Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anyone addicted to Morrowind?

Hawkwing74

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Hawkwing74, regarding BG, I don't consider linear games role-playing, and BG is no exception. The fact that you can choose your own class and gain some exp after killing monsters doesn't equal role-playing. I'm not saying such games are bad, I liked BG myself, as an adventure game with rp elements.
After I posted I realized that this was where you guys were going...so what would be the purest RPG then? What about Wasteland (greatest game ever :D )

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Elwro said:
But the really good thing about it is the toolset. Scripting is potent and easy if you know Pascal or any other language. The idea of plugins based on one *.esm file is very good - the world gets more and more detailed (of course 90% of mods is shit, but there are notable exceptions).
I fixed a few bugs with the toolset, too. Right know I don't play the game frequently, but I'm a member of a modding group. In fact, I'm going to do some translation work on a big mod.

Speaking of which, do you know which is(are) the best mod(s) to change character faces? I downloaded some which looked nice (they did a good job and altered Dunmer, Nord, Breton, High and Wood Elf facial textures for both genders (though some are just modifications of faces we've seen in other places; i saw a Breton with Chritsy Turlington's face, and a High Elf with what seemed like George Clooney's face :shock:) but apparently they insist on telling me that ear textures are missing, on removing some armour textures, and crashing the game when i try to equip some torso armour on character models with new faces (and so i disposed of them :? ).

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Hey thanks Elwro ;) While this isn't quite like the one i tried in terms of quality, it's at least much more stable. The one i tried earlier was this one. The link is a pic of the female Dunmer images; the creator had various ones for several races.

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Neither of which are as good as the latest and best compilation - Faces of Vvardenfell.

Find it in the Morrowind forum. There's two threads on it - one of which is the official thread for the mod. The mod doesn't 'exist' anymore due to some conflicts between a bunch of asshole face modders and the two guys who compiled that mod. The modders forced them to take it down because of some issues with the naming of edited files (the two guys forgot to rename some of the faces they edited) so the mod was subsequently removed from Unforgotten Realms.

However, some people managed to download it before they took it off and put it up on their own servers, so you can get it off there. It's totally worth it. I hate mod communities that screw themselves.

Realbumpbert

Liturgist
Morrowind is quite shallow once you've played it for a while. Then it comes time for you to download mods, and you're doomed. I'm still hooked, after nearly two years.

Anonymous

You can keep gaining levels after you cap everything, sorta.

Just commit a crime and go to jail, your skills will lower but your level wont, then just raise them again (yay for exploits).

I hated Morrowind and I notice someone asked for an alternative, from what I hear about it, try Gothic.

Anonymous

And just a side tip, to make Morrowind less boring due to you getting so strong, do a few things:

NEVER use Training
Avoid Daedric items like the plague (includes the Daedric-God weapons)
Dont use the Creeper or the Mudcrab, infact, kill them

Megatron

Liturgist
I liked Morrowind. But it got a bit boring having to walk (slowly) over the same area for quests and I don't like all the rocks and lava, so I don't bother with most of it.

I was thinking of deleting nearly all npcs and buildings besides traders, but I couldn't be bothered. I like operation: flashpoint better anyway?

I'll just wait for Far Cry or STALKER too come out. There isn't any stats or rpg type of stuff, but it looks fun?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
LlamaGod said:
And just a side tip, to make Morrowind less boring due to you getting so strong, do a few things:

NEVER use Training
also, uninstall morrowind :)

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
LlamaGod said:

NEVER use Training

And don't do a coc "toddtest" :wink:

JanC

Liturgist
Vault Dweller said:
Hawkwing74, regarding BG, I don't consider linear games role-playing, and BG is no exception. The fact that you can choose your own class and gain some exp after killing monsters doesn't equal role-playing. I'm not saying such games are bad, I liked BG myself, as an adventure game with rp elements.
TOEE is *SO* more linear then BG. At some stages of BG you are actually quite free to explore the wilderness or Baldur's Gate itself. It just has choke points where you have to do something in order to progress. It is at least as free as Arcanum, or PS:T, or U7:SI but not as free as U7 or Morrowind. Plus, you could easily have a fairly non-linear adventure game, so linear != adventure game.

Spazmo

Erudite
Is that a fact? Then how come Baldur's Gate has all of one ending (you beat Sarevok) while ToEE's endings vary widely based on the choices you make during the game? Granted, Baldur's Gate lets you meander more, but you ultimately go to the same place.

Anonymous

Morrowind is the same as Spazmo said there, too.

You can run around yadda yadda, but all quests and stories are still the same with the same ending and reward.

triCritical

Erudite
JanC said:
TOEE is *SO* more linear then BG. At some stages of BG you are actually quite free to explore the wilderness or Baldur's Gate itself. It just has choke points where you have to do something in order to progress. It is at least as free as Arcanum, or PS:T, or U7:SI but not as free as U7 or Morrowind. Plus, you could easily have a fairly non-linear adventure game, so linear != adventure game.

Actually this does not prove that BG is more non-linear then ToEE. Afterall they are different scopes, with BG being a much larger game. Remember it took over three years to make BG and 19 months to make ToEE. Look much less open areas were in BG2 and that was on a tighter schedule.

Still BG and ToEE have pretty much the same linearity as far as exploring goes, there is just much less to explore in ToEE and that has to do with scope.

Anonymous

ToEE's story is mainly just an event, something occurs, you act on it, ta-dah, the end.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Are you talking about the same BG where they practicaly say "You can't go in the city yet, come back in a later chapter"?

No it must be some other BG I didn't get, I got stuck with the linear one :cry:

taks

Liturgist
HanoverF said:
Are you talking about the same BG where they practicaly say "You can't go in the city yet, come back in a later chapter"?

No it must be some other BG I didn't get, I got stuck with the linear one :cry:

no, the same BG that had a TON of side quests and thing to do that had nothing to do with the main storyline (even moreso in BG2, almost to the point of distraction). the main story in BG, however, is the very definition of linear.

mark

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Somewhat back on track, i wonder why it wasn't possible to deal with smugglers. It would add something else to do in the game, in my opinion. The idea of doing some smuggling while avoiding Imperial troops would've been nice, and more missions like the one where you have to smuggle the Moon Sugar placed inside the Khajit's bowels would be nice.

Come to think of it i wonder why it wasn't possible to side with Ur himself.

One other thing that might've improved it would be some more dynamic guilds. I just climb to the top and that's it. Sure, i can help the guilds triumph on their own or succumb to the Cammona Tong, but there isn't really anything beyond that. I would've liked to see some new recruit trying to cause a power shift and try to usurp my place in a guild (wheter for his benefit or for other guilds), or even supervising other recruit's training, or even be given special missions by the Cammona Tong.

I think a possibility to temporarily alter myself when i'm turned into a vampire wouldn't be too shabby; that way i could temporarily deal with townsfolk without their usual bitching. And why full-faced helmets allow others to realize i'm a vampire is beyond me.

Diogo Ribeiro

Erudite
Well i can understand not including what i said for vampires, and i certainly can understand not being able to side with Dagoth Ur, but the excess of smuggler-ridden caves with all of them attacking me is... well, bad. And repetitive. And not really going anywhere with it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom