Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ArmA 2

baronjohn

Cipher
Tycn said:
I get 20-30 FPS on the more intensive missions with a Q6600 at 2.85. By far the most taxing game I've tried though it's quite playable at those framerates. Haven't gotten around to finding a decent local server yet.
The ArmA 2 engine is a serious piece of unoptimized shit.

MetalCraze

Arcane
baronjohn said:

Because it requires a faster processor to calculate a few hundreds of AIs on 200 sq. km as opposed to CoD's Quake 3 iteration which has 5-10 AIs at once at best in a small corridor?

The horror

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
Suchy said:
Awor Szurkrarz said:
Fucking awesome game. It's the OFP of 1993.
Funny thing, I remember missing some of the features of ST when playing OFP.

I played the abandonware version for a moment and bought a full version on eBay. Too bad that there wasn't any first edition available.

baronjohn said:
Tycn said:
I get 20-30 FPS on the more intensive missions with a Q6600 at 2.85. By far the most taxing game I've tried though it's quite playable at those framerates. Haven't gotten around to finding a decent local server yet.
You have successfully added baronjohn to your ignore list.

Return to the post

baronjohn

Cipher
Awor Szurkrarz said:
baronjohn said:
Tycn said:
You have successfully added baronjohn to your ignore list.

Return to the post
Like a true fanatic, you censor anything that disagrees with your beliefs :salute:

MetalCraze

Arcane
cwr2_teaser_070411_4.jpg

cwr2_teaser_110411_4.jpg

:M

Von Paulus

Educated
It looks great. They are doing a poll in ArmA's forum for CWR2, if you want them to release the mod only when fully finished or just releasing it sooner and updating.
It will be great to play the original OFP campaign with ArmA 2 engine.

By the way what sound mods do you advise.

Von Paulus

Educated
Admiral jimbob said:
That mod will probably convince me to buy ArmA 2 at last. Any ETA at all?
Not yet. Most people in the poll as voted for releasing only when fully finished, so....
BIS give them authorization for them to use the real OFP voice sounds. Great.

The Wizard

Educated
MetalCraze said:
The Wizard said:
athlon x2 6000+
Still the game plays best on quad cores or better (supports up to 8 cores)
i haven't been up to date with processors since early 2000.

with a quick glance(http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-ASUS/M2A-VM.html) at quad cores i see that my motherboard would be compatible with the phenom x4 945 and the athlon 2 x4 640.

so, which one do i get?

MetalCraze

Arcane
Go for Phenom II, it's cheap too now. Has more cache. Won't f.e. make the first campaign mission run ideally but will increase its FPS two times.

Admiral jimbob said:

With any luck maybe by the end of the year.

Just hope they stick this time to remaking the PC version. The big problem with CWR1 for ArmA1 was that it was a remake of OFP: Elite's CWC meaning some missions were shorter, had a different ending (like f.e. Ambush - in Xbox port you actually destroy those incoming tanks, not run away in panic pissing your pants) or had a lesser scale.

I remember they said they had to stick to OFP: Elite because if they were doing original, PC missions they wouldn't have half of the voice-overs. But now that they say they got the permission maybe it will be a needed incline finally.

Von Paulus said:
By the way what sound mods do you advise.
Was using CSM2, but then JSRS came around and it's superior. However not as superior as its upcoming 1.3 version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxW4o1Np ... re=related

Skip to the middle, ignore the retarded ENBSeries DLL's bloom he uses for some reason in the video and enjoy the eargasm

BIS give them authorization for them to use the real OFP voice sounds. Great.
Hope that means they will use VOs for unit-talk too. OFP isn't OFP without its dirty, distorted, robotic "ONE... MOVE TO... TREE... ELEVEN O' CLOCK!!!"

Go for Phenom II. Has more cache. Won't f.e. make the first campaign mission run ideally but will increase its FPS two times.

Von Paulus

Educated
MetalCraze said:
Just hope they stick this time to remaking the PC version. The big problem with CWR1 for ArmA1 was that it was a remake of OFP: Elite's CWC meaning some missions were shorter, had a different ending (like f.e. Ambush - in Xbox port you actually destroy those incoming tanks, not run away in panic pissing your pants) or had a lesser scale.
I remember they said they had to stick to OFP: Elite because if they were doing original, PC missions they wouldn't have half of the voice-overs. But now that they say they got the permission maybe it will be a needed incline finally.
W0lle the project team leader:
Yes, all missions are used from the PC version now. Xbox missions are only used when they were not included in the PC one, like that Seize the base mission on Nogova which was Xbox exclusive.

MetalCraze said:
Was using CSM2, but then JSRS came around and it's superior. However not as superior as its upcoming 1.3 version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxW4o1Np ... re=related

Skip to the middle, ignore the retarded ENBSeries DLL's bloom he uses for some reason in the video and enjoy the eargasm
Thanks. I'd to put my dark glasses with that crazy bloom, but 1.3 mod is sounding really great. I've been using Jarhead sound mod for some time, and indeed it seems the best.

MetalCraze said:
Hope that means they will use VOs for unit-talk too. OFP isn't OFP without its dirty, distorted, robotic "ONE... MOVE TO... TREE... ELEVEN O' CLOCK!!!"
:lol:
W0lle:
I meant only the original english radio and chat sound files of course, not the weapon sounds.

Most weapon and vehicle sounds are donated by the ACE2 Mod.
If LordJarhead wants to make a replacement Mod (though I don't think it's necessary) we provide him the needed information of course.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Benn holding out on this buggy piece of shit after getting burned on ArmA but witch CWC2 and lengthy exposure of Arma II(which helps with mod support), compared to how quickly Arma was abandoned compared to OFP, I probably will buy the bargain bin 'gold' version of this in when it's released in a year or so.

Lunac

Arcane
I don't see the attraction. Got the first one. Unplayable. Got it for cheap so I didn't even bother getting a refund. Got the second one in demo version, playable... barely.

I was never part of the crowd that slept with Jane's manuals and guides under their pillows. With that said, I got enough imagination and patience like the next guy, but this game is crap. It doesn't know which genre to focus on. It tries to be a little of everything, like that $200mil summer blockbuster, where an ex-Navy SEAL soccer-mom single handedly fights of armies of terrorists, in animated form, done without violence, with plenty of laughs, and voiced over by Rob Zombie, vice prez Biden, Jerry Seinfeld, and Lady Gaga.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
OK, am I hallucinating or did BIS just release a patch for ArmA 1... with the exact same patch number as the last patch they released 2 years ago? :?

MetalCraze

Arcane
That was 1.18RC that had to be used as an addon to 1.14

Basically they've been smashing whatever remaining bugs were reported in the past 2 years and now finally released the final version because they were constantly asked to do so (also because half of the servers were using 1.14 and half 1.18RC so it was annoying)

Good thing is that this means they won't be abandoning superior ArmA2 for a long time

It doesn't know which genre to focus on

It always was infantry focused. Obviously you can't have a modern battlefield with nothing but infantry so vehicles were added to fill that hole.

Hoping that every single vehicle in the game will be realistic is unrealistic. There's a reason why Jane's games focused on a single type of vehicles at a time eh?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
MetalCraze said:
baronjohn said:

Because it requires a faster processor to calculate a few hundreds of AIs on 200 sq. km as opposed to CoD's Quake 3 iteration which has 5-10 AIs at once at best in a small corridor?

The horror
how many dongs can fit in his mouth at once

Data4

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
MetalCraze said:
baronjohn said:

The horror
how many dongs can fit in his mouth at once

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
Von Paulus said:
Admiral jimbob said:
Not yet. Most people in the poll as voted for releasing only when fully finished, so....
...never

K, copy that.

baronjohn

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
Obviously you can't have a modern battlefield with nothing but infantry so vehicles were added to fill that hole.
As if ArmA 2 is somehow realistic with vehicles included. Realism would be if you played an american fatass controlling a drone and blowing up random arab villages.

MetalCraze

Arcane
But you can play an american controlling a drone and blowing up random arab villages in ArmA2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom