Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anthony Davis Pillars of Eternity FULL GAME Impressions [UNMARKED SPOILERS]

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
You could, there were no restrictions on leaving an area during combat.

You can't leave a map during combat at all. Or at least in the backer beta you can't. It's particularly odd since the stamina system offers the perfect solution - restore the enemies' stamina when you return to the area you fled during combat.

Ooooh yeah. You're right. Party members didn't go down in IE games... they died.

Right. I remember now.

Anyway, fleeing completely from a battle wasn't something that I did much in PoE.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Har Har, someone changed the title to the thread...

That was me. I have a knack for ATTENTION ATTRACTING thread titles and this is a thread that demands attention. But if it bothers you, feel free to use Thread Tools to change it to whatever you wish.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
1. did you ever experience "bestiary exp" depletion? like, were you ever left unrewarded by an encounter? if so, how does that make you feel?

2. how often did you feel like you had options on how to solve quests? how often did you encounter evil choices?

3. which do you prefer, sawyerisque prefixes like "fine" or "sharp" or whatever, or simple D&D-esque +1, +2, etc.?

Athelas

Arcane
How are the faction mechanics compared to say Fallout New Vegas?

Is the current project that Avellone is creative lead on going to use the PoE engine? With RTwP combat or something else? :M

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
That was me. I have a knack for ATTENTION ATTRACTING thread titles and this is a thread that demands attention. But if it bothers you, feel free to use Thread Tools to change it to whatever you wish.

:shunthenonbeliever:

Nah, it's alright. I just didn't want an outsider to the Codex to get the wrong idea. I'm here to talk to you guys, not attract attention.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
1. did you ever experience "bestiary exp" depletion? like, were you ever left unrewarded by an encounter? if so, how does that make you feel?

2. how often did you feel like you had options on how to solve quests? how often did you encounter evil choices?

3. which do you prefer, sawyerisque prefixes like "fine" or "sharp" or whatever, or simple D&D-esque +1, +2, etc.?

1. I think I maxed out wolves and black slimes pretty quick. I never felt unrewarded - the bestiary is neat PLUS you always get loot. Fighting Kith is even better because they drop their gear. I did not feel like I needed to grind exp, rather I found myself looking to complete quests.

2. Quests that can be resolved many different ways, and yes there are "cruel" options as well as some that can end with your doing the murders.

3. Sawyer didn't come up with that... I remember that from Wizard's Crown and other games, like Darklands. I find them more interesting that +1 etc.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
How are the faction mechanics compared to say Fallout New Vegas?

Is the current project that Avellone is creative lead on going to use the PoE engine? With RTwP combat or something else? :M

You have a reputation with local towns, as well as a global reputation for yourself.

Once your reputation really gets going, I started to find reactions and conversation options based on it. To me, that was a little... different I guess? To have a guy respond to to me, "You reputation for kindness and mercy is well founded". Because I tend to play as a nice guy the first time through.

I don't know how eveeeel you can be nor do I know what happens in towns and with other people - but I have seen the conversation options for some pretty cruel choices.

Athelas

Arcane
You ignored my second question, but I can understand why you can't talk about it. ;)

LundB

Mistakes were made.
You have a reputation with local towns, as well as a global reputation for yourself.

Once your reputation really gets going, I started to find reactions and conversation options based on it. To me, that was a little... different I guess? To have a guy respond to to me, "You reputation for kindness and mercy is well founded". Because I tend to play as a nice guy the first time through.
Would the reputation mechanics allow for playing an utter bastard with really good publicity (as opposed to a rep system where it seems like everyone gets an automatic psychic alert when you're a douche)? I know I enjoyed it in F:NV, being arguably the most evil (or at least most selfish) cunt in the wasteland but doing it mostly stealthily or when nobody but the victim could find out, continuing to enjoy very positive reputation with the compatriots of those I killed/robbed/was sorta a dick to, barring any screwups where I got caught. I had ridiculously low karma, but a very high reputation just about everywhere.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
3. Sawyer didn't come up with that... I remember that from Wizard's Crown and other games, like Darklands. I find them more interesting that +1 etc.
true dat.

how do you feel about itemization in general tho? good distribution of armors, weapons?

and what do you think of weapons not having those classic IE "scetches"
Flail_of_Ages_%2B3_item_artwork_BG2.png

I'm not even sure if PoE has something in its place? how unique do items feel?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What do you think about all the QQing about the lack of immunities and how magic is boring and spellcasters are ruined forever compared 2 deeandee

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
You ignored my second question, but I can understand why you can't talk about it. ;)

Oh I just missed it. I don't think Avellone is very secretive about what he is working on.

He is working on one secret project here at Obsidian.
He is working on Torment.
I think there is a third, but I don't remember. He is super busy all the time.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Would the reputation mechanics allow for playing an utter bastard with really good publicity (as opposed to a rep system where it seems like everyone gets an automatic psychic alert when you're a douche)? I know I enjoyed it in F:NV, being arguably the most evil (or at least most selfish) cunt in the wasteland but doing it mostly stealthily or when nobody but the victim could find out, continuing to enjoy very positive reputation with the compatriots of those I killed/robbed/was sorta a dick to, barring any screwups where I got caught. I had ridiculously low karma, but a very high reputation just about everywhere.

Maybe? I'll send this one over to Josh.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
true dat.

how do you feel about itemization in general tho? good distribution of armors, weapons?

and what do you think of weapons not having those classic IE "scetches"
Flail_of_Ages_%2B3_item_artwork_BG2.png

I'm not even sure if PoE has something in its place? how unique do items feel?

I didn't even notice the missing sketches. There are unique weapons and they have cool back stories.

For instance, I had Justice, a two handed sword and I had "Whispers of Yenwood" (or something like that) as well.

There are other items too, including unique firearms.

You can also just straight up MAKE an enchanted item - I only did a little of that.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
What do you think about all the QQing about the lack of immunities and how magic is boring and spellcasters are ruined forever compared 2 deeandee

I find it unwarranted.

Aloth, the npc wizard I had in my party saved the day frequently. Sure, he is in big trouble if there isn't a beefcake to stand between him and the charging troll, but once there is, he takes care of business.

There is a new mechanic in PoE where AoE spells have a HIT EVERYONE AREA and a HIT ENEMY AREA. The inside area of an AoE will hit everyone, where are the edge will hit only enemies. This allows you to get "danger close" with many spells and it's pretty cool. I use his ray of fire spell quite a bit, as well as fireball, fan of flames, and more. Even his magic missle spell is good (visually it has shades or ToEE).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I find it unwarranted.

Aloth, the npc wizard I had in my party saved the day frequently. Sure, he is in big trouble if there isn't a beefcake to stand between him and the charging troll, but once there is, he takes care of business.

There is a new mechanic in PoE where AoE spells have a HIT EVERYONE AREA and a HIT ENEMY AREA. The inside area of an AoE will hit everyone, where are the edge will hit only enemies. This allows you to get "danger close" with many spells and it's pretty cool. I use his ray of fire spell quite a bit, as well as fireball, fan of flames, and more. Even his magic missle spell is good (visually it has shades or ToEE).

Well the complaint isn't that wizards are underpowered, it's that they're boring compared to D&D (e.g. all the examples you used were damage spells). Though I never played the way they do, nor would I ever, and of course I prefer wizards play by the same rules everyone else does, so it's an improvement for me. :cool:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
was all the voicework in when you played? do you know if we can expect any irenicus-level characters/monologues?

what are your thoughts on the inventory and stash? how did it feel playing with it?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Well the complaint isn't that wizards are underpowered, it's that they're boring compared to D&D (e.g. all the examples you used were damage spells). Though I never played the way they do, nor would I ever, and of course I prefer wizards play by the same rules everyone else does, so it's an improvement for me. :cool:

Oooooh, is the complaint about buffs?

I'll try playing a wizard directly instead of using Aloth and see what it's like.

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
was all the voicework in when you played? do you know if we can expect any irenicus-level characters/monologues?

what are your thoughts on the inventory and stash? how did it feel playing with it?

I don't know if *ALL* the voice work was in, but it seemed like a decent amount. I focused mainly on listening to the companions and I thought they were great.

Your mileage may vary - for example, back in the Kotor 2 days, I thought he voice acting for Atton Rand was TERRIBLE, but people loved him. *shrug*

You can't drop items in the game, so the Stash is necessary. You can choose to limit the stash size if you want - I did not.

You won't really get good sell prices for most things, like 5 copper, but even when you do sell something for a lot, you have a ton of things to spend money on.

For example, the Stronghold is a money sink. You will not make money with the Stronghold.

Also, if you complete a certain quest, the blacksmith in Guild Vale will have some nice items that are pretty pricey.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Are weapons interesting, or is it just +1?

Also what about non-combat skills?

Anthony Davis

Blizzard Entertainment
Developer
Are weapons interesting, or is it just +1?

Also what about non-combat skills?

No plus ones that I saw.

You have regular, fine, and exceptional... I think?

Somethings, like firearms start at fine.

edit:
There are 5 skills:
Survival
Athletics
Stealth
Lore
Mechanics

They affect all sorts of things - from abilities to combat to conversations.

Anyway, I'm heading home and probably won't be able to update this till tomorrow since I will probably be too busy spending time with my family and then after that... playing PoE!

Oh that reminds me..

Josh is going to stream PoE on Thursday. I don't have anymore details than that. I guess check the Obs forums?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Oooooh, is the complaint about buffs?

I'll try playing a wizard directly instead of using Aloth and see what it's like.
That's part of it.

As I understand it Sensuki and the other grogs are upset because they feel as though the best thing to do is deal damage or lower a defense so you can do more damage attacking it. They're also upset over the absence of ad hoc rules like D&D-style mirror image and stoneskin and optional hard counters e.g. using haste to counter slow and vice versa, dominating your own charmed party member to get 'em back, putting vocalize on your mage then casting silence and such (i.e. hard counters that exist in the games, but aren't mandatory by any means, unlike that BG2 stuff Josh dislikes so much for good reason).

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
What is the internal impressions about priests (if anything in particular)?

Did religions/churches have a consistent presence in the story (quests, factions, etc)?

Edit: Meant to add, thanks for taking questions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom