Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition (AKA AoE2 HD HD)

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
This DLC is kind of bizarre tbh. Why not just fix and work on AoE1: DE?

This DLC is kind of bizarre tbh. Why not just fix and work on AoE1: DE?
Because they already tried that, and the game has newer problems now, and it didn't do as they hope it would.

I wonder if the pathfinding is hardcoded or something, because it's still pretty bad in AOE1DE.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
They didn't try very hard, let me tell you. The game was left in shambles pretty much and it's only worth playing for the campaigns and nostalgia. I suppose this is a way to get the first game into the hands of more people, but it's still paid content we already paid for with AoE1DE.

They didn't try very hard, let me tell you. The game was left in shambles pretty much and it's only worth playing for the campaigns and nostalgia. I suppose this is a way to get the first game into the hands of more people, but it's still paid content we already paid for with AoE1DE.
Well the piority was to get AOE2DE out. It's grown to be a decent game I'd say, but I hate how they abandoned AOE2 HD. The first and third game had several changes done to them and not all of them good ones.

Endemic

Arcane

If they offer a discount for AOE1: DE owners, then the additions are worthwhile.

3 new campaigns created specifically for Return of Rome. Sargon of Akkad (Sumerians), Pyrrhus of Epirus (Macedonians) and Trajan (Romans). With new missions to tackle and stories told through the familiar AoE II: DE style, you’ll be able to live more moments from history.

One new civilization, the Lac Viet. In honor and recognition of Rise of Rome’s phenomenal popularity in Vietnam, we’ve added a new civilization with Return of Rome. Adding something new for established and beginner players.

New D3 Game Mode. D3 is an homage to a fan favorite rule set that is now fully integrated into the game.  This rule set reduces rush tactics and allows players to start their early game more robustly, only allowing fighting with a single unit until entering the Bronze Age, ensuring players reach later Ages for equal battles.  This rule set also bans walls and towers, making for exciting match ups later in the game.

The Roman civilization will be playable in the main AoE II: DE title. If you’ve ever wondered how the Romans might fare against the Aztecs, now’s your opportunity to find out.

Experience Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition Quality of Life improvements to Age of Empires gameplay:

Gates
Formations
Trade carts
Improved pathfinding
UI improvements
Visual improvements
Spectator mode
An enhanced AI for computer opponents
And much more!

Last edited:

Shrimp

Arbiter
The Roman civilization will be playable in the main AoE II: DE title. If you’ve ever wondered how the Romans might fare against the Aztecs, now’s your opportunity to find out.
Does this mean Romans will be an actual playable civilisation in the real AoE2? I was under the impression this return to rome thing would be a separate game mode or something disconnected from the rest of AOE2

Does this mean Romans will be an actual playable civilisation in the real AoE2? I was under the impression this return to rome thing would be a separate game mode or something disconnected from the rest of AOE2
As per the other dlcs, you can play the new civs in normal games too.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I made a couple of these for the hell of it, I'm only a mid-elo player as I don't play that often and my group are mostly 1K-1.1K TG elo players so this isn't splitting the atom but a bit of a how to (or how to not) 2v2 Nomad

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This leads to all of Age of Empires campaigns being merged into a single game, nu-Hitman style.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Already bought it because I'm a nostalgia whore for AoE.

The ancient part of the DLC will be its own separate game mode, you can't play Assyrians vs Aztecs.
But there will be a Romans civ for AoE2, which will appear in the Attila and Alaric campaigns (where it makes sense for them to be).
According to the store description, they will be available in single player and unranked multiplayer, but not in ranked... which is weird. Multplayer-only players BTFO.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I was ok with all the previous dlc, including the street-shitting one, but this is lame. Just update AoE1 DE, you bums. For AoE2, give me slav/turk/viking campaigns, or something.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, this isn't a straight AOE 1 to AOE 2 as it sounds like the factions all are converted to the AOE 2 format of having unique units and techs.

Also, the three campaigns seem to be in the more narrative-heavy style of AOE2.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Already bought it because I'm a nostalgia whore for AoE.

The ancient part of the DLC will be its own separate game mode, you can't play Assyrians vs Aztecs.
But there will be a Romans civ for AoE2, which will appear in the Attila and Alaric campaigns (where it makes sense for them to be).
According to the store description, they will be available in single player and unranked multiplayer, but not in ranked... which is weird. Multplayer-only players BTFO.
It's possibly due to some new 'mechanics' being introduced with the Roman civ, and it could also have something to do with Tournaments such as King of the Desert V etc. Maybe they'll make them available after a balance update or two.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I wonder how much of the old aoe2 engine (things like pathfinding in particular) DE devs understand? Maybe all of it since it's a big franchise and big company, but it's been a long time.

In the case of the far smaller Age of Wonders 1 series, the AoW2 engine (came out in like 2002 or something after 1999 for the original) is an expansion of the first game's engine, but some features were removed, or not updated when they should obviously have been to keep up with stat inflation. They also lost the ability for Incarnates to retain their XP when possessing and popping out of new targets. And more recently they told a modder they lost the source code.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I wonder how much of the old aoe2 engine (things like pathfinding in particular) DE devs understand? Maybe all of it since it's a big franchise and big company, but it's been a long time.
:nocountryforshitposters:
Nigga,non of it lol. We are talking about 21st century people. The pathfinding and shit are vastly inferior in the DE than in the older ones lol. Modern programmers are pretty incompetent lot,they do lack any passion and do it only for the gibz.

Endemic

Arcane
:nocountryforshitposters:
Nigga,non of it lol. We are talking about 21st century people. The pathfinding and shit are vastly inferior in the DE than in the older ones lol. Modern programmers are pretty incompetent lot,they do lack any passion and do it only for the gibz.

Microsoft literally hired the creators of a fan expansion (Forgotten Empires) to help make HD and DE in the first place...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom