Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone addicted to Morrowind?

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Wasn't bribing someone related to Speechcraft, and not Mercantile?

Aside that, that is a good summary of some nuisances.

Hawkwing74

Liturgist
I agree with your points Limorkil, but it's frustrating still and I don't think I have the patience to install mods to fix the difficulty and play through again. I went through my addicted phase and I think I'll be moving on to other games.

Snuffles

Novice
I played through with a shocking character concept of not being a thief, so no free stuff for me, but it was still easy.

I found the quests irritating, mainly because I was playing a good person, the thieves guild was out, the fighters guild wanted me to assassinate someone and steal some stuff, the mages guild wanted me to assassinate and steal too and finally the main quest had me breaking imperial law as my first quest and dunmer law for my second quest!

Anonymous

Actually, you can make a good result of the Fighter's.

Just kill the current leader, heh. He's working for the assassins guild, Commona Tong, he's trying to off the thieves guild for them for protection in return, I think.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Role-Player said:
An Alchemy-based mage can get a complete Master set of apparatus in Caldera, for free, as they're behind an unlocked door in the Mage's guild.
I can just imagine you at friend's place. Your friend walks out of the room to get a cup of coffee / tea / beer and while you're left alone in the living room... "Ahh, free TV! *yoink* Free DVD player! *yoink* Free special collectors edition of the Matrix. I hate it personally, but I know someone I can sell it to for $500 *yoink*". You evil, evil thief you.

Role-Player said:
Let's also remember the Creeper :?
What, that guy I gave 500,000 gold just so that didn't have to play the selling game with every tradesman in the game? :) Yeah, I cheated so sue me. I really can't be fucked walking around with a 48,000 sword and vainly looking for someone who has that much gold for me to pass it off to them.

hijks

Novice
No, not yet =) I can say that I was blown away by the graphics when I first saw it. The experience was like seeing GTA3 after playing GTA 1+2. I was hooked by Daggerfall, though. I spent sooo much time doing all the guild quests and so on that I never started my campaign quests. I almost got lost once in this one huge dungeon (for like 2 hours) that I actually started to worry that I would never get out!! No game has ever made me feel so helpless when getting lost in a dungeon!

I can see why some people here despise the game, but IMO, it takes RPG into a rather different direction, and overall, a great technical achievement.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
DarkUnderlord said:
What, that guy I gave 500,000 gold just so that didn't have to play the selling game with every tradesman in the game? :) Yeah, I cheated so sue me. I really can't be fucked walking around with a 48,000 sword and vainly looking for someone who has that much gold for me to pass it off to them.

Yeah that was really annoying. I had to Mark the location of the Mudcrab merchant, and had to buy things off of him so that he could buy what i had. In truth, it may have just been an attempt to balance the game in the sense of not getting too much money by selling high-priced items; but in that case, they should've included merchants who, albeit not paying full price, would still have much more money than the usual merchants.

suibhne

Erudite
Part of the Morrowind difficulty problem is that the world is so damn big, with so damn many things to do, that you can easily be level 30 before you advance very far along the main plot. That's a serious problem inherent in creating an appropriately-challenging main plotline when you provide so many sidequest opportunities. That said, I still occasionally found Morrowind challenging with the difficulty slider at the maximum.

I loved Morrowind simply for the feeling of exploration (though I haven't been able to bring myself to finish Bloodmoon - one of these days, no doubt). You really felt like you were inhabiting a world, at least from a geographical and architectural perspective. It got the physical aspects of the game world down, better than any other game I can remember; alas, it failed miserably at the social aspects of the game world.

I still remember crawling around the alien and hostile landscape when I was only level 2 or 3, watching the sun set through the mist. That's more than I can say for most games.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fucking necromancers.
Agreed.
Part of the Morrowind difficulty problem is that the world is so damn big, with so damn many things to do, that you can easily be level 30 before you advance very far along the main plot. That's a serious problem inherent in creating an appropriately-challenging main plotline when you provide so many sidequest opportunities. That said, I still occasionally found Morrowind challenging with the difficulty slider at the maximum.

I loved Morrowind simply for the feeling of exploration (though I haven't been able to bring myself to finish Bloodmoon - one of these days, no doubt). You really felt like you were inhabiting a world, at least from a geographical and architectural perspective. It got the physical aspects of the game world down, better than any other game I can remember; alas, it failed miserably at the social aspects of the game world.

I still remember crawling around the alien and hostile landscape when I was only level 2 or 3, watching the sun set through the mist. That's more than I can say for most games.
morrowind's main quest sucked but it was okay since not many people even finished it. It was an addition. The 'real' gameplay came from exploration and I enjoyed it greatly. It wasn't the quality of Gothic or anything similar, but still alright enough to keep me interested. Overall, it's an okay game, the best Bethesda ever made, but nothing spectacular.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If MW could improve combat, more of a Daggerfall type of feel and more randomization to make things feel more unique, would be solid improvements. BTW, try some of the mods, they really change the experience.
This is the most badly aged post on the entire Codex.

Years of procedural generation games have proven that, if anything, randomization makes things feel significantly less unique.

I'll take games with zero randomness over games over-relying on it any day.

Harthwain

Magister

Years of procedural generation games have proven that, if anything, randomization makes things feel significantly less unique.
Depends. I wouldn't say no to randomized low- and mid-level magical items. Stoneshard's demo was kind of cool because you could get different items each run.

Kalon

Scholar
morrowind's main quest sucked
It's good until the Cavern of the Incarnate, which in a way is the climatic moment of the MQ. Everything afterwards is mostly tedious with the only exception being the moment you meet Vivec.

The 'real' gameplay came from exploration

Yes but you also need the MQ at least in your first playthrough, to give you a sense of the world and stitch it all together.

Konjad

⛏
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The 'real' gameplay came from exploration

Yes but you also need the MQ at least in your first playthrough, to give you a sense of the world and stitch it all together.

I've played Morrowind many times and always ignored the main quest beyond going to Balmora. I have only finished it years later in 2006 when I set myself to finally bother with it considering I've spent hundreds of hours in this game and never played it. It only disappointed me.

Kalon

Scholar
I've spent hundreds of hours in this game and never played it
Yep, it's a not uncommon experience with Morrowind. Start a character, explore, soon enough you're level 40 and you realize you haven't done anything meaningful or worth remembering.

xuerebx

Erudite
I like reading through very old threads and seeing how someone's writing style evolved over time. I've never seen VD use "lol" for example :lol:

I no longer download many mods, but I've always used this site ("Morrowind Summit"):

http://www.rpgplanet.com/morrowind/

which has a huge plugin database. I never had any problems.

Clicking on the link brings you to gamespy's goodbye post in 2013. Even if I've never used it, it still feels a bit...sad? Knowing something just ended up dying over time, dunno, it's a weird feeling.

Dave the Druid

Educated
If MW could improve combat, more of a Daggerfall type of feel and more randomization to make things feel more unique, would be solid improvements. BTW, try some of the mods, they really change the experience.
Honestly I think this aged worse... oh wait, it's from the same post:
Not to say that Morrowind is a bad game, it just that its a facade, and hopefully Elder Scroll 4 will have some more substance.

NecroLord

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
That's just what Morrowind needs, more RNG.

*swing at mudcrab*
MISS

*swing at mudcrab*
MISS
Never neglect your fatigue.
Low fatigue leads to your character peforming poorly - you will be hit more often, you will lose accuracy and even casting spells is more difficult with low fatigue.
Formula for hitting successfully in combat is something like Weapon Skill + Agility + Current Fatigue + Luck.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom