Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Angry Video Game Nerd game, now on Steam

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I am already deeply cringing at the meta jokes
tumblr_lhnyrdxCov1qat492o1_1280.jpg

Aren't you the guy who made me go back and watch all the Plinkett reviews last week? Now I have to go back and watch MST3k, too?

I ought to punch you in the teeth. :rpgcodex:

Repressed Homosexual
Well, AVGN fans aren't pretentious hipsters, they're just a bunch of kids and manchildren for the most part.

This is so true, you just have to watch the ratings his videos get. It's all 9.8 or 9.9 out of 10 accross dozens of thousands with comments full of spelling mistakes and DUDE YOU'RE SO AWESOME!!!

He is a filmmaker so he keeps on doing his low budget skits with costumes and editing that everyone finds ridiculous, but yes, everyone just wants him to focus on the games without all of the aggravating artifices that come with them.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
I saw a handful of his videos several years ago and never found them entertaining. I played the majority of the games he played so: 1) I don't need someone relaying stories about games I've already played; and 2) I don't need the exaggerated, toilet-humor filled, and moronic profanity tirades he goes on when doing so. They're so contrived it's more pathetic than amusing.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
When James Rolfe doesn't use his AVGN persona he's a lot better.

Sure is a lot of butthurt around here about a guy trying to cash in on his internet fame, like you guys wouldn't do the exact same thing in his shoes.

Multi-headed Cow

Aren't you the guy who made me go back and watch all the Plinkett reviews last week? Now I have to go back and watch MST3k, too?
Nope, that was Sea. You totally should go back and watch MST3K though.

And I don't think I've ever watched a full video from this guy. I started one once and then quit since it was just shit. Boring shit, too. Not "Ha ha, look how fucking stupid this guy is!" shit like your Angry Joes and your Total Biscuits, and not "Ha ha, look how fucking faux intellectual wanky this guy is!" like your Extra Credits and your Yahtzees and your Errant Signals, and CERTAINLY not "Ha ha, look how genuinely entertaining this guy is!" like your Matt Bartons and your.... That's largely it. Can't think of any other video person who regularly posts stuff I consistently like. Even Giantbomb is so crap I can't bring myself to watch it except on very rare occasions.
Moral of the story is everything's awful. Welllllllllllll I guess I could lump Bro Team in with Matt Barton although their videos haven't been as good for a while now. Started out slightly Codexian with actual critiques of the game if you read between the shit and dicks (Unfortunately they were often things you'd only notice if you've already played the game) but I'm not as sure any more. Hmm. Honorable mention if not actual Matt Barton placement, then.

Somewhat on the topic of e-famous Youtubers largely being shit, I bumbled into this guy relatively recently and watched a few of his videos. Bitchy as all hell and sometimes too literal and pedantic but I can't say I didn't enjoy it anyway. Think about it, won't you sirs?

Gozma

Arcane
This guy was like the first person on Youtube. I mean... I played NES Top Gun a few times and remembering doing so in 2004 was neat. Lol yeah landing was really hard!!! Iraq War!!1

A (edit: faux-8-bit) Mario knockoff platformer is awful though. He should at least get whatever flash programmer doing this for him to make a pastiche of horrible arcade ports and shitty licensed NES games.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
AVGN is kinda just bland. I watched many episodes years ago and they were somewhat funny, but it's really obvious he's tired of it and just riding it out as long as he can to keep raking in the dough (though I doubt it makes him much anymore). For the last 4ish years or so it's just been awful, but I guess the gimmick was at least a little entertaining at first.

James' movie reviews and tributes to various genres (like his Halloween specials) are much more interesting than any of his videogame stuff.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Spoony's fairly entertaining and insightful when he's not engaging in circlejerks with his cohorts at Channel Awesome and That Guy with the Ghasses or going off his meds and going batshit insane at everyone/spiralling into depression (and even then, his Breaking Down Dawn video was entertaining in a kind of sad way).

CorpseZeb

Learned
Uh. Thanks. Probably everything on Internet (not to mention youtube) was already discussed/discovered Here ;)

Aurelius

Educated
Sledding on a bleeding Santa Claus? Edgy as fuck.
My thoughts exactly, what's up with all the excessive gore? Not that I'm interested in the game, anyway.

On the topic of AVGN, I like his game reviews up until 2010 or so. I really disliked when he started doing more and more silly sketches and less reviewing the actual game. This is also the case in the latest Board James review (Dream Phone), which is like 3 minutes of discussing/playing the actual game, the other 14 minutes or so being a cheap horror skit. Why would I watch a review for that? Of course, his fanboys lap that shit right up.

The only thing he does that is pretty much consistent in quality are his movie reviews, mainly the Monster Madness. I don't care about those awkward videos of him and Mike playing some game and trying to come up with jokes all the time.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sledding on a bleeding Santa Claus? Edgy as fuck.
My thoughts exactly, what's up with all the excessive gore? Not that I'm interested in the game, anyway.

On the topic of AVGN, I like his game reviews up until 2010 or so. I really disliked when he started doing more and more silly sketches and less reviewing the actual game. This is also the case in the latest Board James review (Dream Phone), which is like 3 minutes of discussing/playing the actual game, the other 14 minutes or so being a cheap horror skit. Why would I watch a review for that? Of course, his fanboys lap that shit right up.

The only thing he does that is pretty much consistent in quality are his movie reviews, mainly the Monster Madness. I don't care about those awkward videos of him and Mike playing some game and trying to come up with jokes all the time.

His videos did hit a low point a few years back but IMO actually started inclining again after that.

What do you expect him to say about Dream Phone? It's just a dumb board game for girls. It's good that he milked that shit to make a horror movie. He's good at that stuff.

Aurelius

Educated
What do you expect him to say about Dream Phone? It's just a dumb board game for girls. It's good that he milked that shit to make a horror movie. He's good at that stuff.
Well, you're right about that, there's not much to say about the game itself. The review just wasn't what I expected, and personally, I don't like his horror stuff. I agree that he's talented, though.

EDIT:
Somewhat on the topic of e-famous Youtubers largely being shit, I bumbled into this guy relatively recently and watched a few of his videos. Bitchy as all hell and sometimes too literal and pedantic but I can't say I didn't enjoy it anyway. Think about it, won't you sirs?
I like it, but I think he shouldn't be so smug. I don't care about him being literal and pedantic (Codexian much?), since I'm taking what he's saying with a grain of salt.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Angry Video Game Nerd would be a lot better if he just dropped the angry. Still, I am "awaiting" (such big a word!) for this game with a great deal of curiosity : it would be very meta if this game was bad enough for him to get reviewed on the show.

And I have a feeling it is going to end up that way.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
It is really a shame, he clearly cares a lot more about movies and his videos about them have him calmly going over his opinions on them. It's hard not to like those videos.

But my god, the Angry Video Game Nerd is a character that must be killed off fast. That shit is just offensive and the shoe-horned skits that occur during them, while not approaching the levels of bad from TGWTG, are still abominations. If it weren't for the money, I suspect he would have given up on the character ages ago.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
I wish I could invent a time machine and destroy YouTube before it got started.

Multi-headed Cow

This piece of shit is going to get greenlit on the 17th, isn't it. It's going to come out of nowhere and overtake Zafehouse Diaries. God fucking damn it.
(it did. i want to die)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom