Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone feel that Sid Meier games are fun for awhile then get boring quickly

rezaf

Cipher
Some efforts were made to try and address this, so the devs have been clearly aware of the issue.

In Civ1, which is the only "real" Sid Meier game, since his part in design and development was fundamental, this was much less of an issue. Compared to later civ titles, the first game is so simple it can almost pass as a coffee break game.

Later games, for understandable reasons one of which was players demanding it, piled complexities and features on, most of which requires player attention, causing the micromanagement hell. Adding insult to injury, with quite a few such features they never even bothered to enable the AI to make use of them.

Attempts to remedy the situation ranged from automation options to drastical changes to game design aimed at discouraging player growth alltogether.
But the core problem remained.

I feel civ is in need of a new major evolution, maybe splitting the game into distinct phases, kinda like in Spore, to outright remove certain micromanagement options at certain points. Of course, something like that would probably be at odds with having multiplayer, which has come to be an expected feature of the series.

But what do I know, I'm just an old fart at this point. The last two civ games never really clicked for me, if I play the series at all these days, it's usually CivWin, the Windows version of part 1. Like I wrote earlier, it's almost like a coffee break game these days, you can easily finish the average playthrough on an afternoon or two. So ...get off my lawn, I guess.

laclongquan

Arcane
Alpha Centaury is infinite fun from start to finish.

The sole problem is the city management at end game with number of city reach cap or beyond. The amount of micromanagement can be said as humongous. You might need at least 20 minutes to go through all the city screen EACH turn.

civac2

Novice
I get around this problem by playing Pbem/Pitboss. A half hour turn is perfectly acceptable in these game modes.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Agreed on civ games becoming micromanagement hell

Endgame (and large maps) are hell.

Like I said, I think Sid Meier's games have depth. But they don't have the width. They are like a small, but deep lake.
A few saved build queues and rally points alleviate it for the most part. If you have 20+ cities, you have to let go of micromanaging each city perfectly, at that stage it doesn't matter that much anyways (at least vs AI). If it's a close game vs human players, then it is another story.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I remember many a fond hour of Sim Golf when I was a kid. Can't say I ever got bored of it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom