Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Elvira: Mistress of the Dark HELP!

Phelot

Arcane
No idea if this goes here. It's often described as an RPG/Adventure game, so... move if need be.

Anyway, Black Cat did an LP, followed that, but I'm missing two ingredients from the garden area that all the walkthroughs mention should be there. :mad:

The deadly nightshade and Belladonna. They're needed for the Fingerlight spell and for a few others. FFS, I even watched an LP on youtube, but the player just rushed through and didn't grab a lot of stuff from the garden area.

Anyone know where these two things are? It's driving me nuts. Post a pic with circles to be extra bro, or just tell me which screen they're on. Thank you bros!

EDIT: Oh FFS no one has played this game, right? Sukeban Cho if you're still around, I'd appreciate the help :salute:

Luzur

Good Sir
well i played it on Amiga a long time ago, but i think you search the bushes when you are in the area (although i dont remember any flowers).

Phelot

Arcane
Phelot
Heh. So much pixel hunting... I found maidenhair and several other ingredients only on the second playthrough.
http://www.nemmelheim.de/horrorsoft/elvira/cluebook.html
Nightshade Backyard Path (by Shed)
Belladonna Garden Path
I hope this helps.

It helped with the Nightshade, sure enough:

BPy4g.jpg

It's the circled mass of brown pixels :lol:

I have no idea about the Belladonna. I've been all over that path and I can't find it. I bet it was easier to spot on the Amiga, but here it's ridiculous.

What's funny is that I knew about that site, but didn't notice the list there :P

Phelot

Arcane
have no idea about the Belladonna. I've been all over that path and I can't find it.
Click on the tree above right corner of door, under chimney.

HA! Good one! That list didn't mention it was by the shed, though.

After discovering the mistletoe and maidenhair, you'd think I would have tried pixel hunting on that screen, but I never really did. The walkthrough I turned to made it sound like it was either in the garden or the path right outside the gate.

Thanks! The mystery is solved! It also turns out I missed other stuff I wasn't even looking for.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
You are welcome. BTW, I never saw complete walkthrough for the Elvira. Some things are always missing.
EDIT
Phelot
Are you planning play Jaws of Cerberus after completing Elvira?

Phelot

Arcane
You are welcome. BTW, I never saw complete walkthrough for the Elvira. Some things are always missing.

Yes, it is interesting how much you can miss. There is a speedrun on youtube with a guy beating it in like 9 minutes or so and indeed it is pretty easy to breeze through if you don't bother with a lot of stuff. My OCD does not allow me to miss things, though :obviously:

EDIT
Phelot
Are you planning play Jaws of Cerberus after completing Elvira?

I had actually finished up Elvira without those ingredients and moved onto Elvira 2. It runs much better than the first game for me and it certainly improved on a lot of stuff, though it seems a bit easier once you get the hang of things. I kind of stalled on it, I had finished the haunted manor first, and was messing with both the Crypt and spider caves.

I really like Horrorsoft's thing with having tons of items, most useless, some not. I also started to play their first game Personal Nightmare. Was even working on doing a LP, but I know I would just abandon it :lol: I don't think there is any combat in that entire game and it is timed which I don't normally like.

Do you know of any other games similar to the Horrorsoft games? That is, lots of items?

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
My OCD does not allow me to miss things, though :obviously:
Just remember, that in the conversations with lesser minds it should be called "perfectionism". And I have my share of this diseaseblessing too. :lol:

I had actually finished up Elvira without those ingredients and moved onto Elvira 2. It runs much better than the first game for me and it certainly improved on a lot of stuff, though it seems a bit easier once you get the hang of things.
Jaws are bigger and really tougher. I died in some places over 9000 times.

I kind of stalled on it, I had finished the haunted manor first, and was messing with both the Crypt and spider caves.
Heh, I restarted game once, because cut wires to the Franky too early and saved game. And good luck with mapping catacombs by hand.

I also started to play their first game Personal Nightmare. Was even working on doing a LP, but I know I would just abandon it
It sits on my to play list for ages. By the way, try Hound of Shadow, it was good.

Do you know of any other games similar to the Horrorsoft games? That is, lots of items?
Geneforge? ;) Really, I can't remember any another adventure game than Elvira with so many useless items. Oh, wait! Robinson's Requiem!

Phelot

Arcane
Just remember, that in the conversations with lesser minds it should be called "perfectionism". And I have my share of this diseaseblessing too. :lol:

:salute: Yes, of course, this is what separates us from the peasants :obviously:

Jaws are bigger and really tougher. I died in some places over 9000 times.

found it to be easier if you just explore for XP in safe zones, by lvl 3 you can kill the witch, then go to studio 2 (haunted manor) since most of the enemies can be killed or otherwise defeated by using the right item/spell. You can get a lot of XP clearing it and by the time you nearly finished it, you can deal with just about anything in the catacombs or the spider cave. Kind of funny how it leads you to believe Studio 1 would be easier since it's... well, since it is #1.

Heh, I restarted game once, because cut wires to the Franky too early and saved game. And good luck with mapping catacombs by hand.

Ugh yeah, I tried to get through without mapping, but it is too disorienting.

Geneforge? ;) Really, I can't remember any another adventure game than Elvira with so many useless items. Oh, wait! Robinson's Requiem!

Oh yeah, I tried RR awhile back, but I can't recall much of it. I don't think I ever got it to run very well.

I really like the idea of lots of useless items. Trying to figure out what might be useful and what isn't is almost a puzzle in itself. Also, the limited reagents is cool, too. Wish that was used more.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
found it to be easier if you just explore for XP in safe zones, by lvl 3 you can kill the witch, then go to studio 2 (haunted manor) since most of the enemies can be killed or otherwise defeated by using the right item/spell. You can get a lot of XP clearing it and by the time you nearly finished it, you can deal with just about anything in the catacombs or the spider cave. Kind of funny how it leads you to believe Studio 1 would be easier since it's... well, since it is #1.
I mostly used same way, but died from poison a lot. Maybe I just hoarded my spells too much, dunno. I remember where is a lot of poisonous mushrooms (reagent for Cure Poison) in the caverns.

Phelot

Arcane
LOL... I think I can make out that page. I had actually seen that before, but missed a lot of links on it.

Yes, Waxworks is great stuff, though I wish it had been a bit more continuous rather than depending on vignettes. All in all, 2 is my fav with 1 being my second favorite. I love me some ingredients, what can I say? I really wish more games would use limited reagents for spells.

I enjoyed what I played of Personal Nightmare, but there were some REALLY bad loading times when entering any area.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
No two walkthrough of Catacombs is alike because of the digging skeletons. Still I made full maps of all catacomb levels ;)

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Hm, it's an interesting proposition. Should check their condition, maybe re-draw first two levels and scan them.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
I have a bent ruling pen and I must draw. :M

Elvira 2 catacomb maps.

I wanted to redraw first two levels (what I made more than 10 years ago), but realized what should check them in the game for minor inaccuracies. So I redraw third and fourth level what was just a little misplaced.

Map legend:
U - up
D - down
Dunno what mean circles around these letters. Maybe indication of skeleton-made hole.
c - chest
T (or dotted line on early maps) - trap.
l (or short line perpendicular to one of the walls) - lever. It's red on levels 3 and 4
semi-circle on the wall - niche (or just a green line on 3 and 4)
wall with line crossing it - door (or bars on first two maps) I made it a yellow (more like orange) on 3 and 4
two short lines on the opposite walls (or just a red line) - bars
I don't even know what "a" means.
Elvira on the level 6, just behind "Wz" - Wizard
"+Int" - appropriate potions in the chests

5zh094.jpg

mr77m9.jpg

2mhewi0.jpg

svl6kz.jpg

119r05y.jpg

27yv1v6.jpg

Unwanted

Guido Fawkes

Defensor Fidei
Project: Eternity
Hey Phelot, you should play the Legend games. Much more entertaining, better written, smarter and much less frustrating.

Phelot

Arcane
Do they feature Elvira the Mistress of the Dark, though?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom