Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Information Action RPG Mars: War Logs Released

Avantre

Educated
Have played it for a few hours. It's okay. Nothing incredible, but good enough that I don't regret the money I spent. Above average bordering on good, I guess.

Dialogue can get a bit funky at times (minor grammatical errors, probably translation related) but is mostly fine. Combat is action-rpg standard but has a few extra things for some enemies such as needing to switch up attacks (or the enemy starts guarding), enemies that can be only be attacked from the back or wear shields, or otherwise sometimes protect themselves from your special attacks (you have a throw-sand-in-face attack, for example, but some guys wear goggles and so are immune). Quests are a bit fetch-and-grab, but there are a decent amount where you seem to be able to choose outcomes - choosing to cure or kill something for example.

Avantre

Educated
Rarely do you see them set $20 price points. Developers without publishers, sure. But games with a publisher? Usually a warning flag that they realize they can't charge more than $20 base for a shitty game.

In this case I think it's so cheap due to length (I've seen estimates of 15 hours or so). It's not a huge sandbox kind of game.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
You're not following me. Typically a publisher will jack up the prices. Rarely do you see them set $20 price points. Developers without publishers, sure. But games with a publisher? Usually a warning flag that they realize they can't charge more than $20 base for a shitty game.

No advertising, small studio(?), digital distribution...

There's good money to be made if you can escape the AAA+ trap.

Gozma

Arcane
The woman in the video sounds like a text-to-speech program... am I having a stroke help

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Cyberpunk? More like Sci-Fantasy. Magic powers, mutated monsters and awsum 3rd person combat. From the video it looks like Dragon Age 2 with a red filter. :(

Ogg

Prophet
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
If this game has to be compared to an AAA game, it would be Witcher 2.
Nearly the same combat system with 4 types of attack : normal, block, evade, break guard + some magic and items (bomb and traps that you can craft).
Nearly the same game structure with one very linear main quest but in a somehow open area, thus many secondary quests.
Nearly the same art (overuse of bump mapping, HDR and fog) though in space, obviously.
Nearly the same level of maturity with some political shenanigans, "touchy" themes like racism and religion and of course sexual tension and 4-letter words.

Overall, not a bad game. Definitely worth the 19€, but not much more.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Ogg hit in on the head.

Really, I'm happy to pay $19 just to play an RPG that doesn't have swords and dragons. Not as clever as Alpha Popamole, but still fun.

Avantre

Educated
A group of tough guys who hate you enough to attack you en masse but with enough honor to only do it one by one. Plus horrid dialogue and very unfinished-looking animations. More European shovelware.
That link shows the first (tutorial) fight, the game goes easy on you for that one. They definitely gang up on you later on, and soon enough some will hang back and shoot at you while others engage you from front and back at the same time.

Stabwound

Arcane
I can't bring myself to have any kind of enthusiasm for 3rd person action RPGs anymore and I'm pretty surprised everyone is being so positive about this shit. I'd rather bide my time and wait for the upcoming incline. :smug:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I bothered to download it, some impressions:

1. party size is limited to 2 (even when you get more companions half way through the game)
2. combat is crap
3. Skill trees and Perk options are limited and not very interesting
4. Items are very limited and very few vendors ingame
5. crafting is not bad and actually allows some choices
6. levels open up a bit in the second hub but are mostly corridors with an annoying amount of backtracking
7. so far only a single quest was half decent, tracking down a serial killer
8. writing and characters are worse than the mass effect crap they are trying to emulate
9. game is melee based, shooting your gun is an ability and ridiculously underpowered. If your going to make it a pain in the ass to actually shoot someone, make it so it's powerful.
10. the setting itself is somewhat interesting but not very fleshed out, a lot of terms are thrown around but not explained. You know there is a war, but who is fighting it, for what reasons and how mars ended up the shit hole it is, why are there shrimp dogs, why are there mutants, are mostly left unexplained
11. 20€ is way to much for the game, and that should tell you all you need to know.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That link shows the first (tutorial) fight, the game goes easy on you for that one. They definitely gang up on you later on, and soon enough some will hang back and shoot at you while others engage you from front and back at the same time.
Since it's a tutorial fight it really should have just been two guys then. Beat up one, the other tries to avenge. Having a group just stand there to cheer on as you stomp them one by one is just odd.

LusciousPear

Savant
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Combat gets more clusterfucky as the game goes on. Mosdef gaps in the setting, which is a shame because it has such potential. Still, enjoying it. Deserves some kinda money.

Avantre

Educated
Since it's a tutorial fight it really should have just been two guys then. Beat up one, the other tries to avenge. Having a group just stand there to cheer on as you stomp them one by one is just odd.
It's basically one guy per combat concept (basic attack, guard breaking, defending, etc). Having said that: don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the combat (later on you start to roll around a lot to stay alive long enough to win).

If this game has to be compared to an AAA game, it would be Witcher 2.
Nearly the same combat system with 4 types of attack : normal, block, evade, break guard + some magic and items (bomb and traps that you can craft).
Nearly the same game structure with one very linear main quest but in a somehow open area, thus many secondary quests.
Nearly the same art (overuse of bump mapping, HDR and fog) though in space, obviously.
Nearly the same level of maturity with some political shenanigans, "touchy" themes like racism and religion and of course sexual tension and 4-letter words.

Overall, not a bad game. Definitely worth the 19€, but not much more.

Plus

That dialogue. Just... lol

4aRkCGU.jpg

Looks like it'll be GOTY 2013 for the codex:thumbsup:

Unwanted

bot

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Queued
The game doesn't seem cyberpunkish in the least. Low budget Mass Mars Effect. I'll wait for a kodex review.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Really, I'm happy to pay $19 just to play an RPG that doesn't have swords and dragons.

Fucking this.
The video basically confirms Codex verdict so far, nothing special but it's not about stupid wizards and dragons, god be praised, and the story doesn't seem half bad either.
So sick with all this fantasy bullshit that I'm tempted to buy this just for the SF setting. I could even stomach the combat, dialogues and the corridorish nature of the damn thing.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

Multi-headed Cow

Fucking magnets, how do they work?

(moments away from buying this. watched that video you linked, talked to a bro playing, listened to my erection. all signs point toward buying videogame)
Mildly disappointed it's using Twitcher combat instead of Game of Thrones combat but I'll live.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Fucking magnets, how do they work?

(moments away from buying this. watched that video you linked, talked to a bro playing, listened to my erection. all signs point toward buying videogame)
Mildly disappointed it's using Twitcher combat instead of Game of Thrones combat but I'll live.

Same here.
How's GoT combat btw? How does it differ from the Bitcher?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom