Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are there any RPGs that implemented skill improving by using, in a decent manner?

DraQ

Arcane
None of that prevents grinding, it just makes it a bit harder and possibly more tedious.
Really? If you run out of money when making your pots, or constantly have your stuff confiscated by the guards for trying to pinch some coins, then you'll probably avoid grinding such skills pointlessly and avoid using them unless you're good at them.

Also you have omitted the part about delayed consequences to mitigate savescumming.
You can have bad reputation (for messing with people's heads, provoking and killing them, selling them bad potions or stealing their stuff) follow you around making things progressively harder if you abuse the system too.

Finally, this is in addition to scaling skill gain with difficulty (meaning no gain on trivially easy or impossible), and slowing levelling of all skills on each subsequent skill gain to discourage grinding useless ones, which are my standard anti-grind measures.

Movement speed can still be handled meaningfully by attributes. Same with jumping and landing.
I agree, because attributes in TES use a point buy system which in general is a much better system when it comes to increasing non-combat skills.
I direct you here.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To become good in alchemy you'd still have to make thousands of potions, even though you'd actually only need a small portion of that during the whole game.

This could be partially if not completely mitigated if more games included some alchemist options that don't revolve around heals and buffs. LIberal use of homemade grenades, poisonous weapons, vials that release acid clouds, Hulk elixirs that turn you into a rampaging brute, homemade flamethrowers, truth elixir gas clouds for storyfags, smoke screens for sneaking, etc.

DraQ

Arcane
What about dropping a boulder on a wolf, luring a wolf to a pissed off mythical creature of some sort, making a wolf slip and fall down the cliff, distracting a wolf with a piece of meat, etc.?

You can't assign XP value to every possible interaction in a complex system. You can assign or calculate it for elementary options.

Actually all of those things can be generally scripted by giving xp for:

* monsters dying near you even if you didn't kill them directly(which makes sense, for example if you see someone use a jar of oil to create a slippery surface and a wolf slips and flies off a cliff, the character just learned something)
The side effect being enabling grinding via being a peeping tom.

* proper coding for lures (which should add some interesting non-combat options for ranger character types too, so the extra code would be worthwhile)
Doesn't matter, you can always extend causal chain.

More importantly, though, I fail to see what any of the above has to do with skill use vs xp. You'd need to add the additional coding for the solutions above in use based systems too, except you'd also have to determine what skills would go up as well, which may not always be obvious, whereas in an xp system you can just give xp and let the player choose what they want to do with it.
I wouldn't. Because use based systems don't concern themselves with abstract and highly circumstantial notion of experience awarded for participating in great events, doing quests and so on.
:smug:

mondblut

Arcane
The more I read that, the more I wonder, why do we need non-combat skills in the first place. All they do is demand to sacrifice a portion of combat power (i.e. skillpoints/xp that could be otherwise invested into combat skills) in order to unlock some part of content. "You can only open this door if you spent 2 skillpoints on some otherwise worthless shit rather than your mace skill." "You can only receive that quest if you spent 2 skillpoints on some otherwise worthless shit rather than your fire magic skill."

Do we actually need that?

DraQ

Arcane
The more I read that, the more I wonder, why do we need non-combat skills in the first place. All they do is demand to sacrifice a portion of combat power (i.e. skillpoints/xp that could be otherwise invested into combat skills) in order to unlock some part of content. "You can only open this door if you spent 2 skillpoints on some otherwise worthless shit rather than your mace skill." "You can only receive that quest if you spent 2 skillpoints on some otherwise worthless shit rather than your fire magic skill."

mondblut still doesn't get it.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
The side effect being enabling grinding via being a peeping tom.

I don't have a hard-on for banishing grinding. I honestly don't give a fuck. People train repetitive tasks by doing them over and over in real life too. I spent a bit of time grinding deathclaws in fallout because I wanted a max level character. Who gives a shit? Plus, events like the ones described would likely be so rare that grinding this way would be pointless.

I wouldn't. Because use based systems don't concern themselves with abstract and highly circumstantial notion of experience awarded for participating in great events, doing quests and so on.

Thank you for admitting this has nothing to do with xp vs use based.

kaizoku

Arcane
I really need to become (more) prestigious and play Darklands. Will have to see if I can get it to run on Linux.

Some ideas I gathered from the thread:
- using time as an urgency, so that you're not tempted to spend all your time grinding
- as an implication, PC actions use time. For example, crafting a max level item for your PC level, takes 1 day. A normal battle takes 2 hours.
- diminishing XP for doing the same task
- consequences for failed attempts. For example combat would be slowly leaving permanent (impossible to heal) damage.

The big problem is balancing all of this!

kaizoku

Arcane
Dosbox is open source (so yeah, dosbox itself runs fine in linux), but I'll have to at least get wine (windows emulation) working, so I'm able to install the game from GOG exe installer.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Dosbox is open source (so yeah, dosbox itself runs fine in linux), but I'll have to at least get wine (windows emulation) working, so I'm able to install the game from GOG exe installer.

They don't have a damn Linux installer? hmmm well on second though that kind of make sense, so the stupid people don't try to install it and then RAGE heh

wormix

Augur
You'd think they could release a tool to extract the files from their .exe's at least, for 'expert' users.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Big problem with Morrowind and co (for me) was that you never gained anything from quests. Sure, you get items and gold and whatever, but you don't get anything that enhances your character or shows that they are progressing.

In TES, what should be a natural and logical way of developing your character becomes the exact opposite, so meta that it's ridiculous.

Both of these issues in TES could be solved by rewarding players with skill and skill-cap increase depending on how you solve a quest. Let's say you have to steal a key from that dunmer dude. You could try to beat up the guy and take it from him, getting a combat skill boost as a reward. Or talk him into giving it to you, thus raising speechcraft. Or slip sleeping pills/poison into his drink and raise alchemy. That way completing quests would act as a necessary tool to not only further story and get you gold, but also develop your character.

To avoid this system creating another meta of forcing players to finish quests in one particular way to get the skill they want, guild quests could be given as a much streamlined alternative for this purpose. So to become a master alchemist you could either work your ass of in the Mage guild or casually date rape people at your own pace. The important thing is that you spend hours exploring the world and doing quests instead of grinding mindlessly and avoiding the fun parts of the game.

mondblut

Arcane

Yep. I don't get it why having a gimped character is mandatory for access to optional content. It's like some kind of a silly reward. Hello, we have a special candy for cripples.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard

Yep. I don't get it why having a gimped character is mandatory for access to optional content. It's like some kind of a silly reward. Hello, we have a special candy for cripples.

Some people want non-combat content that should also follow RPG conventions. Though considering the shit way this is usually implemented I'd rather do without.

I can into abstraction. But there is little point in abstracting results of things you're doing explicitly in game.

There is also the big problem that if you get XP rewards from quests, then instead of taking quests at their value - how will they benefit you or what other reasons you may to do them, you start to think of them as "omg moar xp giev nao!". That's plain bad design and it encourages moronic behaviour on player's part:

-howdy stranger, could you travel to the dread caves of Murderkill and bring me a moderately sized sack of goblin testicles? I can't really reward you for this, despite the journey being perilous, supplies costly and goblins vicious, but I would be really grateful.

And the player responds with:
-OMG YES! I ALWAYS DREAMED OF GETTING REPEATEDLY STABBED WITH NUMEROUS RUSTY SPEARS IN ORDER TO SELFLESSLY HARVEST FILTHY GOBLIN BALLSACKS! SWEET XP - HERE I COME!

Unless you're playing a roguelike where going into a dangerous place is something you really have to sit down and think about, that's how players view quests anyway (people don't like to avoid content). The only reason players ponder whether they should do a quest or not is when it sounds boring.

Esterhaze

Augur
Prelude to Darkness did so masterfully: a levelless system combing use-based and xp based (though the xp points were hidden from the player, if I recall correctly). The flow of quest experience allowed you to develop in a manner of your choosing, such that you never felt you had to abuse the system to get the type of character you were looking for, but the use-based points were common enough that the skills you used the most would show significant growth. The balance was superb.

In fact, if there's ever a game that showed that you can have you cake and eat it too with regards to combining game systems, it was prelude to darkness. The party system also struck the perfect balance: three created characters was just enough to give the player a multitude of play style options, but was just small enough that one never felt they had the jack of all trades party. That you could recruit pre-created followers later was icing on the cake, and allowed for all the interactive advantages that recruited NPCs can give. Project Eternity could do far worse than copy and pasting this party system into there game. Combined with the combat system, and the well balanced set of skills, I think there are very few rpgs that can compete with the quality of PtD's system design.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Jagged Alliance 2 beats them all.

Time is not infinite. Now before some mondbluts point out to me raising of str and dex and agi by grinding over and over - this doesn't make the game that much easier at all and no if you're willing to spend an hour just grinding mercs like that, you're playing the wrong game.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Finally, this is in addition to scaling skill gain with difficulty (meaning no gain on trivially easy or impossible), and slowing levelling of all skills on each subsequent skill gain to discourage grinding useless ones, which are my standard anti-grind measures.
Yep, this should be mandatory. It's really hard to balance it properly unless you've got a fairly linear or restricted game world, though.

Really? If you run out of money when making your pots, or constantly have your stuff confiscated by the guards for trying to pinch some coins, then you'll probably avoid grinding such skills pointlessly and avoid using them unless you're good at them.
It'd probably prevent a low-level character from maxing out those skills early in the game, but it'd hardly be a problem for more experienced or wealthy characters (and everyone in TES is rich as fuck after a couple of hours). Also, you'd have to balance a skill like pickpocketing around the fact that it's mostly useful for inexperienced, piss-poor characters who cannot afford decent equipment otherwise. Introduce too hard a punishment for failure and you'd make the skill even less useful than it already is.

That being said, I think there are some non-combat skills that TES gets right: sneak (the sneaking, not the pickpocketing part), security/lockpicking and armorer/repair. Okay, sneak is partly a combat skill and can be easily exploited, but there's no real need for it because you can constantly use it in quests and increase it anyway. To increase security/lockpicking you'll have to find locked doors and containers, and to do that your best bet is to explore dungeons and do quests, even though you can try to pick every lock in Balmora if you really want to. Armorer/repair requires two different resources (broken equipment and repair hammers), and since you have to repair your stuff constantly anyway, there's no particular need for grinding. All of these skills tie neatly into the core gameplay and are used constantly, just like every skill should. I don't think you can fix pickpocketing by punishing the player more from failing at it. Instead, you should make it a skill that actually sees some regular use in quests and gives more benefits than it currently does (by making the economy harsher or rewarding the player for non-violent solutions, for example).

Bulba

Learned
Whatever restrictions you attempted, use based system is based on grtinding end of story.
Draq restrictions sounds mad through. Delayed consequence is just nasty, also how do you know what effect potions will have that you found and then sold? or a sword? you want to create a system where you offloaded your loot in a location and never come back in fear of prosecution?:retarded:
Why do you want to create a system by use and then prevent player from using? and your idia about increasing cost of new skills should be banned and you put on a stake for creating retardation. how crap was in shitblivion to prevent yourself from using some skills in fear that they might increase?

DraQ

Arcane
Unless you're playing a roguelike where going into a dangerous place is something you really have to sit down and think about, that's how players view quests anyway (people don't like to avoid content). The only reason players ponder whether they should do a quest or not is when it sounds boring.
And that's the problem here. In a well designed system any decision should cut you off from content and quests should have multiple, mutually exclusive entry points. For example you could have a quest involving people being duped into some shit and kidnapped. You could start it by hearing the rumours and investigating, getting hired by local authority, stumbling upon kidnappers hideout or getting duped yourself and waking bound and butt-naked in a cell in some dungeon.
That way you could spend time wondering about cost/benefit in character rather than masturbating to content.

Whatever restrictions you attempted, use based system is based on grtinding end of story.
And XP based is based on either scripting or combatfaggotry. That leaves us with static builds as the only legitimate way.
:M

Draq restrictions sounds mad through.
NO, U MAD.
:troll:

Delayed consequence is just nasty
So is ability to bypass any consequence and manipulate any probability with a single press of a button.

Unless you consider oblivion, where there are no consequences, no failure and you're doomed to succeed no matter what you do a pinnacle of cRPG design (in which case kindly off yourself) there are going to be either delayed consequences or forced ironman (or active reload discouragement) in order to have consequences.

Of course there should also be a lot of soft failures.

also how do you know what effect potions will have that you found and then sold?
You couldn't. You could auto identify it "improperly" with skill based chance of being wrong.

Moreso, NPCs could check for their alchemy skill when buying or accepting such potion for you and react adversely if it's not what you claim it to be. Probably still better than getting them poisoned and having it traced back to you.

Obviously, the barter system should have item value negatively dependent on NPCs ability to craft it (so selling potions to master alchemist would be pointless if they would accept them at all) and positively on item's utility to that character (alchemist might be interested in rare ingredients, while normal shopkeeper might not).
or a sword?
Test it?
you want to create a system where you offloaded your loot in a location and never come back in fear of prosecution?:retarded:
You'd run out of places to sell. :smug:

How about just not pushing unidentified crap on NPCs or living with consequences?

Why do you want to create a system by use and then prevent player from using? and your idia about increasing cost of new skills should be banned and you put on a stake for creating retardation.
You mean you prefer it when every character can become identical master of all skills?

I thought people had limited potential for learning new stuff, so slowing global skill gain rate with every skill increase sounds like the right thing to do *AND* it just happens to make player avoid grinding shit for the sake of grinding shit, preferring to focus on stuff he actually need for given build and playstyle.

Yep, this should be mandatory. It's really hard to balance it properly unless you've got a fairly linear or restricted game world, though.
I'd rather balance it by having world open wide enough to count on player always having some way to survive and not dead-end himself.

It'd probably prevent a low-level character from maxing out those skills early in the game, but it'd hardly be a problem for more experienced or wealthy characters (and everyone in TES is rich as fuck after a couple of hours).
But then you have adventured a lot already and due to skill leveling getting more and more difficult you'd rather focus on skills relevant to your build, so if alchemy or illusion weren't relevant to you then, they still won't be now.

Also, you'd have to balance a skill like pickpocketing around the fact that it's mostly useful for inexperienced, piss-poor characters who cannot afford decent equipment otherwise.
It's also useful for obtaining odds and ends or pinching legendary items off characters unwilling to part with them without involving yourself in bloody murder.

Introduce too hard a punishment for failure and you'd make the skill even less useful than it already is.
You don't get any harder than getting killed when using insufficient combat skills. In any case, I prefer having multiple degrees of soft failure. Fun is when character faces the odds and gets in various trouble, not when he's killed off for slightest imperfection.

I don't think you can fix pickpocketing by punishing the player more from failing at it.
Not more. Later.
Instead, you should make it a skill that actually sees some regular use in quests and gives more benefits than it currently does (by making the economy harsher or rewarding the player for non-violent solutions, for example).
Of course. Regular use in quest is already in in Morrowind - if you need to obtain an item off someone, then pickpocket is already an option. Or mugging, for that matter (one of the patches broke it but MCP brought it back).

That's because you constantly think in categories of combat and noncombat being neatly segregated and combat having no negative consequences.
If you ever get over this way of thinking I can guarantee you a bit of
n5025f396ada91.gif
experience, so I'll try to not spoil it for you.

mondblut

Arcane
That's because you constantly think in categories of combat and noncombat being neatly segregated and combat having no negative consequences.

As always, living in a magical fantasy land where they aren't?

And where use-based systems work, too.

Bulba

Learned
And that's the problem here. In a well designed system any decision should cut you off from content and quests should have multiple, mutually exclusive entry points. For example you could have a quest involving people being duped into some shit and kidnapped. You could start it by hearing the rumours and investigating, getting hired by local authority, stumbling upon kidnappers hideout or getting duped yourself and waking bound and butt-naked in a cell in some dungeon.
That way you could spend time wondering about cost/benefit in character rather than masturbating to content.

And XP based is based on either scripting or combatfaggotry. That leaves us with static builds as the only legitimate way.
:M

Draq restrictions sounds mad through.
NO, U MAD.
:troll:

Delayed consequence is just nasty
So is ability to bypass any consequence and manipulate any probability with a single press of a button.

Unless you consider oblivion, where there are no consequences, no failure and you're doomed to succeed no matter what you do a pinnacle of cRPG design (in which case kindly off yourself) there are going to be either delayed consequences or forced ironman (or active reload discouragement) in order to have consequences.

Of course there should also be a lot of soft failures.

also how do you know what effect potions will have that you found and then sold?
You couldn't. You could auto identify it "improperly" with skill based chance of being wrong.

Moreso, NPCs could check for their alchemy skill when buying or accepting such potion for you and react adversely if it's not what you claim it to be. Probably still better than getting them poisoned and having it traced back to you.

Obviously, the barter system should have item value negatively dependent on NPCs ability to craft it (so selling potions to master alchemist would be pointless if they would accept them at all) and positively on item's utility to that character (alchemist might be interested in rare ingredients, while normal shopkeeper might not).
or a sword?
Test it?
you want to create a system where you offloaded your loot in a location and never come back in fear of prosecution?:retarded:
You'd run out of places to sell. :smug:

How about just not pushing unidentified crap on NPCs or living with consequences?

Why do you want to create a system by use and then prevent player from using? and your idia about increasing cost of new skills should be banned and you put on a stake for creating retardation.
You mean you prefer it when every character can become identical master of all skills?

I thought people had limited potential for learning new stuff, so slowing global skill gain rate with every skill increase sounds like the right thing to do *AND* it just happens to make player avoid grinding shit for the sake of grinding shit, preferring to focus on stuff he actually need for given build and playstyle.

I'd rather balance it by having world open wide enough to count on player always having some way to survive and not dead-end himself.

It'd probably prevent a low-level character from maxing out those skills early in the game, but it'd hardly be a problem for more experienced or wealthy characters (and everyone in TES is rich as fuck after a couple of hours).
But then you have adventured a lot already and due to skill leveling getting more and more difficult you'd rather focus on skills relevant to your build, so if alchemy or illusion weren't relevant to you then, they still won't be now.

Also, you'd have to balance a skill like pickpocketing around the fact that it's mostly useful for inexperienced, piss-poor characters who cannot afford decent equipment otherwise.
It's also useful for obtaining odds and ends or pinching legendary items off characters unwilling to part with them without involving yourself in bloody murder.

Introduce too hard a punishment for failure and you'd make the skill even less useful than it already is.
You don't get any harder than getting killed when using insufficient combat skills. In any case, I prefer having multiple degrees of soft failure. Fun is when character faces the odds and gets in various trouble, not when he's killed off for slightest imperfection.

I don't think you can fix pickpocketing by punishing the player more from failing at it.
Not more. Later.
Instead, you should make it a skill that actually sees some regular use in quests and gives more benefits than it currently does (by making the economy harsher or rewarding the player for non-violent solutions, for example).
Of course. Regular use in quest is already in in Morrowind - if you need to obtain an item off someone, then pickpocket is already an option. Or mugging, for that matter (one of the patches broke it but MCP brought it back).

If you ever get over this way of thinking I can guarantee you a bit of
n5025f396ada91.gif
experience, so I'll try to not spoil it for you.

You live in your own world, whatever other people say, you just twist it so that it fits your global view of things.
btw yes I do think that being master of all is better than having to avoid using most/some skills - kills all the fun in the game for me!

Bulba

Learned
YEAH! let's just repeat our preferances over and over again... just in case someone has missed one of the posts
:D

Fezzik

Cipher
In the world of roguelikes, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has a learn by use system and is loads of fun. The fun-factor remains despite the usual drawbacks of a use-based system, I think, because the largely linear and roguelike nature of it forces you to stay focused on moving forward and not dying instead of metagaming too hard (though I'm sure plenty of people do that).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom