Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien Swarm - On steam, for free

No way man. You stuck a pick-axe in my eye the last time I came near you.

Tails

Arbiter
MetalCraze said:
Yeah. I remember when we played it with St. Toxic, Satori, Ashery, Tails and Zerotol - I was sleepy as hell but... MUST PLAY. Incredibly fun simply because of all those WTF moments - like when after several hours of horrible suffering the mission is almost complete and some moron friendly fires a guy carrying an ammo box in a middle of a squad.
After 5 September I'm back from Holidays, show up your arse on Hamachi. Satori and Ashery is on Hamachi, BulMaster should joins us too.

Just logged to Codex to see if there is thread already about this and I'm not disappointed :) anyway, from what I've seen on screenshots and video, it could be completely different game then original, I just hope Steam didn't make Black Cat Games to dumb down this game for L4D crowd, thought 4 players max is first sign of it. Gonna try it after 5 September for sure, since it's free, thought I won't be surprised if it will work slow on my current rig.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Game will unlock in 2 hours.

Muty

Prophet
Patron
Wasteland 2 BattleTech
Tails said:
MetalCraze said:
Yeah. I remember when we played it with St. Toxic, Satori, Ashery, Tails and Zerotol - I was sleepy as hell but... MUST PLAY. Incredibly fun simply because of all those WTF moments - like when after several hours of horrible suffering the mission is almost complete and some moron friendly fires a guy carrying an ammo box in a middle of a squad.
After 5 September I'm back from Holidays, show up your arse on Hamachi. Satori and Ashery is on Hamachi, BulMaster should joins us too.

Just logged to Codex to see if there is thread already about this and I'm not disappointed :) anyway, from what I've seen on screenshots and video, it could be completely different game then original, I just hope Steam didn't make Black Cat Games to dumb down this game for L4D crowd, thought 4 players max is first sign of it. Gonna try it after 5 September for sure, since it's free, thought I won't be surprised if it will work slow on my current rig.

FUUU Tails
I'm on hamachi too and bul is a gigantic fag anyway.

relootz

Scholar
MetalCraze said:

Probably me :D

relootz

Scholar
Muty said:
Tails said:
MetalCraze said:

FUUU Tails
I'm on hamachi too and bul is a gigantic fag anyway.

What is this i am getting about network full. Do i need another Hamachi client or kick some alts on there.

:x

Multi-headed Cow

Oh god, greatest thing in this:
hats.jpg

HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats HATS hats

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Just started playing, completed the training mission and a starting mission with three of my friends. So far, so fun!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
kingcomrade said:
Would be nice if I could actually start downloading it. Steam servers are apparently swamped.

Yeah, I got in just before it happened. Two of my friends are stuck at 18kb/s at the minute.

Joghurt

Augur
I like the game. Just finished playing with some random people on Insane difficulty and I must say that this game is pretty damn hard. I haven't played the original mod which I hear from Codex was megaultraawesomely unforgiving and really hard, but from what I tried this new one it's pretty hard.

It's a shame there is only one campaign. I am pretty sure it's gonna get old and repetative pretty fast. Hope the modders will fix that.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Joghurt said:
I like the game. Just finished playing with some random people on Insane difficulty and I must say that this game is pretty damn hard. I haven't played the original mod which I hear from Codex was megaultraawesomely unforgiving and really hard, but from what I tried this new one it's pretty hard.

It's a shame there is only one campaign. I am pretty sure it's gonna get old and repetative pretty fast. Hope the modders will fix that.

It seems pretty obvious that this "free" game will cash in by micro-transacting additional campaigns.

If so, the few games me and the guys will squeeze out of it will have to suffice. If not, pleasant surprise.

Wulfstand

Prophet
Here i was thinking the 18 kbs-later on 200-400 kbs was because of something on my half. Meh, I'll probably give this a try, tho my free gaming time will still be mainly occupied by HoN.

Joghurt

Augur
Grunker said:
Joghurt said:

It seems pretty obvious that this "free" game will cash in by micro-transacting additional campaigns.

If so, the few games me and the guys will squeeze out of it will have to suffice. If not, pleasant surprise.

Yeah I thought of that too, but then I read that Valve are releasing SDK kit for this game too and that doesn't make any sense if they want to cash in money on additional campaigns because modders will just make their own campaigns/weapons/armors/skins or whatever there is to make.

I have a feeling that this free game is pretty much gonna stay free. I think Valve's plan was to release this one for free to attract more new people to Steam which is gonna bring in more sales of other games. I mean they did that once already with Portal when they released Steam for Mac and it was a huge success because shitloads of new Mac (and PC) users downloaded Steam because Portal was for free for a couple of days.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Joghurt said:
Grunker said:
Joghurt said:

Yeah I thought of that too, but then I read that Valve are releasing SDK kit for this game too and that doesn't make any sense if they want to cash in money on additional campaigns because modders will just make their own campaigns/weapons/armors/skins or whatever there is to make.

I have a feeling that this free game is pretty much gonna stay free. I think Valve's plan was to release this one for free to attract more new people to Steam which is gonna bring in more sales of other games. I mean they did that once already with Portal when they released Steam for Mac and it was a huge success because shitloads of new Mac (and PC) users downloaded Steam because Portal was for free for a couple of days.

I hope you're right, because we just finished another game, and damn, it was fun!

Gonna go to bed now, but I'll definetely be playing more tommorrow.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Grunker said:

This is Valve, not Activision we're talking about. All so called 'DLC' they ever released was free, I have no reason to believe that they'll start charging now.
Also, SDK.

Joghurt said:

That's my thought. Valve probably barely cares about releasing games anymore (for PC at least), they just want to be able to milk Steam more and more. Its like having a retail presence every where in the world simultaneously. Assuming the publisher is paid on steam sales the same amount they are paid on retail, Valve is making something like $15-25 on a $50 game sale.

At 30% right now. Download keeps chugging along at 150 KB/s then stopping for 10 minutes before picking up again.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Exactly. It's a marketing tool. Unlike most other publishers Valve can stay afloat without even publishing/selling games by way of Steam. Free quality game = more people drawn to Steam = more purchases = more time they can coast on profits. And yeah, thanks to the stupid TF2 hat thing it probably increased download demand by 500% -- best I can get is around 150 kbps from Hungary.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
Well, downloadan. Hope I can find some codexers around and my steam name is … Wait, what the fuck is my steam name?

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Just had a practice run. Visuals are pretty bad. When i read source i expected sharp texture and clean visuals and i got the exact opposite. Game looks like a freaking light show.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom