Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Are there any RPGs that implemented skill improving by using, in a decent manner?

7hm

Scholar
In the world of roguelikes, Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup has a learn by use system and is loads of fun. The fun-factor remains despite the usual drawbacks of a use-based system, I think, because the largely linear and roguelike nature of it forces you to stay focused on moving forward and not dying instead of metagaming too hard (though I'm sure plenty of people do that).

I was going to mention this one as well. The revised skill system they introduced a few versions ago helped eliminate most of the pointless "let rat wail on you for two hours to increase shield skill" type behaviour. Mind you, DCSS is combat oriented, and has a really tight scope. The skill system itself only really has the one non-combat skill (traps&doors). That said I think that using this as a basis for a larger RPG would be possible.

Raygun_elf

Educated
Yes but Darklands also implemented permadeath in a rather problematic way, it encouraged the player to savescum and you couldn't really learn from death/defeat in way you're supposed to in an RPG. Also in my opinion it focused too much on hyper-realism and didn't give the player enough information in-game (not referring to the manual btw), even going so far as not showing choices that are unavailable due to the player not having a high enough skill requirement, resulting in the player really not knowing such options even existed in the first place, and the skill requirements for them. It's good if you want to spend half a lifetime replaying the game multiple times with different types of characters (which isn't a bad thing because DL is so good) to discover all the hidden options, but for those who only like to play a game through once they will never appreciate just how dense/deep a game Darklands is.

But on the topic of skill improvement by use, the concept is sound but obviously some mechanisms are needed to prevent it being exploited by grinding.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom