Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review Another idiotic KOTOR review

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Tags: Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

<a href=http://www.gmrmagazine.com>GMR</a> has decided to share its pretty much <a href=http://www.gmrmagazine.com/article2/0,4364,1435639,00.asp>worthless opinion</a> on <b>KOTOR</b>. The rating is <b>10 out of 10</b>.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>A game pitted with scores of moral choices at nearly every turn, KOTOR excels in allowing the player to go where he wants, when he wants. KOTOR's events can be played in nearly any order, giving the player a tremendous sense of freedom that, while not as sprawling as Morrowind's, offers excellent replay value.</blockquote>
<br>
Wow, I can choose which extremely liner planet to visit next! The sad thing is that KOTOR is a good game overall and it does offer some interesting things, so there is absolutely no reason to make something up and pretend that the game's weaknesses like "stellar battle engine" are actually its strengths.
<br>
<br>
<blockquote>Likewise, players can shape the events to come through robust character customization.</blockquote>
<br>
Btw, can somebody explain me what the hell does that mean?
<br>

<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.gengamers.com">GenGamers</A>

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
He was just showing off his l33t grammar skillz is all. :)

And I think he means you can handle different events based upon what class you are playing. He just said it all pertiful and fanciful is all.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Otaku_Hanzo said:
And I think he means you can handle different events based upon what class you are playing. He just said it all pertiful and fanciful is all.
It's like saying that "the game is really awesome" is a fanciful way of saying that the game sucks :) Shaping events doesn't equal solving quests in different ways as the outcome is usually the same, i.e. you can get the Sith uniform 2 ways, but you still get the damn uniform, you can't find another way that doesn't involve it. In some cases you can make a choice, like blow up the machinery or do some ecological damage but that's your choice that doesn;t depend on the uber character customization that basically offers you 3 ways of killing stuff.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, saying you can shape the events in KOTOR is like saying you can chew nails and spit out bullets. Just isn't gonna happen. The events all end up the same way. Just that some of them offer different ways of doing them depending on what skills you have and use. That's the only thing I can think of by what the reviewer meant. If they did truly mean you could change the events overall, then they are a sad little unit who obviously didn't play the game and just copied from other reviews to get on the overhype bandwagon and look cool. :roll:

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
I smell frustration in this thread. I am very bemused.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
Uusually, when you disagree with a review; you usually make a funny. Now, it seems you have fallen to just calling it idiotic and/or overhyped. It seems that you are getting frustrated with all the special love KOTOR is getting. Really, they can't be that important.

Important Fact before some munchkin attacks me: This is not an endorsement on this particular review as I would not be rating KOTOR perfect. I find it silly; but not worth the trouble calling some unimportant reviewer "idiotic". I actually liek reviews like this in a way; because it shows the rveiewer isn't a jaded peabody whoc an't overlook a game's fault for 2 seconds and enjoy it. :wink:

Vault Dweller

Developer
I see. Well, may be you're right. I'm still readjusting to the news thingy, I didn't read that many reviews before, but now that I do, I am shocked at the amount of bull that gaming sites post. It's like a game where being objective and telling the truth scores you some negative points. It's not even funny anymore, it's retarded, hence the new attutude. I do realize that nobody likes to listen to a grumpy old man though, so the next news item will be more Codex-like :)

slavemaster

Novice
Not hell, but you can smell it from down the stree
Volourn said:
I actually like reviews like this in a way; because it shows the rveiewer isn't a jaded peabody who can't overlook a game's fault for 2 seconds and enjoy it. :wink:

I'm inclined to agree, but I do find a sizable difference between being a relatively new gamer excited because a game is overall excellent and, well, exaggerating the positive points of the game. I think people should take a break, smoke a joint or something, and wait for a few days so their excitement wears off, then write the review.

triCritical

Erudite
It is impossible to shape any events in a Bioware game, because no matter what you do Dave Gaider has already written the exact dialogue to the exact character action responding to 35 scripted events that you are forced to go through.

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Well I wouldn't say there aren't multiple paths in KotOR. Anyone remember Dantooine? Well if I remember correctly, there were always at least two roads for going south to the next section of the wilderness.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Vault Dweller said:
<blockquote>Likewise, players can shape the events to come through robust character customization.</blockquote>
Btw, can somebody explain me what the hell does that mean?
You see, Santa comes through the chimney, events come through robust character customization.

If shaped properly, that is.

Jed

Cipher
Greyhawk said:
Well I wouldn't say there aren't multiple paths in KotOR. Anyone remember Dantooine? Well if I remember correctly, there were always at least two roads for going south to the next section of the wilderness.
Zing!

triCritical

Erudite
Greyhawk said:

Exactly two roads that go to the exact same place. How non-linear of them. LOL!

Transcendent One

Liturgist
Oh no, no, no. They don't even lead to the same place. They lead to two totally different places. Sure, those places may be a couple feet away from each other and on the same map, and even looking exactly the same, they are still different places. In fact, you know what? I played one game where I completely avoided one road, and then another game where I completely avoided the other road! :shock:
:wink:

triCritical

Erudite
Greyhawk said:
Oh no, no, no. They don't even lead to the same place. They lead to two totally different places. Sure, those places may be a couple feet away from each other and on the same map, and even looking exactly the same, they are still different places. In fact, you know what? I played one game where I completely avoided one road, and then another game where I completely avoided the other road! :shock:
:wink:

Yes Yes Yes you are correct. What I mean is that they are two roads in which can lead you to the same place in map, which has different places.

The question is however, did you take the road with less hounds?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Trick questions! You would think Bioware would make a road with less hounds, since you are not yet a jedi, for the non-combat characters WOULDN'T you! But that would just make too much sense...

Vault Dweller

Developer
Greyhawk said:
In fact, you know what? I played one game where I completely avoided one road, and then another game where I completely avoided the other road! :shock: :wink:
Did you know that you can take one road, teleport back to the ship, then come back and take the other road, although that would probably be powergaming? :lol:

Jed

Cipher
Vault Dweller said:
Did you know that you can take one road, teleport back to the ship, then come back and take the other road, although that would probably be powergaming? :lol:
You mean the stone of recall, er...party transit dealie--I dunno, how about power-nerfing? Bio-nerfing?

Spazmo

Erudite
In all fairness, the Transit thing was fairly well done. It saved you time walking through safe zones and didn't work in DANJER zones, so it was okay by me.

Killzig

Cipher
Patron
bah. i barely ever used it unless it was to try and trigger an NPC side quest (FINICKY FUCKING BASTARDS still waiting for Juhani and Canderous' side quests to trigger)... if they'd wanted to do it better they should have let you use it to transfer you to important waypoints too. also including an overview map of the entire city would have been fucking nice, especially in that piece of shit tadpole pond. "AHTO IS A HUGE CITY!" MY FUCKING ASS IT IS, ITS A ZIT ON A FRIGGEN ASS OF A PLANET, I'M GLAD I KILLED YOUR FUCKING PROGENITOR YOU GODDAMNED FISH PEOPLE ARGH!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom