Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

An Oblivion mod worth looking at

Lumpy

Arcane
A new official mod from Bethesda:
https://obliviondownloads.com/Coming_Soon_DLC9.aspx
I really wonder why the hell would a Telvanni mage want to overthrow the Imperial rule in Tamriel, when Telvanni mages usually don't give a shit about anything, especially not about anything outside the Telvanni district, much less Morrowind, and how he plans to do that with that blade. And if that weapon can kill enemies instantly, they'd better not make the quest completable at level 1.

jasondragon

Novice
Lumpy said:
How about the Thieves Den official mod? It sounds better than the others. Possibly one of the best house mods so far.

Just cleared out the thieves den. Boring. Dull. No chance you could have bosses use interesting tactics in a fight? All mobs seem to fight with the same formula.

Also not that Beth could do anything different but you have to purchase addons to upgrade your pirate base or your mage tower, etc.

God forbid there be a quest to implement each upgrade. Or something with a little more meaning.

OverrideB1

Scholar
There are far more things of pressing importance that need to be fixed - preferably by the freaking developers of the game - than whether or not cities are "open".

A friend of mine -- who borrowed MW from me and enjoyed it immensely -- brought this POS despite my warning him not to do so. Within a fortnight Oblivion was no longer eating up valuable HDD-space and he has sworn never to buy another Bethesda game as long as he lives. And he is part of the supposed target-audience -- mainstream FPS game-player with little or no interest in "traditional, stat-heavy cRPG".

There are so many things borked with this game -- and it bears so little relationship to all the wonderful promises that were made -- that I'm surprised it sold so well. Which only goes to prove Barnum's assertion about the birthrate of gullible people.

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Lumpy said:
What they did in Morrowind and Daggerfall? Constant Effect and Cast When Used.
Okay, and since you can still buff yourself with constant effects on armor, why does it really matter that you can't do it on a weapon instead? You can't have a sword that gives a bonus to your blade skill. Meh, I'm not sweating it. There are many things one can take issue with in Oblivion. That you can't have constant enchantments on weapons is not one.

Lumpy

Arcane
Lord Chambers said:
Lumpy said:
What they did in Morrowind and Daggerfall? Constant Effect and Cast When Used.
Okay, and since you can still buff yourself with constant effects on armor, why does it really matter that you can't do it on a weapon instead? You can't have a sword that gives a bonus to your blade skill. Meh, I'm not sweating it. There are many things one can take issue with in Oblivion. That you can't have constant enchantments on weapons is not one.
But why forbid it? It makes no sense...

Lord Chambers

Erudite
Yeah, I wouldn't be complaining if they let you put constant effects on weapons. But I don't think Sword of Light and Easy-To-Handle Sword make the game either.

Subject change.

You want to talk about an Oblivion mod worth looking at? Check out these videos of the new spells someone is cooking up. Finally, some of the engine's potential is being taken advantage of. It really makes me wonder at the potential if all sides of the game were this well developed. http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 00ACF96C30

Finally the foce push that seemed a give-in that the developers just decided not to implement! Stop time, earthquake, etc.

Here's a link to the forum thread where it can be DLed.
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... 466331&hl=

EDIT: Here's the latest version of the mod:
http://www.elderscrolls.com/forums/inde ... pic=493841

foneco

Novice
Personnaly Oblivion give Me the chance to get bored and try other Rpg's instead, finding some jewels like Arcanum, that I never heard before joining this forum.

Off course I still have hope that mods can give what it lacks, personality.

Just hope modders themselves dont get to bored before achieving that.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
The sealed off towns are not one of my major concerns. Mods Have already enhanced the expereience quite a bit though. I play without the place indicators and the popups, which makes questing less insulting to the intellect. Saddlebags mod gives the horse some actual use. Level scaling mods get tid of the more ridiculous aspects of level scaling. Highres texture mods improved the look of the land to the point where it's no longer painful. In that form I can actually enjoy the game for what it is - although there are still a lot of things it isn't.

bryce777

Erudite
This is a lot of the problem with trying to fix fundamental problems - it is a shitload of work, buggy, and is probably going to cause a lot fo problems with other mods.

If you really want a game totally different from oblivion, why not buy that in the first place?

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
bryce777 said:
This is a lot of the problem with trying to fix fundamental problems - it is a shitload of work, buggy, and is probably going to cause a lot fo problems with other mods.

If you really want a game totally different from oblivion, why not buy that in the first place?

Because first-person, single-player, fantasy, huge-land, exploration-heavy, sandbox, action-combat RPG's aren't exactly in large supply. There may be many things wrong with Oblivion, particularly on the RPG side, but the basic formula in TES is one that still appeals to me, and that is simply not done by other games. Gothic maybe, but it's 3rd person and on a smaller scale (so far, at least). MMORPG's are well, online with idiots. DeusEx, SystemShock, etc. are Sci-Fi and more shooterish (level design). My dream game is still a TES game done right.

elander_

Arbiter
Wait until the Daggerfall remake mod comes out then you will see a real mod. :cool:

crpgnut

Augur
I'm enjoying Oblivion immensely. Soul-trapping is definitely the way to go for weapon recharge. Varla stones are quite common, but I'd rather sell them in the early part of the game. After level 7 or so the Varla stones are kinda nice because you'll be carrying several magical weapons by then.

Hazelnut

Erudite
GhanBuriGhan said:
but the basic formula in TES is one that still appeals to me

Myself also, as you've probably gathered, but I still just simply couldn't enjoy Oblivion. The combination of extreme patronisation on top of a nensensical & inconsistent game world just ruined it for me. Oh, and the main quest gates. When going though a gate bored the hell outta me the first time round, even though I never noticed the quest compass still worked in the oblivion plane, it's not a good sign. In fact I never went though another because I stopped playing. So frustrating to see the good potential of what could have been squandered by bad design and weak, market-driven leadership just as many here predicted. :evil:

Going by the vids I've seen on youtube, Oblivion is most successful at being a fantasy kiddie playground along the lines of Garry's mod.

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The clone spell is really great, and the Meteor Atronach is pretty awesome.

Force Trap would make a great shield if it was attached to the caster.

Klinn

Novice
Twinfalls said:
Anyway, as this presents an excuse to laugh some more at how bad Oblivion turned out... Anyone remember back when MSFD was posting here, and the only advantage he could identify that Bethesda's fancy scripting might give to quest mechanics was what he termed 'push' quests - ie NPCs could 'find' you, walk up to you, and initiate quests?

Check out all the official mods. Every single one is initiated with an automatic on-screen message. No AI 'pushing' of quests in sight.
During the Thieves Guild quest line, there are a couple of times when an NPC comes up to you to relay a message from the Grey Fox, effectively starting off that particular quest. So what MSFD mentioned seems to be possible, just not used very often.

Imbecile

Arbiter
GhanBuriGhan said:
Because first-person, single-player, fantasy, huge-land, exploration-heavy, sandbox, action-combat RPG's aren't exactly in large supply. There may be many things wrong with Oblivion, particularly on the RPG side, but the basic formula in TES is one that still appeals to me, and that is simply not done by other games. Gothic maybe, but it's 3rd person and on a smaller scale (so far, at least). MMORPG's are well, online with idiots. DeusEx, SystemShock, etc. are Sci-Fi and more shooterish (level design). My dream game is still a TES game done right.

Aye - that sums things up pretty well.

Thrawn05

Scholar
Lumpy said:
http://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductView.aspx?ProductId=6
Mehrunes' Razor was released. And it's not a cheat item, apparently, since it can only kill Daedra in one strike.

Now all we need is the Boots of Blinding Speed premium mod.

Twinfalls

Erudite
You know, reading about mods like these makes me think 'wow, these sure are impressive, maybe I should get this game now that so much has been improved'....

until I realise:

- I'd still have to go through all the shitty Oblivion gates,
- story is still shit
- dialogue is still shit
- quests are still shit
- The lore is still non-existent
- AI is still retarded

and worst of all

- I'd be giving money to Bethesda.

So, in conclusion: nice, but fuck that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom