Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

ArmA 2

baronjohn

Cipher
How do you hit anything in AmrA2 anyway? Everything glitches around constantly because of the shitty network code

MetalCraze

Arcane
Destroid said:
Only noobs TK a lot in such games. Try playing Insurgency mod for source and you will be TKing left and right for your first few games, but you adjust pretty quick.

Then again only noobs and russians play public PvP.

Flanged

Scholar
Is there a mod or a patch to make the singleplayer playable yet? The levels of pop-in and pop-up are simply unacceptable in a game where you have to be constantly alert to every aspect of your surroundings and react instantly to any threat. That becomes impossible if the things you're looking at take longer to load (and resolve themselves into their real appearance) than it takes a NPC to headshot you from behind a bush that is still in it's LOD stage, and thus as big and visually solid as a fucking tank.

Loved the original OFP, and have no problems with fighting over long ranges, getting killed a lot, or having to crawl on my belly for twenty minutes to line up a good shot. But Arma2 is unplayable. My comp can handle the graphics, but the game's engine can't.

Paid full price for it too.

The way it goes black and white and shows you fuck-all when you die is shit as well. Any mods that just move you to third person on death, without any black and white or screen-obscuring "You Are Dead" shit? I know I'm fucking dead - let me see who killed me, or what's happening on the battlefield now.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Is there a mod or a patch to make the singleplayer playable yet? The levels of pop-in and pop-up are simply unacceptable in a game where you have to be constantly alert to every aspect of your surroundings and react instantly to any threat. That becomes impossible if the things you're looking at take longer to load (and resolve themselves into their real appearance) than it takes a NPC to headshot you from behind a bush that is still in it's LOD stage, and thus as big and visually solid as a fucking tank.

The LOD switching issues were fixed like in 1st or 2nd patch back in '09

The way it goes black and white and shows you fuck-all when you die is shit as well. Any mods that just move you to third person on death, without any black and white or screen-obscuring "You Are Dead" shit? I know I'm fucking dead - let me see who killed me, or what's happening on the battlefield now.

Eh? When you die the screen stays empty, it just has a red bleeding effect over it but the camera immediately moves to show who killed you.
But I kinda miss war commanders' quotes from OFP/ArmA1

Flanged

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
Is there a mod or a patch to make the singleplayer playable yet? The levels of pop-in and pop-up are simply unacceptable

The LOD switching issues were fixed like in 1st or 2nd patch back in '09

Not for me, sadly. I was on patch 1.56 I think, and had rolled back my card drivers to older versions and all that, when I eventually just gave up. Probably a Vista 64 thing. Once I get XP back on this rig I'll try again. I wanted to love it.

MetalCraze said:
Eh? When you die the screen stays empty, it just has a red bleeding effect over it but the camera immediately moves to show who killed you.
But I kinda miss war commanders' quotes from OFP/ArmA1

The quotes were great. Wish they'd kept those. The bleeding effect over the camera always seems to obscure everything for me (sure it goes black and white, or washed out, as well) and I don't get any real feedback on who just schooled me, or from where - camera always seems to end up pointed at a patch of grass at the base of a tree. This is in singleplayer. I know you can go seagull-cam in multi. Wouldn't mind a seagull-cam mod after singleplayer death, come to think of it, since it's good to watch the AI attacking and countering each other without having a dog in the fight.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Flanged said:
Not for me, sadly. I was on patch 1.56 I think, and had rolled back my card drivers to older versions and all that, when I eventually just gave up. Probably a Vista 64 thing. Once I get XP back on this rig I'll try again. I wanted to love it.

This also may be due to incorrect memory detection on videocards with non-standard amounts of memory (like 768 MBs or 896 MBs) if you have one (I have one). Or have another one which is just unlucky to catch this bug. This was fixed in one of first 1.59 betas.

Alternatively you should try setting video memory to either Default or V. High. At V.High everything was OK for me then after 1.57 I started getting crappy texture detail switching so I set it to Default and everything was back to normal again. It may be vice versa for you.

Stable 1.59 patch comes out on 1st of April so you should try it. And the improvements they did to AI are great. I was trying a single player mission some two days ago and AI quite competently moves through area, covering each other's back, taking cover when in combat (this also depends on skill of soldiers - f.e. low-trained insurgents will be running around more chaoticly). In fact in 1.59 you will be able to tell AI where to take cover as well and together with the ability to tell it what to watch SP gets more tactical (this already works in beta)

Here's the video of an upcoming AI mod based around new improvements:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcuRN8OcTbs

The quotes were great. Wish they'd kept those. The bleeding effect over the camera always seems to obscure everything for me
I agree. In OFP/AA1 this was teaching to watch the sector you didn't watch for some reason.
Although in AA2 the camera sometimes tends to switch to the first person view through the guy-who-killed-you's eyes. And if you can see through bleeding effect you actually do get a good overview of what happened.

Also if the camera ends up watching a patch of grass this may usually mean that the enemy is either lying down there or he was just killed by your team mates.

Flanged

Scholar
MetalCraze said:
Stable 1.59 patch comes out on 1st of April so you should try it.

Ah, BIStudios and their April Fool's jokes! I will try it, though, been meaning to reinstall for a while to try out newer mods. Play through vanilla first, of course - couldn't complete the main campaign or Eagle Wing last time round because of the issues I was having with it.

MetalCraze said:
And the improvements they did to AI are great. I was trying a single player mission some two days ago and AI quite competently moves through area, covering each other's back, taking cover when in combat (this also depends on skill of soldiers - f.e. low-trained insurgents will be running around more chaoticly). In fact in 1.59 you will be able to tell AI where to take cover as well and together with the ability to tell it what to watch SP gets more tactical (this already works in beta)

Here's the video of an upcoming AI mod based around new improvements:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcuRN8OcTbs

Looks and sounds great, I thought the AI was pretty sharp already but improvements are always welcome. Glad I'll be able to set their lookout directions now. Never had much problem with them choosing their own cover, but I like to micromanage them a lot if I'm setting up an ambush, so that's good.

Also if the camera ends up watching a patch of grass this may usually mean that the enemy is either lying down there or he was just killed by your team mates.

Sometimes I thought he'd killed me and moved on, since the enemy do a great job of keeping mobile (better than I do) and the camera was just looking at where he used to be.

The Wizard

Educated
i think the game is too hardcore for me(at least being in command is), and my pc.

it's a shame, because i really want to get into it, but i'm afraid i'll waste 30 bucks(right now playing "acquired" version of standalone AO) because my pc could shit itself any minute now.

MetalCraze said:
and have a high tolerance for newcomers, know them since OFP.

fake edit: how much of a tolerance are we talking about here?

real edit: is the mouse lag intentional, or is it just my beat up pc?

baronjohn

Cipher
MetalCraze said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UeoRGj1uow

Here's a video just to show the work on AI BIS did in 1.59 (plus some must have mods)

Maybe when CWR2 will come out I'll finally enjoy leading AI squads in original OFP missions (I definitely enjoy leading them in AA2 now)
Does the AI still see through meter-high grass when prone?

MetalCraze

Arcane
The Wizard said:
fake edit: how much of a tolerance are we talking about here?
If you are being led by a squad leader (anyone can volunteer to lead there btw) just follow his orders and that's all you need to do (and don't run around like it's some BF2 PvP match). They don't care if you suck at killing enemies or firing rockets

real edit: is the mouse lag intentional, or is it just my beat up pc?
If by mouse lag you mean the slight inertia from turning your body (or moving your weapon around if you don't have it stuck to the center of the screen) then it's intentional, it's to give the body some weight.

If you mean stuff like slow moving cursor in menus/map and so on - then yeah, you probably have a low FPS, but you would notice that anyway

baronjohn said:
Does the AI still see through meter-high grass when prone?

No. I sometimes saw situations when AI was prone in the meter-high grass and the enemy was moving some 10m in front of AI and it couldn't see the enemy.

Suchy

Arcane
Hey Skyway, if you're not on WinXP, what are you using for speech recognition? Pilfius doesn't work in Win7. I tried VAC, but while the recognition is pretty accurate, the reaction time is terribly slow. Is Shoot any good?

The Wizard

Educated
just tested my frames in hike in the hills, getting between 25 and 40. jumping to 50-60 when pausing. considering it's a tiny skirmish that's pretty bad. but i guess calculating ai won't be a large issue in online play?

btw, best thread ever material
Multi-player seems fine but still drops pretty low and glitchy most of the time. But the campaign mode is just unplayable for me. I even tried playing it at all low setting and still drops to 10 FPS most times. It's just crazy because OFP2 is right there with arma 2 in graphics imo and i run that game maxed out 1920x1200 AA at SLI 32Q and 16x AF and never drop below 70 FPS. Just tells you who really took the time to make the average PC gamer happy and it's not Bohemia.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWkbNboZwUg
i guess it has something to do with that. :D

MetalCraze

Arcane
The "Hike in the Hills" mission is one of the least resource hungry ones

What CPU do you have?

The game is very CPU hungry as it calculates all AIs present on the map at all times as it isn't player-centric (compared to other shooters which just spawn enemies for the player when he comes close, while they do nothing before that).

Online coops won't be as bad on your PC though as the first mission of the campaign (which has a lot of AIs, if you will try to launch it in coop or open it in the editor you will actually see that there are 4 missions going on in parallel). Not with CiA at least, they usually play small scale operations without AIs doing something in the background. Don't think it will be worse than Hike in the Hills anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWkbNboZwUg

The recent OFPRR video shows that nothing has been changed at all

Here it is: http://www.gametech.ru/cgi-bin/show.pl? ... s&id=19730

I especially enjoyed the bit where the dude couldn't hit the bot with a gun with a sniper optics from 30-40m away for eternity and the AI couldn't hit him in return. Comedy gold

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
SoupNazi said:
AlaCarcuss said:
MetalCraze said:
Public PvP is the weakest part of the game, Data4 so it doesn't matter
? Please explain.
He was addressing the post to Data4. The user. :lol: :M :retarded:

*facepalm*

lol, I thought it was a mod or something :oops:

Hmm, revisiting this thread makes me want to give ArmA II another shot. Purchased it near release but bugs forced a rage quit. Couldn't even complete the tutorial. Downloading the latest patches and ACE2 now.

Suchy

Arcane
Be careful with ACE2, it's awesome but only useful in multiplayer, SP missions can get unplayable.

MetalCraze

Arcane
I'm playing ArmA2 with nothing but ACE2 now.

It's quite compatible with nonACE SP as it's modular. Meaning many of its features are disabled unless a mission maker put modules dedicated to them in there.

However you will still get advanced stuff like improved weapons, rocket ballistics, AI etc.

However features that ACE2 provides are awesome. Try to play with them whenever possible. What's better is that AI is able to use many of them as well.

The Wizard said:
athlon x2 6000+

Yep. That's gonna be quite a problem when having a large scale op.

However I was able to play small ops with x2 5200+

Still the game plays best on quad cores or better (supports up to 8 cores)

Rhalle

Magister
This is one of the few games I wish I could play; it looks like a pretty cool PC team/tactical shooter.

But my computer simply isn't up to it.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Rhalle said:
This is one of the few games I wish I could play; it looks like a pretty cool PC team/tactical shooter.

But my computer simply isn't up to it.

Have you tried OFP or ArmA1 (hint: in OFP serial number check is broken so non removed versions work online too)?

ArmA2 has a superior gameplay and AI, but those games are good too (OFP has the best SP campaign though out of all 3) and are still played online (even though in OFP's case finding a server to play is hard - it's nearly 10 years old now but CiA plays OFP coops every wednesdays with WGL which is the same thing as ACE mod). The editor in OFP and ArmA is just as powerful so you can quickly throw together some mission if you just want to play it with your friends (the one in the video I posted I threw together in like 5 minutes)

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/260/SEAL+Team.html

The description reminds me of something

Tycn

Savant
I get 20-30 FPS on the more intensive missions with a Q6600 at 2.85. By far the most taxing game I've tried though it's quite playable at those framerates. Haven't gotten around to finding a decent local server yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom