Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anthony Davis Pillars of Eternity FULL GAME Impressions [UNMARKED SPOILERS]

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Aw, that's sad to hear. Here's hoping we'll eventually see "Pillars of Eternity: Extreme Social Discomfort Edition" with the weirdest characters "restored".

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I was thinking more along the lines of a Sensuki: Durance Restoration Mod.

Hormalakh

Magister
Skeevy durance. LOL He even looks skeevy. I want him in my party now.

Skeevy adventurer has Avellone written all over it. I bet you Josh said he had to tone it down because it was probably too sexist.

Hormalakh

Magister
I don't hate the guy, believe it or not.

On the other hand, this is actually one place where it isn't hard to believe that Josh would step in. Josh has no qualms about telling other developers that he wants the game to be respectful to women (which is totally fine). It isn't hard to imagine that MCA's charcter took a few steps too far in being skeevy and was likely more misogynistic than was probably appropriate.

There are female players afterall, and while MCA really does a fine job of airing out his irritations with RPGs through his work, it probably was likely to not go over well in this new era (i.e, the recent controversies re: misogyny in gaming).

Or it could have been someone else. The point is that Josh is lead and he'd probably have a say in those sort of decisions.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh has included mass systematic rape in two of his games, and included it in some form in every other thing he's worked on whether released or not, he doesn't have a problem with sexist characters as long as the writing itself isn't sexist.:M

Duraframe300

Arcane
Josh has included mass systematic rape in two of his games, and included it in some form in every other thing he's worked on whether released or not, he doesn't have a problem with sexist characters as long as the writing itself isn't sexist.:M

See Fallout: New Vegas. That argument doesn't fly when hes made something like the legion.

Also MCA isn't exactly different either in that regard

*Insert MCA + Zoe Quinn picture here*

:troll:

So no Hormalakh doesn't make sense to me. Much more likely it just didn't fit well / feel right overall and somebody more involved on the writing team (like again Fenstermaker) mentioned it. Sawyer already has enough on his plate to scale back to writing only one companion, I doubt he went over everyones charachters.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Really no point in scaling shit back if it's just out of fear. If those people want to be angry then they will find something to be angry about regardless of what you do.

Starwars

Arcane
Maybe the writing was shitty, edgy and in need of restraint? It's not as if MCA is without fault when it comes to writing, especially not in terms of subtlety.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Really no point in scaling shit back if it's just out of fear. If those people want to be angry then they will find something to be angry about regardless of what you do.
Well - I support artists staying true to their vision, but it's silly to say that anyone who complains about some things is always guaranteed to complain about everything.* "Those people" will be angry if something is there that pushes their buttons, and will not be angry if there is nothing there that pushes their buttons. The question is how far you are willing to go to avoid pushing anyone's buttons.

*The Codex of course is the singular exception to this generality.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Well - I support artists staying true to their vision, but it's silly to say that anyone who complains about some things is always guaranteed to complain about everything.* "Those people" will be angry if something is there that pushes their buttons, and will not be angry if there is nothing there that pushes their buttons. The question is how far you are willing to go to avoid pushing anyone's buttons.

*The Codex of course is the singular exception to this generality.

Agreed. Maybe I spoke too absolutely there. But I will say this - if for some reason these groups want to be angry, and they look at your product, they will find something. Obviously, the chance of that goes down if you keep your head in the grass. It's just no guarantee, really.

IMO, they won't ever see it. Very rarely do these 'easily offended' folks play games like this. I've said it way too many times before, but just look at this Sarkeesian lady and her outrage. She pointed at New Vegas and yet completely failed to make mention of the Legion. They don't play the games. So long as you're not a AAA-studio you're probably in the clear to do what you want.

fnwc

Novice
A RTwP game would not be my first choice if I was calling the shots - I prefer TB, but I backed it anyway because again, I love Obsidian.

So... can you get on the phone and try to get them to make another Temple of Elemental Evil? I *love* that game.

fnwc

Novice
Yeah Barbarians do have an optional ability that improves their damage when they have less than half health. Only problem is that in the current beta at least, less than half health means you're in trouble as hits take off a high percentage of total health per hit (or well, Endurance). Usually means you don't qualify for the bonus very long either because you got healed straight away, or got KO'd.
It would be nicer if the ability was simply a scaler of missing health %, maybe capped at 50% or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom