Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alpha Protocol sucks massive Multi-Headed Dick

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If one was a retard.

I mean simply if you are not an action game fan or if console ports drive you up the wall and you only enjoyed Alpha Protocol because of the lack of CRPG options, the incoming deluge of real CRPGs might make you not want to compromise on stuff like AP anymore.

I'm not really in that camp personally, as I enjoy action games as well and Obsidian is my bro. I could see the argument however.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Where is this heavy incline you're talking about? I swear I will boot up New Vegas and kill your floating robot ass if you so much as mention Kickstarter, Project Eternity, Torment or Age of Decadence or any other crowdfunded or independently developed niche game.

edit: This post is track 8 on my upcoming comedy album. The track is titled "Attitude".

Mitch Hedberg, R.I.P.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I enjoyed AP on my first playthrough, but I tried replaying it recently and everything about it was just... unbearable, from dialogue to gameplay. Sorry Obsidian, for I have betrayed thee :(

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Where is this heavy incline you're talking about? I swear I will boot up New Vegas and kill your floating robot ass if you so much as mention Kickstarter, Project Eternity, Torment or Age of Decadence or any other crowdfunded or independently developed niche game.

Well uh... I mean er... the uh...

Hmmm.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
I enjoyed AP on my first playthrough, but I tried replaying it recently and everything about it was just... unbearable, from dialogue to gameplay. Sorry Obsidian, for I have betrayed thee :(
You really are crooked.

I will call for some able-bodied donkeys to rip off your Codex cadet uniform's sleeves with their teeth.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I actually enjoyed AP more on subsequent playthroughs. :smug:

It's still bad though.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Skyrim is one of those games that I just can't finish because it just sucks so bad at precisely everything. Even the intro sequence pisses me off. They couldn't even make sure that when a character INTERRUPTS another character, the character who is interrupted stops talking. They couldn't even do that. So even though the stormcloak soldier is all HEY SHUT UP the cleric still rambles on. So fucking awkward. This is shit the unofficial patch guys should be looking into fixing because that is shit that seriously causes me to rage quit.

Meanwhile Alpha Protocol might have flaws but they are nowhere as bad as the flaws for a game rated 95/100.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I hate when you walk around in games but really you're just sitting in a chair. Ruins my immershun.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
Alpha Protocol is a massive flaw. Gunplay is shit, stealth is shit, levels are boring corridors. Really i don't know why anyone would want to play it again. Writing and C&C is the only thing which goes for AP. But it's more like a blooming flower in a pile of shit.

AngryKobold

Arcane
AP is what I believe to be personal hell awaiting a storyfag in afterlife. I totally see Satan himself laughing at ingenious design of the torture. Every single element of gameplay bringing nothing but torment and frustration. Yet there's a good story. So good it makes you feel bad after pressing alt+f4. Then you think: "damn, maybe it ain't that bad, I'm gonna try again". And Satan keeps laughing.

I bought it year ago :(

Lancehead

Liturgist
Then that means they named it wrong; doesn't make C&C not-major part of gameplay.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
In an "espionage rpg" - not a major part of the gameplay.

The Walking Dead is nothing but C&C, and acknowledged fake consequences to boot, and it won "game" of the year a ton of places. For a lot of people it is, indeed, enough.

That said I enjoyed AP because my character build made me super badass stealth pistol guy. It had good gameplay, for me personally.

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
I don't care if some fags enjoy clicking somewhere else. We are the Codex here. If we say AP is good for what it is - it will be a major decline. Shit must be recognised as such, even if we all played it... that one time... while drunk... you know... pity play? Even if MCA made it, Obsidian, whatever. Even if it was kinda "okay", because we were bored at that time. Gotta keep the standards high. And the thread title is 100% honest description of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom