Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Storyfags Recommendation

Coboney

Scholar
Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
So I guess I'm finally breaking my fear of actually starting a thread here......

I'm going to be so killed.

Well back to the topic at hand. While I've played many of the liked games here like Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, VTM:B and such I've got some free time and looking for games that have solid stories to go through as well. Before someone says read a book - I read a lot but sometimes a change in medium and different ways of telling stories is interesting.

So I ask, what are the games you would recommend for their story?

Erebus

Arcane
Mask of the Betrayer, if you haven't played it yet.

Some NWN1 modules have very nice stories. I especially recommend Elegia Eternum and Excrucio Eternum.

Minttunator

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Wrath
Sadly, we're not exactly spoiled for choice in the story-focused RPG genre. Mask of the Betrayer is the first one that springs to mind. The Witcher games have fairly cool stories as well, you could also maybe try Fallout: New Vegas.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
You won't find anything better than Torment and Mask of the Betrayer, so obviously play the latter if you haven't. I would also recommend Adam Miller's Dreamcatcher and Shadowlords series for NWN1.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Deus Ex, New Vegas, Morrowind and Twitchers have solid stories. Red Dead Redemption, too, but I don't know if it ever made it to PC. Final Fantasy XII has a good story but really tedious gameplay, I recommend watching an LP and skipping through the boring parts.

Necroscope

Arcane
Codex 2014
I forgot to mention Blood Omen - Legacy of Kain:

Call your dogs! They can feast on your corpses!

And if we're at fapanese games, Xenogears is very good.

Tigranes

Arcane
Mask of the Betrayer without question.

Adventure games are worth a try. I'm not the best person to recommend but I recently appreciated Sanitarium and Grim Fandango.

Ovg

Cipher
Dragon Age
Dragon Age II
Skyrim
Ethnic Cleansing
:troll:

Gothic? Gothic 2? Nothing super special, but solid writing and some nice characters.
Everything else mentioned above too.

chubs

Novice
It's an action game, but I'd give Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver a try if you're looking for a good story.

Gregz

Arcane
So I guess I'm finally breaking my fear of actually starting a thread here......

I'm going to be so killed.

Well back to the topic at hand. While I've played many of the liked games here like Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, VTM:B and such I've got some free time and looking for games that have solid stories to go through as well. Before someone says read a book - I read a lot but sometimes a change in medium and different ways of telling stories is interesting.

So I ask, what are the games you would recommend for their story?

I'm 80% combat fag, so here's my take on games with good combat and story:

The original Wasteland is combat heavy, but has a pretty cool story that unfolds with the gameplay. Fallout 1 & 2 and Deus Ex are also good for story emerging through gameplay.

Lockkaliber

Magister
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
If we are allowed to go into consoletard territory, Vagrant Story and Tactics Ogre: Let us cling together has decent stories and great atmosphere. Other than that, Mask of the Betrayer and KotOR 2 for sure.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Game of Thrones RPG is very underrated. The gameplay's not the best, but it has a surprisingly good plot and main characters. Especially if you are fan of the TV show or books.

Otherwise:

The Witcher
The Witcher 2
Geneforge 1-5 (especially 4 and 5)
KOTOR 2

Amn Nom

Learned
CRPG:
-Mask of the Betrayer
-Alpha Protocol
-New Vegas

JRPG:
-Xenogears/Xenosaga
-Tactics Ogre
-Final Fantasy Tactics

That particular space is pretty starved because most RPGs either have a crappy story, or just focus on the characters instead of on them and the story.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Not sure what to recommend... your tastes are a tad off, really. Torment is a pretty dreadful game, but at any rate you should try out Nethergate.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Torment is a pretty dreadful game
Heresy!
:mob:

Hah, I'm not trying to get anyone too upset about it. An honest review of Torment has to acknowledge that the game is thoroughly mediocre, from it's clunky UI and gameplay to its immature plotline and setting. Torment seems to be written by melodramatic children who tried to achieve something far beyond their ability and experience.

It wasn't the worst game I've ever played, and if they do finish a remake I will at least watch a youtube video of it, but that's about as far as I can go. Playing the game is like watching a fourteen year old try to wear an ill-fitting suit. I left my teenage years far behind me and have no real desire to go back, let the game die already.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
Agesilaus said:
immature plotline and setting

Leading-Edge-award-trophy-crop.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom