Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anybody want to play DoW?

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Seeing as the Victoria 2 codex game has failed, we need some kind of easy to learn, popamole strategy game to play.

So anyone up for it?

EDIT for instructions:

Ok, here's how it's gonna go down:

1) Download the latest Hamachi:
https://secure.logmein.com/hamachi/addc ... p?nomenu=0

2) Join the network:

Name: CodexDoW
Password: kingcomrade

3) Make sure you have the latest version of whatever expansion you have:

- For vanilla DoW it's version 1.51.
- For Winter Assault, it's 1.51.
- For Dark Crusade, it's 1.2.
- For Soulstorm it's 1.2.

4) Then we can play when we have some people.

Topher

Cipher
Yeah, I sort of forgot about the Victoria/EU3 topic. I own DoW 2 but I'm not very good at it, I assume you're wanting to play some MP or something.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I'd rather play 1, but if everybody's got DoW2/Chaos Rising I'll play that. I don't own DoW2 but I know how to configure it over Hamachi if that's not a problem for anybody.

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
I might get DOW1 when there's a sale or something. I've heard good things about Dark Crusade - is it standalone?

grotsnik

Arcane
It's standalone for SP, but I think you need the other games to play all the races in multiplayer.

Chef_Hathaway

King of the Juice
Patron
White Knight
Divinity: Original Sin BattleTech
If you guys do DoW1, you should check out the Firestorm over Kronus/Kaurava mod. Adds quite a bit of units and makes the combat closer to the tabletop, as in weapons are faithful to what they do in tabletop as well as certain engagement rules and such.

Needs Dark Crusade to work, but their next version is going to be for Soulstorm.

Link to FoK forum

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Im up for Victoria 2
but do you need all expansions to play multiplayer for dow?

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I'm pretty sure you don't need all the expansions, but you can only play using the races from the expansions you have. Just to be sure, if you're downloading DoW, get Soulstorm anyway and I'll give you race unlockers.

Mangoose, if you want to buy DoW, be sure to get Dark Crusade and stop there. Soulstorm is not worth your money for the singleplayer. For multiplayer, just download it because the new races are pretty fun.

desocupado

Magister
I think I would play it. I'm not sure how my pc would handle it, since I no longer have a off board videocard.

But I'm willing to give it a try.

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Ok, here's how it's gonna go down:

1) Download the latest Hamachi:
https://secure.logmein.com/hamachi/addc ... p?nomenu=0

2) Join the network:

Name: CodexDoW
Password: kingcomrade

3) Make sure you have the latest version of whatever expansion you have:

- For vanilla DoW it's version 1.51.
- For Winter Assault, it's 1.51.
- For Dark Crusade, it's 1.2.
- For Soulstorm it's 1.2.

4) Then we can play when we have some people.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I remember playing DoW multiplayer way back.

It was p. fun, but I had a really fucking annoying bug that would just make it crash in completely arbitrary moments (it never happened in singleplayer). Maybe it was fixed now with all the other expansions and patches and shit, I might as well tag along for your next sitting.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Dark Crusade still has a few bugs left, one of the most infamous preventing the Chaplain from increasing his melee damage with the weapon upgrades. These issues were never fixed by Relic but have been corrected in Soulstorm. Thankfully someone made a mod to fix those problems for those (like me) who love Dark Crusade and think Soulstorm blows.

Note that if you use the mod, the movies won't play in the single player campaign. The reason is that the movies are stored in a directory and not a big archive file, so the mod can't find them. An easy fix is to copy the "Movies" folder from "DXP2" to the "Chaplain" folder, but you'll end up with a rather large duplicate. You could delete the duplicate from the DXP2 folder but I'm leery to do that kind of thing. A far more elegant solution though is to create a symbolic link with the mklink command-line tool, so you have only one folder with the movies with a symbolic link in the "Chaplain" folder.

desocupado

Magister
If you use the mod, everybody that plays with you has to use the mod too.

I am finishing the Soulstorm installation here.

MetalCraze

Arcane
hoodoo said:
if i torrent soulstorm can i still play spes marinez

Don't waste your hdd space on this imbalanced piece of shit.
Dark Crusade is the last good DoW game.

Soulstorm is something you need to put online for free as a mod so it will get lost among all other ones. Jeez let's add flying units and fuck up a game which was balanced for ground combat for years and then add shitty low detail maps that have one of their half mirrored and call it an addon to DoW.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom