Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Any Elvira or Waxworks fans out there?

Unwanted

Dumah

hiver 2.0
Queued
From what I have seen so far there are fans for all sorts of games in these forums, from the AAA massive attack titles like Skyrim to more niche and almost forgotten games like Urkuul and The Summoning...but I have never seen any comments on Elvira or Waxworks. Those games where pretty cool for its time and muderously hard (especially Waxworks).
I have been wanting to replay them but those where a few of the games I lost...since I have not replyed them in almost 20 years my memry might be playing tricks on me but would like to see some comments on people who also played them, and hopefuly enjoyed them too

Cool name

Arcane
The images are not down. I believe the Codex was added to Imageshack list of forbidden domains. I believe it did happen two years ago.

There is a workaround if you use Opera. I can look up the instructions for you if you give me a little time.

The Elvira games are good. I would recomend you to replay the games with your memory still foggy. Having forgotten much will make you have to work out many of the puzzles and the dungeons again.

If do you enjoy the combination of dungeon crawler and adventure game on a horror setting I would recomend you to try The Legacy as well. There is a Let's Play in the Playground, but do not read beyond the bare minimum to see if you like the game. It is full of spoilers and secrets almost from the very beginning.

Unwanted

Dumah

hiver 2.0
Queued
Yeah the Legacy was an awesome game too....thanks for the heads up
Whats wrong with Brozo? :?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Do replay them. They're really good.

Also be sure to read each and every of Black Cat's LPs. :P

Also also it's Uukrul not Urkuul.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Elvira games were pretty good. Not-terrible combat, some actual interesting puzzles, and a nice atmosphere. Waxworks... not so much.

Unwanted

Dumah

hiver 2.0
Queued
They removed some things from Elvira (like the location based damage) for Waxworks but hey, some Elvira vibe horror game is better than no horror game at all
Awesome sig BTW

Cool name

Arcane
Waxworks is not a bad game. I do believe its problem is that the quality is not consistent through the worlds. The mine world is for me one of the best dungeons in the series. I consider it second only to the church world in Jaws of Cerberus. Egypt is a good dungeon with puzzles and traps but it is lacking in atmosphere. The other two worlds are not as good.

But I did never understood why did they remove the combat system used on the original Elvira from Jaws and Waxworks. It was twitchy but great fun. I also never understood why did they ditch the magic system for Waxworks. It was good in Elvira and great in Jaws of Cerberus.

@ Crooked Bee: I am grateful for the esteem in which you seem to hold my past Let's Play threads. I want nothing more than to be able to live up to it with the new ones.

Unwanted

Dumah

hiver 2.0
Queued
I guess they where trying to develop different gameplay mechanics for newer titles and polish them off as they went along.
As I recall the games sold well, so it was quite a disspointment they never released more

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik

Phelot

Arcane
Yes, Fowyr provided some vintage hand-drawn maps for Jaws of Cerberus in that thread I made.

Anyway, all I can do is echo the others here, yeah the Elvira games are great as is all the Horrorsoft Games. I personally enjoyed Jaws of Cerberus the best. The Amiga music for it is REALLY good, too.

Also, if you get tired of the 3 mentioned here, give http://www.mobygames.com/game/personal-nightmare a try. It's more of a traditional adventure game.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There are some helping maps and solutions here http://www.nemmelheim.de/horrorsoft/elvira/index6.html

I have some potato Computer Studio scans but they're obviously useless.
Too bad that Rpg/horror theme mix was so rare in the old days. Something old-school infestated with b-movies monsters and nice mechanics would be sweet.

Oh, Elvira.

elvira2-e1289797654644.jpg

:bounce:

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
Yes, I have a lot of experience with Elvira and waxing my pole.

Unwanted

Dumah

hiver 2.0
Queued
Fuck I mean other than Xena I would say she has received the most uh...salutes by horny fantasy fans anywhere....
Hell she STILL looks good yo...
Milf
Milf
Milf

Wolfus

Arcane
No mention of Personal Nightmare? WTF is this?
I love all Horrorsoft games. Personal Nightmare is really difficult, Elvira 1 has insane music and hard combats + great view to Elvira's ass, Elvira 2 has everything you want from a game and Waxworks is scary as hell. Mine and Ripper levels have the best atmosphere ever. You can still buy them so do not hesitate: http://www.adventuresoft.com/acatalog/Other_Adventure_Soft_games.html

Unwanted

Dumah

hiver 2.0
Queued
I found PN to be a bit experimental, while Elvira had the finished product but yeah it was damn good too

Phelot

Arcane
I could never get PN to run smoothly in DOSbox. It takes forever to change scenes, but I got well enough through it.

Wolfus

Arcane
Who is that horsefucker? I hope he is just trolling...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom