Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Asking for a favor from the Hivemind

Athelas

Arcane
1)Just like VtmB didn't receive any praise because back in 2004 everyone thought that a new baldur's gate was going to come out every year and that RPGs were still alive.
You might be on the wrong forum. Baldur's Gate generally isn't seen as the be-all end end-all of RPG's here (often quite the opposite).

This incessent praise for Divinity, my god. Imagine Divinity coming out in 2000 with appropriate graphics for those days. It would've been just another mediocre-shit rpg that people would hardly notice. It would have had zero impact and would've been forgotten a few months later. It would've had nothing on Nox, and Nox is now basically forgotten. See where it leaves Divinity?
One of these is real-time and the other is turn-based. That should tell you all about their reception. And I don't remember Nox being particularly good or anything.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
I've never played Arcanum. How good is it really?
You need to be patient with the combat.

The game is super duper amazing. The world and the setting is immaculate. The hypothetical mechanics is actually great (magic vs tech). The skills are alluring. But the implementation of that in practice is not good. I feel that it is so due to the fact they tried to cater to both RTwP and TB audience. If the game was purely designed from TB combat in mind it would be the best game ever.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Let's see that quote again.

Hard counters are tactical, actually. They require you to acknowledge that you need to counter something, and then you have to counter it via whichever method. That is tactics. Sometimes they can be implemented poorly and there is always a best way of dealing with something, and it is always better if there is more than one way to handle a situation.

I don't overly care that there are no hard counters in Pillars of Eternity, but the lack of them and the current implementations has certain negative effects on the gameplay compared to IE using them.

Josh said:
Save or die effects are really easy to abuse offensively (as a player) and they require either luck or hard counters to defend against as a player -- neither of which are very interesting, tactically.
Hard counters in a single-player RPG are obnoxious, IMO because either you're prepped for them or you aren't. If you aren't, you reload and voila, you are. If you prepared save-or-die tactic that the enemy is immune to, you're hard countered through no fault of your own. If not, you steamroll the enemy. Or you do what many players do, which is reload until the primary target fails its save and the entire tactical challenge of the fight is rendered trivial/pointless.
I believe this does make the game better. It's not second-guessing; it's simple observation. If players can use save-or-die effects against an enemy as a tactic that has a 10% chance of success, many would rather reload repeatedly until the target drops than develop adaptive tactics to deal with the specific threats posed by the enemy. Why should a player bother attempting to adapt when they have a big hammer with a 10% chance of ending the fight each time it's swung? We give them the tools. But we don't have to include save-or-die effects, and the game isn't made worse by doing so, IMO. Luck is an element of conflict resolution, but the larger element in A/D&D as levels rise is, of course, BONUSES. In 3E/3.5, saves progress in such a way that at higher levels, many classes have virtually no hope of making saves against their weak save categories and it can be extremely difficult to shore up against the numerical disadvantage. When the effect is a save-or-die (or equivalent), it can immediately remove the character from combat. If the saves are hopelessly improbable, the solution becomes a hard counter (like Death Ward) which typically relies on post-reload metagaming to make the deadly effect completely impotent. Even in tabletop, where reload is not an option, the virtual absence of save-or-die effects from 4E was never missed by our gaming groups in over 2 years of play and two different campaigns (albeit one much longer than the other).

Sawyer has spoken, thus it is so.

Sensuki quote here talks about hard counters. Sawyer quote here talks about save-or-die effects most of all, only mentioning hard counters in relation to those. So yeah your quotation is totally off the mark, it's not relevant here at all.

I haven't really seen anyone clamor to bring save-or-die effects back actually. I'm sure someone has, but it's a very small minority compared to the people wishing for more tactical hard counters.

Are you blind? But fine here is a slightly more relevant quote:

Josh said:
Combat scenarios that build around hard counters turn into puzzles for which there are not good solutions if you don't have the hard counters prepped (assuming you have access to that hard counter at all)

Puzzles are not tactics.

Classic Roguey not reading what people are saying and just pasting a Sawyer quote. Obviously since not having played the beta, has no idea what I'm talking about.
You've spent hours/days of your life playing a beta you don't and likely won't ever enjoy, and to paraphrase a hot meme, you're doing it for free. Who's the sucker in this situation?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
The game will probably be alright with mods. The more shit that I get into the game via feedback, the less I have to change myself.

Johannes

Arcane
Let's see that quote again.

Hard counters are tactical, actually. They require you to acknowledge that you need to counter something, and then you have to counter it via whichever method. That is tactics. Sometimes they can be implemented poorly and there is always a best way of dealing with something, and it is always better if there is more than one way to handle a situation.

I don't overly care that there are no hard counters in Pillars of Eternity, but the lack of them and the current implementations has certain negative effects on the gameplay compared to IE using them.

Josh said:
Save or die effects are really easy to abuse offensively (as a player) and they require either luck or hard counters to defend against as a player -- neither of which are very interesting, tactically.
Hard counters in a single-player RPG are obnoxious, IMO because either you're prepped for them or you aren't. If you aren't, you reload and voila, you are. If you prepared save-or-die tactic that the enemy is immune to, you're hard countered through no fault of your own. If not, you steamroll the enemy. Or you do what many players do, which is reload until the primary target fails its save and the entire tactical challenge of the fight is rendered trivial/pointless.
I believe this does make the game better. It's not second-guessing; it's simple observation. If players can use save-or-die effects against an enemy as a tactic that has a 10% chance of success, many would rather reload repeatedly until the target drops than develop adaptive tactics to deal with the specific threats posed by the enemy. Why should a player bother attempting to adapt when they have a big hammer with a 10% chance of ending the fight each time it's swung? We give them the tools. But we don't have to include save-or-die effects, and the game isn't made worse by doing so, IMO. Luck is an element of conflict resolution, but the larger element in A/D&D as levels rise is, of course, BONUSES. In 3E/3.5, saves progress in such a way that at higher levels, many classes have virtually no hope of making saves against their weak save categories and it can be extremely difficult to shore up against the numerical disadvantage. When the effect is a save-or-die (or equivalent), it can immediately remove the character from combat. If the saves are hopelessly improbable, the solution becomes a hard counter (like Death Ward) which typically relies on post-reload metagaming to make the deadly effect completely impotent. Even in tabletop, where reload is not an option, the virtual absence of save-or-die effects from 4E was never missed by our gaming groups in over 2 years of play and two different campaigns (albeit one much longer than the other).

Sawyer has spoken, thus it is so.

Sensuki quote here talks about hard counters. Sawyer quote here talks about save-or-die effects most of all, only mentioning hard counters in relation to those. So yeah your quotation is totally off the mark, it's not relevant here at all.

I haven't really seen anyone clamor to bring save-or-die effects back actually. I'm sure someone has, but it's a very small minority compared to the people wishing for more tactical hard counters.

Are you blind? But fine here is a slightly more relevant quote:

Josh said:
Combat scenarios that build around hard counters turn into puzzles for which there are not good solutions if you don't have the hard counters prepped (assuming you have access to that hard counter at all)

Puzzles are not tactics.
That is a relevant quote unlike the first one. Alas, he is pretty wrong - just look at D&D / IE combat. Full of hard counters yet not puzzle-like by any means - there's so much variety in the different counters that a diverse party of sufficient level does not auto-lose to anything, and there's no fight that'd only have a single correct approach to it.

Making shit blander doesn't make it more tactical, this is insanity.

Athelas

Arcane
I'm not sure why people even call the mage duels puzzles. Unless reading the spell description suddenly qualifies as solving a puzzle.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Those good old days when people attempted things, knowing they can't bring you perfection. The lost knowledge now it seems. It's so good that they're not attempting anything anymore, such improvement.

Larian attempted. They had over 3 years to do it - just like Bioware did when they made Baldur's Gate. Lucky them.

It may be that ultimately, a lot of the issues people have with games like Wasteland 2 and Pillars of Eternity are the inevitable result of demanding 4-year development cycle results from 2.5-year development cycle games

1) The programming part of making games is much less time consuming than it used to be. Maybe not twice less consuming, but 1.5 times - certainly. The rest can be outsourced to professionals to speed things up too. And there you have it - 2 years instead of 3. Pillars of Eternity development - 2 years and a half. And no stealing??? That's a clear DECLINE to me.

2) This incessent praise for Divinity, my god. Imagine Divinity coming out in 2000 with appropriate graphics for those days. It would've been just another mediocre-shit rpg that people would hardly notice. It would have had zero impact and would've been forgotten a few months later. It would've had nothing on Nox, and Nox is now basically forgotten. See where it leaves Divinity?
Of course now when RPGs are inexistent, Divinity receives praise. Just like VtmB didn't receive any praise because back in 2004 everyone thought that a new baldur's gate was going to come out every year and that RPGs were still alive. As far as I'm concerned, Divinity is mediocre shit and can't be used as an example of something good. I rate it like this because I don't have problems with memory and can still remember what good games are supposed to do to you.

Nox :lol:

How the hell do these people find their way to the Codex?

Weasel
I think the story/world/background, is rich and deep. The writers are doing a great job with the dialog - and to me, the combat is more fun than IE.

jhc2FQ8.jpg

GordonHalfman

Scholar
Josh should be annakin surely? "The one who will bring the balance" and all that.

gif possibilities include:

-Josh killing younglings with codex troll heads saying things like "muh immersion" or "such balance" as they die
-Josh choking Padme with the PoE logo replacing her head
-Feargus as emperor telling Darth Josh his next project will be based on D&D rules leading to "Nooooooooooo" etc
-Avellone/Obi Wan asking Fargo/Yoda for permission to train young Sawyer, Fargo says "know anything about mobile games do you?"

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That is a relevant quote unlike the first one. Alas, he is pretty wrong - just look at D&D / IE combat. Full of hard counters yet not puzzle-like by any means - there's so much variety in the different counters that a diverse party of sufficient level does not auto-lose to anything, and there's no fight that'd only have a single correct approach to it.

Not my experience.

Making shit blander doesn't make it more tactical, this is insanity.

Here's a question for you: what kind of hard counters do you want that were also present in BG? Because I double-checked the list of spells and all I found was pointless silence/vocalize crap and nonsense like protection from petrification that turned basilisks into trash mobs.

I'm pretty sure it also had enemies that needed magic weapons to be hit, but anyone who would want that 2nd edition garbage back is utterly fucking stupid so.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You also had non-magical equipment for all of about 5 hours in BG for the entire series.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I've never played Arcanum. How good is it really?
I hated it when I first played it, but if you "think correctly" it becomes quite a bit more fun (ie. spell selection with regards to the Black Mountain area).

Seaking4

Learned
Josh should be annakin surely? "The one who will bring the balance" and all that.

gif possibilities include:

-Josh killing younglings with codex troll heads saying things like "muh immersion" or "such balance" as they die
-Josh choking Padme with the PoE logo replacing her head
-Feargus as emperor telling Darth Josh his next project will be based on D&D rules leading to "Nooooooooooo" etc
-Avellone/Obi Wan asking Fargo/Yoda for permission to train young Sawyer, Fargo says "know anything about mobile games do you?"

Is Josh an immersion guy? He seems like a 'gamey' is better than realism person.

Johannes

Arcane
Here's a question for you: what kind of hard counters do you want that were also present in BG?
What does BG have? At least:

(Improved) Invisibility vs. detection spells/skills
Various spell protections (Globe of Invulnerability, Spell Trap, ...) vs. various spell protection removal spells (Ruby Ray, Spell Thrust, Secret Word...)
Protection from Magic Weapons / Normal Weapons / Fire / Cold / Acid / Electricity / Magic Energy, Mantle, Improved Mantle, Absolute Immunity, Chaotic Commands, Resist Fear, Free Action, ... vs. relevant effect - then Breach against said spells.
Or Dispel Magic against any of above.

Cutting down the amount of these various damage- and effect types would be sensible, different elements were not that different in IE.

Kinda puzzled how badly people here of all places understand how IE (or BG2 mostly) combat works, tbh

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom