Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

about ME1

circ

Arcane
sea said:
The original Mass Effect is probably worth a play if you like 70s-80s sci-fi and don't mind some incredible derp from time to time.
I like 70s-80s sci-fi. Then again I like 40s-50s-60s sci-fi too. I like all kinds of movies and am no sci-fi buff. If all good movies were sci-fi's then maybe, but that's not the case. Silent Running = good sci-fi. Danny AssBoyle's Sunshine = shitty sci-fi and shitty horror. All that said, there's nothing sci-fi in ME in the first place. There are very few games with believable sci-fi that doesn't just feel like window dressing. Cut-scenes with a ship flying, oh so sci-fi. Guy shooting various projectile weapons, not very sci-fi since they didn't expand on them at all. Biotics and other feats, could as well be magic seeing how badly and unimaginatively it's implemented. Space squids that act like herpderp Cthulhu creations, not very sci-fi. Geth, zombies with metal skin, not very sci-fi. None of the races feel like anything else than humans in various suits. BioWare just can't write. Anything.

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Metro said:
Both games are mediocre at best. I can't believe people are arguing over their distinctions. Both play like adventure games (sans puzzles) with shitty tacked on cover shooter combat (don't tell me ME1 isn't a cover shooter, it's fucking designed in the game, the fact that you don't have to use it just means it's too easy) and half-hearted RPG elements.
Shit vs Shit, which is shittier and why?

Mass Effect 1, because.

TripJack

Hedonist
sea said:
The original Mass Effect is probably worth a play if you like 70s-80s sci-fi and don't mind some incredible derp from time to time.

ha

as far as i recall, there was still plenty of fantastic sci fi coming out in that period, both in book and film form, that shits all over garbage like mass effect

i think i will just go ahead and correct your statement

the correct version said:
The original Mass Effect is probably worth a play if you like shitty generic science fiction (lol hey guises its ELEMENT ZERRRO) and don't mind incredible derp every time a character opens his her or its mouth

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS WHY SHOULD THEY TRY HARDER WHEN YOU FAGS LAP UP MEDIOCRE SHIT LOLLOLLOLOL EVEN THE HARDCORE ELITISTS TRIP OVER THERE DICKS TO PLAY MASS EFFECT OH YEAH JUST TO SEE HOW BAD IT IS

BROS THIS THREAD IS ANOTHER CODEX AMERICAN BEAUTY REHASH ITS LIKE OH BRO YOU ARE SUCH A FAGGOT I WILL SUCK YOUR DICK WAIT BRO YOU MEAN YOU ARENT FULL GAY WELL DIE YOU FAGGOT

OHOOHOH MASS EFFECT YOU PEACE OF SHIT YOU SUCK SO BAD LET ME SUCK YOU OFF MORE OH WAIT YOU ARE POPAMOLE I WANT TO FUCK YOU SO BAD BUT I HAVE TO HATE YOU TO LOOK COOL I WOLL JUST PUNCH YOU IN THE STOMACH WHEN YOU BLOW ME

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
TripJack said:
ha

as far as i recall, there was still plenty of fantastic sci fi coming out in that period, both in book and film form, that shits all over garbage like mass effect

i think i will just go ahead and correct your statement
Mass Effect is, aesthetically and to a lesser degree thematically, science fiction... just as you might call Zookeeper a "comedy" or Lethal Weapon 4 an "action movie". Doesn't mean it has to be particularly good (though I wouldn't say Mass Effect is quite that bad); I never said it was some sort of crown jewel of the medium, only that if you like mainstream/pop-culture science fiction stuff, you'll probably find at the very least a familiar point of reference in its universe or characters. Metropolis or 2001 it is not, hell, it can't even compete with Star Trek or the Twilight Zone, but... well, I guess it's not Plan 9?

Ermm

Erudite
BLOBERT said:
BROS WHY SHOULD THEY TRY HARDER WHEN YOU FAGS LAP UP MEDIOCRE SHIT LOLLOLLOLOL EVEN THE HARDCORE ELITISTS TRIP OVER THERE DICKS TO PLAY MASS EFFECT OH YEAH JUST TO SEE HOW BAD IT IS

BROS THIS THREAD IS ANOTHER CODEX AMERICAN BEAUTY REHASH ITS LIKE OH BRO YOU ARE SUCH A FAGGOT I WILL SUCK YOUR DICK WAIT BRO YOU MEAN YOU ARENT FULL GAY WELL DIE YOU FAGGOT

OHOOHOH MASS EFFECT YOU PEACE OF SHIT YOU SUCK SO BAD LET ME SUCK YOU OFF MORE OH WAIT YOU ARE POPAMOLE I WANT TO FUCK YOU SO BAD BUT I HAVE TO HATE YOU TO LOOK COOL I WOLL JUST PUNCH YOU IN THE STOMACH WHEN YOU BLOW ME

Well, you're especially sucking Mass Effect's dick, because you're the one who says that it is hardcore Sci-fi :smug: I admit I played Mass Effect, but uninstalled after the first 2 hours because I don't believe the highly flawed ''finish what you started.''

sea said:
i think i will just go ahead and correct your statement Mass Effect is, aesthetically and to a lesser degree thematically, science fiction... just as you might call Zookeeper a "comedy" or Lethal Weapon 4 an "action movie". Doesn't mean it has to be particularly good (though I wouldn't say Mass Effect is quite that bad); I never said it was some sort of crown jewel of the medium, only that if you like mainstream/pop-culture science fiction stuff, you'll probably find at the very least a familiar point of reference in its universe or characters. Metropolis or 2001 it is not, hell, it can't even compete with Star Trek or the Twilight Zone, but... well, I guess it's not Plan 9?

Well, does that mean that I suddenly have to like Stargate, because it is not plan 9? Plan 9, at it's very beginning was supposed to be a cookie-cutter sci-fi horror movie, Mass Effect on the other hand was supposed to be a grimdarkscifithrillerspaceactiondramafantasy, with a ''real character emotions'' and ''cinematic flow'' or that's what generic suit Nr.1xxxx wants for you to believe.

And why does ME suddenly is classified as 80s scifi? Is that because main hero is a stereotypical meathead, who sometimes acts like a steretypical 80s action character?

Sulimo

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
Sceptic said:
At least one is, to my knowledge, not skippable. Liara's Dig Site with a Simon Says laser drill.
Mmm, I don't even remember this one... Which is weird, because I remember the Tower of Hanoi one. Or more accurately the rage when I saw the ToH one, followed by intense relief when I noticed it was skippable. Thank Bioware for small favors.

How can you rage about the tower of hanoi? it's solvable in like 5 steps. It sucks that it's in every other Bioware game, but I can't get worked up about it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom