Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Reviews

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
ITS will be lucky if the average stays at 6/10. This has the potential to be the worst reviewed RPG of the decade, depending on who does the reviewing.

Implying it will be reviewed. The QT3 thing may just be a fluke.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yeah I honestly don't think the mainstream press will review it because of the "difficulty", they will die and give up.

They'll die in the opening vignette 4 times, start as a merchant and do some skill checks, then write the review.

Shin

Cipher
Yeah I honestly don't think the mainstream press will review it because of the "difficulty", they will die and give up.

There's a fair chance of some bad reviews coming out of that corner though. Most mainstream gaming press bureaus probably have some geezer in the back who "is a real old skool gamer who played BG2" who'll get frustrated in no time and blame it all on bad design.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
2FaiagA.png

Thanks, google.

Unwanted

†††

Patron
I think that when they complain about lack of choices they are actually complaining about a myriad of other things, from the teleports to the harsh skill checks and scarcity of SPs. Mostly these last two.

In RPS there was a moron complaining about being unable to build a jack-of-all-trades character, "illustrating" us that the meat and bone of a RPG are the hybrid characters. We enter this paradox where all that people wants in a RPG is being able to play as if it weren't a RPG title: Total badassity with no weak points. "I want choice, and I want my character to be awesome every time he/she makes a choice", also known as the Bethesda school. Choice is a supermarket with infinite money; choice for these people, doesn't need consequence, i.e. If I bring too many items at the cashier, I won't have enough money to play. That would be "immersion breaking" because immersion in the modern sense is to be completely unrealistic, as long as everything is beautiful.

RPG's are the most misunderstood genre out there.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
In RPS there was a moron complaining about being unable to build a jack-of-all-trades character, "illustrating" us that the meat and bone of a RPG are the hybrid characters. We enter this paradox where all that people wants in a RPG is being able to play as if it weren't a RPG title: Total badassity with no weak points. "I want choice, and I want my character to be awesome every time he/she makes a choice", also known as the Bethesda school. Choice is a supermarket with infinite money; choice for these people, doesn't need consequence, i.e. If I bring too many items at the cashier, I won't have enough money to play. That would be "immersion breaking" because immersion in the modern sense is to be completely unrealistic, as long as everything is beautiful.

RPG's are the most misunderstood genre out there.

That’s a damn shame. Maybe I’m naïve, but I think we are experience some positive changes after the kickstarter revival. Even if most of the kickstarted games are either mediocre or bad (IMO), at least they awakened cRPGs players who abandoned gaming after the decline.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Very good game, best in last year i played.

+++ recommend it, comrads.

(we never say "comrads" but i type it here and to other foreigners because we in Russia are expected to say it).

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
wtf is that desktop

very :monocle: games though

I recognise that picture, that's Christopher Hitchens brother Peter Hitchens being horrified by something that somehow broke through the tumblr dimension and escaped into the real world.

Is that really something one leaves lying around on his desktop?

You'd be surprised. I was doing a short film once, with a really good-looking young 20-something female director. There was a scene where I was tapping away at a laptop - the one that they had planned for me to use kept reflecting the lights (shiny black surface) and creating camera flare, so the cinematographer swapped it out with the director's personal laptop.

Partway through filming the scene, the director realises, and says nervously 'Umm...you're just fake typing aren't you. You're not, like, looking through my stuff, right?'.

Me: 'No, no of course not' [proceeds immediately to start looking through her stuff].

Short-cut link on the desktop goes straight to some filthy filthy shit (apparently she has a thing for petite blonde girls getting gang-banged by about 20 or so black dudes). I spend the rest of the scene trying to keep a poker expression, while looking to and from the shit in this girl's laptop to her slightly worried 'is he looking through my stuff, he hasn't said anything so probably not' expression and back again.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
"I tagged the game as ‘future interest’ last week, it didn’t seem to be my type of game at first, but I also like to try different genres for their experience. The example that comes to mind is Gone Home. I’m not much into exploration game, but the atmosphere in this game was great and the world felt alive; a good couple hours of gaming."

AoD- it's like Gone Home.:thumbsup:

Mychkine

Educated
The Canard PC revieuw is disappointing, especially from a newspaper who gave 9/10 to wasteland 2. As the revewer himelfs says, he is not a RPG fan and he knows RPG fans will not concur to his opinion. At least they should have given 2 different scores, one for RPG fans and another for 'regular' gamers. Let's hope this is not a sign of a normalization of Canard PC.

Perkel

Arcane
I think it doesn't really matter what mainpress writes as most of the sales will be coming from word of mouth.

This is why i said that ITS shouldn't lower price in long time. As peoples top10 for their best games will go up in coming months and years more people will start to play it.

It is tempting to lower the price for quick bux but prospect of more money in long run should be priority for them as to keep them afloat until next game releases.

Once they will build portfolio of games they won't need huge sales as their old games will keep generating profits as long as they won't lower game prices to something like $1.99

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
I think it doesn't really matter what mainpress writes as most of the sales will be coming from word of mouth.

This is why i said that ITS shouldn't lower price in long time. As peoples top10 for their best games will go up in coming months and years more people will start to play it.

Absolutely agree! for games like this, who is limited in audience from start there is no sence to do it. Actually it can send wrong signal today - "Indie? Sales? Shit!", so no about sales.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom