Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Alien Swarm - On steam, for free

MapMan

Arcane
I'm talking about the new game, on source engine. Back when it was announced, they wanted to make it a stand alone game on source engine. There was no progress for years, everyone thought the project was dead. I now accidentally came across it and looks like they're releasing it on 19th of july, for free! Also, under developer and publisher it says Valve :p

http://store.steampowered.com/app/630

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Nice. Will try it out. Maybe we could get some codex games rolling.

Multi-headed Cow

Well holy fuck. This was/is one of the best UT2004 mods, and I'm impressed to see the Source version A: isn't dead, and B: is free. I am going to download the fuck out of this.

Multi-headed Cow

Oh, just noticed. When you commented under developer and publisher being Valve, this is mentioned "Alien Swarm is a game and Source SDK release from a group of talented designers at Valve who were hired from the Mod community.".

So apparently Valve hired them and either let them finish the game or assisted them in finishing the game and released it for free because Valve is made up of rainbows and unicorns. I love Valve. :love:

Black

Arcane
STEAM
STEAEEMEMMME BLARRFGHLE
fffuuua.jpg

ElectricOtter

Awesome. Now it looks like I'll have something besides Tremulous to play :D

Multi-headed Cow

Metro said:
Free? People will still pirate it!
This is just, like, a plot by Valve to get people to use Steam, man. Doesn't bother me though because I can get it for the same price at pirate bay. :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug: :smug:
:smug:

:smug:

MetalCraze

Arcane
Yeah. I remember when we played it with St. Toxic, Satori, Ashery, Tails and Zerotol - I was sleepy as hell but... MUST PLAY. Incredibly fun simply because of all those WTF moments - like when after several hours of horrible suffering the mission is almost complete and some moron friendly fires a guy carrying an ammo box in a middle of a squad.

Ashery

Prophet
:love:

Hopefully we don't end up wasting four+ hours trying, and failing, to finish a single mission ;p

Good to see Valve is still fairly cool even if a bit consoletarded.

Since they are releasing the source code, I don't expect that any problems like the 4 player limit will stay in place for long.

barker_s

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Satori said:
Wow, so it's a devolution from the mod that was already bloody free?

Mod was free, UT2K4 wasn't. This game is free, Steam is also fucking free. And they are releasing SDK for it, so like Overweight Manatee said, people will mod the fuck out of it.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
MetalCraze said:
So is it standalone and not just a mod for HL2 (I'm too lazy to dig)?

You get it entirely for free -- you don't have to own another Source engine game.

Looks interesting , I'll definitely give this a try. I created a steam account anyway when they gave out Portal for free so why not.
Looks like it's got great moding potential to boot , awesome!

MapMan

Arcane
kingcomrade said:
Since it's free, probably. Ill be getting it.
I need to find another forum. I'm sick of playing with fucking Euros.

:lol:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Anyone who wants to play it and looks for ppl to play with him - add me to friends on Steam. Nick: Konjad

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom