Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An Oblivion mod worth looking at

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Amazon Warriors? Why do they have two breasts?

Micmu

Magister
Amazon Man-eaters? :lol:
Looks like oblivious has already its share of idiotic childish mods like that Giants (?) for MW.
Let me guess - they are also the most popular.

Btw. is there any Orc pr0n mod out already?

Monica21

Scholar
dongle said:
Lord Chambers said:
dongle, did you read the entire readme, or are you just parodying an ESF poster's reading comprehension?
Nope. I'm a Graphic Whore, remember? I clicked the link, clicked on "screenshots", saw Amazonian bikini chicks in the first two shots, lost all respect for the mod author.
To be fair, it's nothing more than a retexture of the female Huntman's armor (or something) already in-game. Honestly, it's much better retexture. If Beth was going to make bikini armor in the first place it could at least have looked half-decent.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
ViolentOpposition said:
Homepage.

If there ever were a mod to redeem the fact that some of you may have spent money on Oblivion, it's this one.
You know what I'm finding? Turn all the graphics off, turn everything right the fuck down in all those video sliders and you know what you're left with? Crap. Utter crap. I think if I was looking at the kind of nice trees I had in Morrowind then yeah, I'd enjoy the mindless romping more. Riding around might actually be fun because I could look at umm.. the trees or something. Instead, I'm looking at grey blobs and bland landscape. It's actually quite awful how bad it looks with everything turned down. Morrowind looks better by comparison and fiven that, I'm not exactly sure why I need a super computer to run it considering Morrowind ran just fine.

dongle

Scholar
Monica21 said:
To be fair, it's nothing more than a retexture of the female Huntman's armor (or something) already in-game. Honestly, it's much better retexture. If Beth was going to make bikini armor in the first place it could at least have looked half-decent.
Like the Khajit and the Elf to her right are wearing in the pic I linked? I have to confess I missed those in the stock game. I suppose it wouldn't surprise me tho. . . .

dongle

Scholar
DarkUnderlord said:
Morrowind looks better by comparison and fiven that, I'm not exactly sure why I need a super computer to run it considering Morrowind ran just fine.
I honestly think Morrowind looked better than Oblivion. Certainly for it's time, and even on an ultimate scale in some ways. I might have actually felt Oblivion was worth the time I spent playing, if it weren't for all the graphic glitches and bland design.

VenomByte

Scholar
He should have polished off the leveled list mod, maybe add some other transparent fixes, and called it a day. If he wants to do a B00bie Warriorz mod, fine, but keep it separate.

Except of course, that with Oblivion's new CS & mod system, you literally cannnot merge mods & levelled lists, or have them share global variables/scripts/objects etc. Thus if he made the two mods separate, it would be impossible to use them together correctly.

Olbivion's mod system sucks balls.

Monica21

Scholar
dongle said:
Like the Khajit and the Elf to her right are wearing in the pic I linked? I have to confess I missed those in the stock game. I suppose it wouldn't surprise me tho. . . .
I missed the Elf, but I think the Khajiit is wearing the retexture. Not sure what the Elf has.

Monica21

Scholar
dongle said:
I honestly think Morrowind looked better than Oblivion. Certainly for it's time, and even on an ultimate scale in some ways. I might have actually felt Oblivion was worth the time I spent playing, if it weren't for all the graphic glitches and bland design.
I have to agree with this. I'm not sure what people are talking about when they talk about how bad the graphics are, but I think even with the stock graphics the game looks perfectly fine (although it may just be nostalgia talking). The scenery is far more interesting than trees-grass-trees-grass-trees. I'm one of those people who even liked the Ashlands.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
Monica21 said:
dongle said:
I have to agree with this. I'm not sure what people are talking about when they talk about how bad the graphics are, but I think even with the stock graphics the game looks perfectly fine (although it may just be nostalgia talking). The scenery is far more interesting than trees-grass-trees-grass-trees. I'm one of those people who even liked the Ashlands.

I loved the ashlands. They were sort of bleak, yes, but good bleak. If that makes sense. There's "bland" bleak and "proper" bleak, and they done did do it proper.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Turn all the graphics off, turn everything right the fuck down in all those video sliders and you know what you're left with? Crap. Utter crap.
Hey, there's a fair test of pretty on pretty much any game. The test certainly succeeds (or fails, depending on your perspective) with Doom 3. Turn the graphics down and it's not only ugly as shit but still boring.

stargelman

Scholar
Anyone seen the latest "official plugin"? Has got to be the worst yet.

This pack adds “Spell Tomes” to the world’s random treasure. These books grant you wondrous and powerful magic spells, just by reading them! Now Mages will also gain instant benefits by treasure hunting. Friend and foe alike will bow in awe before your power.

I guess there is a reason for the existance of the puking smiley on TESF.

Lumpy

Arcane
Actually, I think this one is the best official mod so far. Of course, that's not saying much.
Nevertheless, it is cheap, and it actually adds something useful.

Being a big gay tubesteak hahahahahahahahag
stargelman said:
Anyone seen the latest "official plugin"? Has got to be the worst yet.

This pack adds “Spell Tomes” to the world’s random treasure. These books grant you wondrous and powerful magic spells, just by reading them! Now Mages will also gain instant benefits by treasure hunting. Friend and foe alike will bow in awe before your power.

I guess there is a reason for the existance of the puking smiley on TESF.

I bet these tomes are level-scaled.

dongle

Scholar
VenomByte said:
Except of course, that with Oblivion's new CS & mod system, you literally cannnot merge mods & levelled lists, or have them share global variables/scripts/objects etc. Thus if he made the two mods separate, it would be impossible to use them together correctly..
Yeah, I had heard of that early on, back when I was still considering modding this game. Haven't been paying attention of late.

How far does that go though? If mod #1 makes changes to leveled list A, mod #2 makes changes to list B, a player can't use both mods at once? I can see if they both change list A, OK conflict. But, change one list, and no other mods can change -any- other list? Is that the way it works? If so, how can anybody mod anything?

The new official mod Spell Tomes adds them to the loot lists. Does that mean any player using it can't use any other mods that modifies any list?

What about new lists? If Mod #3 -adds- leveled list Z, which didn't previously exist, does that stop mod #1 & #2 from working? That's the way to add a new faction with unique dungeons and quest-lines. Add it in as new content separate from the main game, not rolled into a global gameplay fix.

Are you saying a mod that adds a new type of leveled list can't co-exist with one that changes an existing one? A modder wants to add any sort of randomized and/or leveled monsters to fight, and that's it, that's -one- mod a player can use?

VenomByte

Scholar
If the mods edit two completely different levelled lists, they'll probably work fine.

However, consider that to make Oblivion playable you need to completly overhaul every levelled list in the game (a la OOO).

Therefore, if you also want to use any other mods which alter any list, you'll break it.

dongle

Scholar
VenomByte said:
If the mods edit two completely different levelled lists, they'll probably work fine.

However, consider that to make Oblivion playable you need to completly overhaul every levelled list in the game (a la OOO).

Therefore, if you also want to use any other mods which alter any list, you'll break it.
Well, that makes sense. If two mods try to edit the same thing I can forgive the engine for being a bit confused. Part of the price we pay for the easily plug-able in-able game.

I can see that to truly fix the level scaling we need to edit every list. Still, edit them, fix some weapons/economy/ai/combat issues, etc. Maybe throw in options to fix the interface, stop spoilers in popups, disable the compass, etc. Do that without changing the flavor of the original. You'd have a mod that I'd definitely be interested in playing, well if I hadn’t already finished every quest and gotten sick of Oblivion inside of three weeks.

Now, add your Bikini Warrierz faction, your Steam-Powered Cyber-Whore faction, your Pirates-Who-Don't-Wear-Pants faction, ad nauseam. Deep immersion all around. :shock: Do these with separate dungeons, separate clan headquarters, separate leveled lists, separate spawn points, etc. Maybe sprinkle some stock mobs into your new locations so it's not quite so jarring. I wouldn't necessarily want to play those particular mods, but I understand they are quite popular.

I don't see any technical limitations to separating the two types of content.

I don't see any design advantage to bundling them and forcing it all on the player.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
I just played with the mod for 6 hours and here are my impressions:
-Slowed skill gains
I can't adopt an ignore approach on the primary skill selections since raising them thru training costs a bomb, and encounters become slightly tougher should you lack an armour skill. After 6 hour of play I only managed to hit lvl 3, and that's with skill training that costs around 1000 gold per session. If it was 'Old'livion I'd probably hit lvl 10 and be grand champion in the arena ;)

-Improved thieving experience
Definitely much better loot this time around, I went robbing shops in the first day and ended up with some good stuff that I can actually use. Especially with some surprise in store at night like a guard dog that nearly killed me at lvl 1.

-New Items & Mobs
Not bad really, the new texture and stuff are impressive to see and a much better improvement over the un-modded content. For paper-doll fanatics, there's capes, new armour textures and even new 2 Handed weapons.

A great time-waster till G3 is out probably :roll:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Dongle, you're so negative. You only based your assumption on screen shots, why don't you download it and try?

dongle

Scholar
RK47 said:
Dongle, you're so negative.
I'm posting on the CODEX, remember? :D

RK47 said:
You only based your assumption on screen shots, why don't you download it and try?
Don't forget, at Lord Chambers' insistence I read the whole entire readme, whew. :D I think the things he did in the "fix" category look well thought-out and sound like an improvement. I think the "additions" category look childish and would ruin the mod for me if I ran across them.

Why don't I try it? I played Oblivion for three weeks. I talked to everyone there is to talk to, did every quest, became master of everything, explored every road and waterway, collected complete sets of every weapon and armor, picked every fucking nirnroot. I could start over, make my guy's nose a bit longer, and do it all over again exactly the same way, but I really don't care to.

Lumpy

Arcane
dongle said:
VenomByte said:

Well, that makes sense. If two mods try to edit the same thing I can forgive the engine for being a bit confused. Part of the price we pay for the easily plug-able in-able game.

I can see that to truly fix the level scaling we need to edit every list. Still, edit them, fix some weapons/economy/ai/combat issues, etc. Maybe throw in options to fix the interface, stop spoilers in popups, disable the compass, etc. Do that without changing the flavor of the original. You'd have a mod that I'd definitely be interested in playing, well if I hadn’t already finished every quest and gotten sick of Oblivion inside of three weeks.

Now, add your Bikini Warrierz faction, your Steam-Powered Cyber-Whore faction, your Pirates-Who-Don't-Wear-Pants faction, ad nauseam. Deep immersion all around. :shock: Do these with separate dungeons, separate clan headquarters, separate leveled lists, separate spawn points, etc. Maybe sprinkle some stock mobs into your new locations so it's not quite so jarring. I wouldn't necessarily want to play those particular mods, but I understand they are quite popular.

I don't see any technical limitations to separating the two types of content.

I don't see any design advantage to bundling them and forcing it all on the player.
I don't think it's that excusable. Morrowind merged two different leveled lists with the same id, I think.
And the game isn't necessarily screwed. If there are two conflicting lists in two mods, the game will choose the one from the mod that is the lowest in the list (and thus was loaded last). So he could make his Amazons a plugin for OOO, and instruct the player to move it down the list.

Lumpy

Arcane
dongle said:
Why don't I try it? I played Oblivion for three weeks. I talked to everyone there is to talk to, did every quest, became master of everything, explored every road and waterway, collected complete sets of every weapon and armor, picked every fucking nirnroot. I could start over, make my guy's nose a bit longer, and do it all over again exactly the same way, but I really don't care to.
What the fuck? I guess you really like Oblivion.

dongle

Scholar
Lumpy said:
What the fuck? I guess you really like Oblivion.
Meh. I thought I'd give it a chance. Didn't have anything else I wanted to play.

I didn't go in expecting the most involving high-brow gaming experience, but I'd hoped I'd enjoy it on some level. You know, run around on horseback and kill shit. Go for a hike and take pictures. In the end I suppose it had it's moments. Mainly in a few of the oddball stand-alone side quests. The closer you got to the core gameplay, the less I liked it.

It's really no trouble at all to finish the game. Every goal has a big flashing red arrow in the sky telling you what to click next, and informative messages telling you how to solve any puzzle, and to tell you you've succeeded before you even realized you'd started. Click, click, click, master of the universe, done. No biggie.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom