Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are you going to play Starfield?

Are you going to play Starfield?

• Total voters

Gargaune

Magister
Of course. And I'll probably like it.

Also, Late Bloomer, there's a typo in your poll, the "No" option should read "Yes, but I'm going to lie about it."

430am

Educated
I don't even know anything about it. I saw five seconds of cinematic "gameplay" somewhere and it looked like absolute shit and had garbage mechanics like the minimap. Considering that for these kinds of productions looks are everything I can only imagine what the game itself is like.

Kruyurk

Learned
No. I will sail the stars for real next year in Factorio: Space Age.

N'wah

Literate
I will since it's on game pass, unless the early access reviews are very bad. Expectations are low however - it seems they had aspirations for a big epic space sim but ran into trouble with the engine (no vehicles, no mechs despite power armor in Fallout 4, Mass Effect style custscenes for landing on and departing from planets). The IP itself looks bland - not much punk in "NASA Punk", and I'd wager it will have as much success as a new franchise as Anthem did.

Commerically it will do well - getting bankrolled by Microsoft helps with that too. But will it have been worth having a 17 year gap between mainline Elder Scrolls games? I doubt it.

Goldschmidt

Learned
but also more exotic such as time dilation at high speeds.
BUAHUHAHUAHAHAIAHAAHAHA.

Prime example of how secret freemasonic toplayer + elite jewish banking families, through psyop CIA program, have brainwashed most people out of their common sense. The real physics is being done in secret military facilities. Everything theoretical promoted after WW 2 is mostly psyops.

Last edited:

Hace El Oso

Arcane
Patron
What is hard scifi about it? Honest question since I haven't been following it very closely, but I got the opposite impression. The little scifi I've liked has been hard scifi, but Starfield looked like space fantasy to me whenever I've paid attention to it.

The worst was when they showed off a few planets at one point and they barely looked alien to me, and were disappointingly unspectacular compared to how exotic and incredible real exoplanets are. Didn't look like places that would believably exist. The skies looked bland and Earth-like, and none of the alien life looked convincing or like the differences were at the kingdom level like they should be. They looked like procedurally generated mishmashes of Earth life with sunflower heads and so on, like it was designed by children rather than anyone who knows their biology and evodevo.

I believe it also has quasi-FTL travel which is very disappointing. IIRC, it specifically has Star Trek fantasy warp drives, which are practically impossible and require unobtainium among having other issues. Not very hard scifi to me, but more than it stretching my suspension of disbelief, I'm personally just not a fan of those and think they make for lame scifi. In my opinion, if you can travel that easily in the universe the story may as well have been fantasy with planes, since to travel effectively FTL takes away what's most interesting and unique about space travel and the challenges it creates, both mundane in terms of logistics and whatnot, but also more exotic such as time dilation at high speeds.

Despite my impression, the other reason you said makes it tempting to give it a shot. Definitely looks like I'll have to turn off any expectations of it following science or focusing on scientific imagination to enjoy it, though. The best hard scifi is usually written by scientists, but Beth seems like they have less than high school science educations, and the game and its story doesn't look focused on science.

The general aesthetic of the game, what they call ‘NASA Punk’, is largely inspired by hard sci-fi. One of the only examples of it in recent film would be Moon:

moon_3m-5Zkd0cVj.jpg

e83cbd61-8c32-4fdb-a553-9f83012416e2_MEDIA.jpg

gavin-rothery-tts-harvester-23.jpg

Like I said, wearing the appearance. Of course there are fantastical or ‘speculative’ elements, but Heinlein used ‘Cherenkov Drive’ and ‘N-Space’ FTL to tell stories and they were still very respectable.

Add in the apparent lack of blue hair, side cuts, septum piercings and zoomer perms (I genuinely find those things unbearable) and I’m going to give it a shot.

Last edited:

thesecret1

Arcane
Sure, I'll pirate it, check out how much Beth bastardized their formula this time, then get my fun by shitting on it on the internet. Maybe return to it after 5 or so years after large overhaul or total conversion mods come out to see if there's anything to salvage.

check out how much Beth bastardized their formula this time
Is anyone expecting anything more than Fallout 4 in space? At least we don’t have a voiced protagonist this time. If the story doesn’t involve looking for your son/dad then we’re on pure incline.

Last edited:

Busyman

Novice
I was planning on it up until I saw the pronoun nonsense. Not to mention I lost some interest in Besthesda games after Fallout 4.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Very Futuristic games doesn't attract me. When is a "bit" futuristic like FNV and Cyberbug 2077, I can like, but when you can space travel at FTL speed, I just can't relate to the game universe.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I love sci-fi shooters and this looks like a sci-fi shooter, so i'll play it but most likely not anytime soon.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom