Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Against the Chris Avellone personality cult

Neanderthal

Arcane
MCA seems a nice bloke but i'm not really bothered about his personality, I like some o his design principles an most o his character design: When a bloke can write companions who are as complicated as Grace an Da'akon, an then on flipside have vulgar foils like Morte, an straight shootin workin joes like Cass from New Vegas well i've gotta admire their range.

For me though I wanna see his design principles extended, wi each element reinforcin t'other, mechanics reflectin narrative, narrative feedin into themes, themes bein explored mechanically, an companions who represent some aspect on all on em. Too many games are disjointed an illogical, doin shit because its traditional, one o most refreshin things about Torment for instance were no fuckin potions at last, charms, bandages, needle an thread, tattoos were all simple enough replacements but you're fucked if you'll see another developer strayin away from their mechanical safe spaces.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
bv9N3P52.jpg

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
so is it socially acceptable to call MCA mean names from now on
NO. But it is advised not to worship an idol and since he is idolised, it is hard for him to live up to the expectations.
Those here who grew up in the 80's-90s, have become accustomed to worshipping, many, figures within the industry. There's only so many times you can trust companies, after you've seen 90% lobotomised by some larger stakeholder - especially when it's willingly.

Richard Garriott is fascinating though. Keeps getting killed and coming back, re-branded, missing parts of his ability, has flashbacks of something he calls "Origin" - never the same man he was...

:lol:

DeepOcean

Arcane
MCA, on many of his interviews said of not "offending" other people because the gamming industry is an small world and this could cost you job opportunities. I had the feel of such talks that he isn't an SJW believer to the bone that only think on this shit 100% of the day but a non confrontational guy.

Right now the dominant culture on the western world, at least on the media/entertainment media world, is libtardism. If you don't spew libtardism, you won't get a job, if you say something "wrong" the vultures will swarm over you and most people are too preocupied into making money so they won't risk their skin defending you. Many people or don't understand the importance of politics or don't want to make career seppuku over discussions on the internet. Are those people cowards? Maybe yes but it is easy to judge someone a coward when you yourself have nothing you care about to lose. While being labelled a raycist doesn't bother someone like Trump, a raycist label can damage the job opportunities and career of an not so powerful guy, especially on the entertainment industry.

Why do you think the pink hair land whales use this raycist label so much on the slightest disagreement? Because they are psychos that aren't above making you lose your job just because they have different opinions than you. You can't count on employers courage to face such attacks when they could hire other guys that wouldn't cause them so much trouble. So, are people coward SJW enablers or the entire system is rotten from top to bottom?

It is that old culture war that the commie tards always talked about.

The pink hair land whale oppression on California is dangerous, many decide to just say whatever satisfy the pink hair monsters and live their lives. I don't have radical libtard friends because they disgust me but that is an option I have personally but I can't demand that every single client of mine be of the same political views of mine because I can't force people to abandon their opinions doesn't matter how retarded I think they are and they aren't seeking me for political advice and I'm not an special snowflake genius which opinions should always be respected.

There are only two options, you continue with your life, help the anti-libtard incline when you can and ignore other people BS or just demand every single taxi driver, store clerk, doctor, writer, cook, singer or etc. you will meet to be magically of the same opinion of yours. This will ever happen doesn't matter how much you care about it, you will end on a shack isolated on the woods if you hope human beings to stop being retards because you want them to. I think it will only be safer to people to talk their minds on the entertaining industry, especially on places like California, when this whole anti-libtard movement grows more and they have support and someone to defend them. When more companies have open anti libtard positions and nothing happens to them then we will see how many actually believe on the SJW nonsense or are just afraid of it.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
lol dumbasses Gann was one of the best characters thematically (literally from nowhere, but his class and his thoughts made him special. I haven't seen such synergy between character, his class, his personality and dialogue since Ignus), while Kreia elevated the whole fucking starwars universe (her fucking dialogue with atris: "You betrayed yourself" or "it is a quiet thing to fall, but far more terrible to admit it" were fucking priceless. She was like joda, but was an actual person instead of "some old fortune cookie type" character, whos fucking input were tai chi one liners(think old excidium). If lucas arts could have a coherent thought it would have made her fucking canon...

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Why do you think the pink hair land whales use this raycist label so much on the slightest disagreement? Because they are psychos that aren't above making you lose your job just because they have different opinions than you. You can't count on employers courage to face such attacks when they could hire other guys that wouldn't cause them so much trouble. So, are people coward SJW enablers or the entire system is rotten from top to bottom?

This is a feature of all ideologies. Trump himself regularly fires people for disagreeing with him.

bminorkey

he is probably one of the best "CRPG"-genre writers, but there are better RPG writers in the industry

i respect the guy but i think he is definitely surpassable.

by the way, i really didn't like Durance

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
He wrote Durance - a man who hates women, despises foreigners and non-human races, and considers CLEANSE THEM WITH FIRE a perfectly valid way to deal with people who worship the wrong gods.

Durance doesn't hate women. If anything he is the archetype of a white knight beta-male that cucks himself before Magran and worships her like a goddess, even though she casts him aside. I also don't recall anything about him hating non-humans... or at least no more than is typical of anyone else in the game. The MC can be any race and it causes no issues with him, although he does have some level of animosity towards Eder, but Eder is a fellow meadow human like himself, so this is probably more to do with being on opposite sides in the war and following different deities than anything else.

So I feel that Durance is a bad example to make your case. But I do know of a better example Chris Avellone wrote that you could have used instead...

15%2B-%2B1

Legate Lanius is one of the most un-SJW characters of all time. Here is a real alpha man who understands that a woman's place is in the kitchen - or nailed to a cross. Lanius would not cuck himself to a "goddess" the way that Durance has.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
If anything he is the archetype of a white knight beta-male that cucks himself before Magran and worships her like a goddess, even though she casts him aside

Not every male-female interaction has to be sexual, Christ Avellzero.

Sexual or not, he clearly pines for her, but the love is unrequited. Eder was similarly a follower of Eothas, but Eder wasn't in love with Eothas. Durance's feelings towards Magran go beyond what the relationship of a deity and its worshiper is supposed to be. You're supposed to love your god/godess, but you aren't supposed to be in love with it. And this is why Durance is such a strange and mentally disturbed character. There are lots of men in real life who behave towards women as Durance does in Magran, and these men are called cucks/beta-males/etc. Neverminding the fact that Magran is a deity, even if she were a mortal woman, she would likely still have nothing to do with Durance, except maybe as a shoulder to cry on, when an alpha-male dumps her.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I am really concerned about this line of dialog in Siege of Dragonspear. Every morning I wake up screaming at Beamdog and cursing Avellonne for having even a passive involvement with this.
I wish my wife was more understandings and that my parents didn't look at me strangely when I complain about this tranny character in a video game.

I did try to explain her that this is the first step toward dictatorship and that they would not need to be surprised when they end up in a liberal death camp but to no avail.

Trump should deport Avellonne immediately if he knows what's good for the country.

bminorkey

by the way, i really didn't like Durance
But do you know why you don't like Durance? I this by decision or by accident?

i didn't know he was written by avellone when i encountered him so i guess it's by accident. he's just not very interesting to me. i got over the whole theological questioning thing in college so couldn't empathize with his plight very much. his sarcasm/monologues felt too long and forced and his language was too flowery and mystic, never ever getting to the point (i get that this is intentional). just a really annoying character

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
He wrote Durance - a man who hates women, despises foreigners and non-human races, and considers CLEANSE THEM WITH FIRE a perfectly valid way to deal with people who worship the wrong gods.

Durance doesn't hate women. If anything he is the archetype of a white knight beta-male that cucks himself before Magran and worships her like a goddess, even though she casts him aside. I also don't recall anything about him hating non-humans... or at least no more than is typical of anyone else in the game. The MC can be any race and it causes no issues with him, although he does have some level of animosity towards Eder, but Eder is a fellow meadow human like himself, so this is probably more to do with being on opposite sides in the war and following different deities than anything else.

So I feel that Durance is a bad example to make your case. But I do know of a better example Chris Avellone wrote that you could have used instead...

15%2B-%2B1

Legate Lanius is one of the most un-SJW characters of all time. Here is a real alpha man who understands that a woman's place is in the kitchen - or nailed to a cross. Lanius would not cuck himself to a "goddess" the way that Durance has.

Woman's place is nailed to a cross? Your retardation aside, would you like to see your mother, sister or daughter crucified?
Are you really that retarded, you simple minded Beta prick? If you're an Alpha you don't need to shout, hit, beat or humiliate a woman she obeys. But she also must feel safe. If you understand Alpha as an domestic abuser you're AS SMART AS A BRICK YOU PERVERTED DUMBFUCK, that should warrant a tag in my opinion.

Last edited:

PEACH

Arbiter
Woman's place is nailed to a cross? Your retardation aside, would you like to see your mother, sister or daughter crucified?
Are you really that retarded, you simple minded Beta prick? If you're an Alpha you don't need to shout, hit, beat or humiliate a woman she obeys. But she also must feel safe. If you understand Alpha as an domestic abuser you're AS SMART AS A BRICK YOU PERVERTED DUMBFUCK, that should warrant a tag in my opinion.

so should I let my girl off the cross now or what? being alpha is complicated

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

so should I let my girl off the cross now or what? being alpha is complicated
It is when you're a Beta. It's like when you were little and were trying on your father's shoes. lol @ angry betas.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom