Vogel's games have become.

I really wonder what Jeff spent twice as much time doing on this one when it looks like the exact same thing as the first one.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
I really wonder what Jeff spent twice as much time doing on this one when it looks like the exact same thing as the first one.

Truth to be told, it's not even that it looks like the exact same thing - the real problem is that it plays exactly the same, with the amount of fresh gameplay accounting for no bigger than 10% of the game. And that's a very generous take, mind you.

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
Infinitron, please don't drag this thread off topic. If you love torment so much, then please just replace the word with Arcanum or something, okay.

My point was just that Avadon 2 is a pretty bad game for Vogel, but it's still more enjoyable than Avadon 1 and a fair number of non-Vogel rpgs.
How is that any better? As far as i understand from the comments (i didn't try it) this game is the same or slightly better than the first one. Still a steep decline from Geneforge etc.
And since not one Vogel game was better than Torment or Arcanum....
:cmcc:

EDIT:Sup drog, etc.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
This game does not even come close to Torment or Arcanum. Somehow I'm sure its creator never intended it to be comparable to these titles and I'm not playing it with such expectations. I'd say Avadon 2's campaign and setting is so far better than what NWN OC offers. It's not much, I'm afraid. But there are different features that make A2 a better game.

Still, as far as Spiderweb titles go, this one seems to have very little in terms of interesting exploration (way worse than the first Avernums or Geneforge) and few choices (strongly inferior to the 1st Geneforge). It's OK; I think I like it more than Avernum 4.

In fact, it's a bit sad to compare this to the first Geneforge game, where a mystery was lurking behind every corner, you could get in some very interesting places right from the start if you played your cards right (this now seems completely impossible), and were offered a variety of choices.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
How is that any better? As far as i understand from the comments (i didn't try it) this game is the same or slightly better than the first one. Still a steep decline from Geneforge etc.

Haha, not one Vogel game was better than Torment Arcanum? I get it that you and a couple of others are into the mainstream stuff, but Geneforge stomped all over Arcanum, it's not even close. I'm not Vogel's cheer-leader, either; there are other developers that I think do a great job. The people behind Age of Decadence are doing a fantastic job; the writing and setting in AoD leaves Arcanum Planescape in the dust. Ultima 7 was a spark of greatness (and then deep, irreversible decline followed for years afterwards), point I'm making is that there's plenty of non-Vogel goodness out there to be found.

My hope right now is that Avadon is just an aberration, and that Vogel isn't going to turn into Garriott or Molyneux and just churn out mediocre shit for the next 20 years.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Also, I have no idea who drog is, and I didn't read these forums until a few months ago

Rake

Arcane
Haha, not one Vogel game was better than Torment Arcanum? I get it that you and a couple of others are into the mainstream stuff, but Geneforge stomped all over Arcanum, it's not even close. I'm not Vogel's cheer-leader, either; there are other developers that I think do a great job. The people behind Age of Decadence are doing a fantastic job; the writing and setting in AoD leaves Arcanum Planescape in the dust. Ultima 7 was a spark of greatness (and then deep, irreversible decline followed for years afterwards), point I'm making is that there's plenty of non-Vogel goodness out there to be found.

My hope right now is that Avadon is just an aberration, and that Vogel isn't going to turn into Garriott or Molyneux and just churn out mediocre shit for the next 20 years.

Sup drog, etc.

The people behind Age of Decadence are doing a fantastic job; the writing and setting in AoD leaves Arcanum Planescape in the dust.
Gasp! Now that actualy made me worried for AoD quality :(. And i was so excited for that game...
Funny how AoD has PS:T and Fallout as influence according to the creator, and the same man considers Arcanum the best RPG ever
Ultima 7 was a spark of greatness
Thank god. Crisis averted. I suppose even a broken clock rings true twice and all that.

Repressed Homosexual

Too late, he said this is how he would forever do games now.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
I have to say the locations are more interesting than in the 1st Avadon and some of the sidequests keep my interest piqued; stuff like the Wandering Eye bit. Going to Corruption. It's not a bad game.

But the hard difficulty level, which I had enjoyed so far, while offering tough battles every once in a while, seems to result in a big hp bloat in mundane fights. (It almost feels as if there should be an 'auto battle' button.)

Unfortunately, there's a basic design flaw in both Avadon games' mechanics: all interesting actions require vitality, and you can't easily replenish it. It's as if the game wanted you to play it in the most boring way.

edit: also: do you guys know to whom in this incarnation of Vogel's games I should give Arcane Scrolls? :D

Last edited:

flushfire

Augur
The writing in this game has got to be the worst of Jeff's games so far. I'm not even looking for the main character to say something brilliant once in a while, I'm content with generic shit. But when he's written like a moron who has to ask what the meaning of intimidate is, it just seems to me Jeff is underestimating the player's intelligence. I guess he's really trying to go full Bioware where he's able to.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom