Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anybody want to play DoW?

desocupado

Magister
In Dark Crusade the Space Marines and Imperial Guard were horribly underpowered.
Chaos and Eldar were the top dogs by far.

Dark Crusade was not well balanced in anyway, and in Soulstorm they adressed a lot of balance problems.

I don't remember the fliers being a big deal in regards to balance. The relicnews forums complained a lot about their shitty implementation. But balancewise, they're mostly ok.

Anyway, I got Soulstorm installed here. But if everyone is playing Dark Crusade, I can install it too, although my hd is full...

MetalCraze

Arcane
Another problem is attrocious Soul Storm map design.

Winter Assault was the last well balanced DoW anyway. But nobody will play it.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
So get Dark Crusade instead?

I hate flying units anyways, as long as I can play space marines/chaos

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah Dark Crusade is where it's at. DoW was all about taking bunches of troops and running through maze-like environments raping the enemies.

Flying units kinda defeat that idea.

I also remember KC saying that there was some mod for DC that adjusted the rules so they would be more in line with tabletop ones - as much as you can do that in RTS.

desocupado

Magister
There is such a mod, and someone mentioned it in this thread.

The maps available in Dark Crusade are also available in Soulstorm. They added a couple of them, but the old ones are still there.

I just played a couple of matches with silver crowaxe. Good fun. We should make a tournament.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Just get Soulstorm and stop whining about imbalances. In Soulstorm 1.2, all races are as balanced as they're gonna get in a 9 race game.

Air combat is underpowered because the aircraft are fragile as fuck and don't do enough damage to infantry and commanders to be viable, so there's no point complaining about something that no sane player will base his strategy on. They're only useful for some harass and that's it.

And above all, this isn't some high-level tournament or anything. I personally suck at the game but it's pretty fun anyway because you never get instantly raped, so even one-sided games can be fun.

Anyway, I see silver crowaxe and desocupado are online so how about a quick 3 FFA?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I'll be available in something like an hour. Gotta study retarded Arabic shit now, and then install Dark Crusade/Soulstorm + patch them 'cause I think I still have Vynter Assault on my hdd.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Reject_666_6 said:
Just get Soulstorm and stop whining about imbalances. In Soulstorm 1.2, all races are as balanced as they're gonna get in a 9 race game.
This.

I might join up for some gaming later, I used to be quite good at DoW1 but I haven't played in a while so I'm probably mighty rusty.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I won't be joining cus I can't get hamachi to attach to my account.

desocupado

Magister
We just had a 2x2, with one of the positions filled by the AI.

Pretty fun.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Gud stuff.

Despite the merciless buttrape against my unsuspecting buttcheeks.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Reject_666_6 said:
Jaedar said:

You don't have to do that. Just put in a nickname and you can join networks.
The button is greyed out(as is the button to attach account). And when I press the 'on' button it says I get denied. I sent a ticket, but I doubt the solution will be quick.

Shame really, was looking forward to playing this :(

desocupado

Magister
Jaedar said:
Reject_666_6 said:
Jaedar said:

You don't have to do that. Just put in a nickname and you can join networks.
The button is greyed out(as is the button to attach account). And when I press the 'on' button it says I get denied. I sent a ticket, but I doubt the solution will be quick.

Shame really, was looking forward to playing this :(

Have you looked at the forums? Or a FAQ?

I want more players!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Managed to get it to work. I'm up for a game any time today.

desocupado

Magister
root said:
if I instal dark crusade I can haz game, assuming i'll just try to rape people with the necrons? soulstorm runs like shit on my computer, takes forever loadan times

The load times are exclusive to the campaign. We are playing Soulstorm, install it and patch it to 1.2.

desocupado

Magister
Jaedar said:
Managed to get it to work. I'm up for a game any time today.

Just open the chat window, and call whoever is online. If I'm available, I will play.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Avatards as in huge overpowered units that often mess up the game. One Eldar unit is even called as such.

desocupado

Magister
MetalCraze said:
Avatards as in huge overpowered units that often mess up the game. One Eldar unit is even called as such.

One such unit doesn't win the game alone, and it almost never see's the light of the day, because they are tier 4. I lost games where I fielded my relic unit, and saw replays where the guy who fielded his relic unit lost the game, even when my/his opponent did not field one.

And every race has one.

Jesus, if the game is so shitty, why do you bother posting here anyway?

We *like* the game, no amount of bitching will change that. Are you here just to send potential players away?

Don't you have some new popamole consoletard bullshit shooter to complain about? Call of Duty Black Ops was just released!

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
I have won every game I've played so far :smug:

Awesome fun indeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom