Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Abandonware is abandoned!

Antagonist

Liturgist
I really wish they would open up development a bit. Many bugs at this point sound trivial and could probably be quickly fixed by a motivated person with only limited knowledge of the modding tools.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member

MetalCraze

Arcane
It won't die until the last retard will realize that he sucks their cock for nothing. Knowing their forum visitors it may not happen.

qliveur

Educated
Ex-retard, here.

I downloaded the beta as soon as I knew that it had been leaked, but I gave them six months to at least show some effort and when the buildmaster went AWOL for three months I decided that I'd had enough of their bullshit and went ahead and played the damn thing. So yeah, I'm a "thief".

I was rather underwhelmed, but I kind of expected that. Nothing could ever live up to that much hype.

Infernaeus

Novice
qliveur said:
I was rather underwhelmed, but I kind of expected that. Nothing could ever live up to that much hype.

To be fair, I think almost all of the cut content was made readily available in Scorchy's LP along with a few other places (and on the disks themselves for those who cared to look around). I was rather pleased with the mod, but that's because I already knew what was going to be in it and had eagerly awaited it for awhile.

The Genius

Educated
I'm amazed anyone would actually still be waiting. I don't have KOTOR2 installed but if I ever do again, I'll be sure to download the leak.

Why the hell not?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
But whatever the restoration project you get for the game -

how will it remove the level scaling from KotOR 2, where even quest rewards were scaled to your level (low level - lightsaber part, high level - lightsaber)? The very fact that high level characters would be dumped with high power equipment, and a low level character had no initiative to explore and find better stuff?

Infernaeus

Novice
The lightsaber is the only instance I can think of where the level scaling is obvious. Aside from that, I've gotten sith war swords and Mandalorian Assault Armour before leaving Telos.

qliveur

Educated
Actually, I think that the type of lightsaber reward is linked to whether or not the PC has acquired a lightsaber yet and not to the PC's level. As to the random loot question, I don't believe that the RP deals with this issue at all.
Infernaeus said:
qliveur said:

To be fair, I think almost all of the cut content was made readily available in Scorchy's LP along with a few other places (and on the disks themselves for those who cared to look around). I was rather pleased with the mod, but that's because I already knew what was going to be in it and had eagerly awaited it for awhile.
As did I. I was a longtime follower of the project and knew exactly what was and wasn't going to be in it. I guess that I should have pointed out that my feeling underwhelmed was the result of the fact that I've played around with most of the major mods for both KotORs and found that T-G's work was really nothing special when compared to the best of them. I found "Kaevee" to be a worthless addition that adds nothing whatsoever to the story and the Genoharadan plot to have a "scabbed on" feel to it that is only redeemed by it's providing a premise for the wonderful cutscene aboard the Ebon Hawk prior to reaching Malachor.

In conclusion, I found that there isn't nearly enough additional content to justify such a long development period, and what was there was so God-damned buggy that it leaves me wondering just what the Hell they've been doing for all of this time other than jerking off to all of the unwarranted praise while sadistically stringing everyone along. Lying, motherfucking attention whores. :roll:

Well, enough ranting over things beyond my control. Now on to something constructive. Speaking of mods, anyone who was disappointed (for good reason) with the combat difficulty in TSL should really try these out:

Beancounter's Hardcore Mod

Stoffe's Improved Combat AI

You'll have to merge these two at the script level using KotOR Tool to make them compatible with one another because they utilize the same script, but you will get the the best results this way. Otherwise you'll have to choose between the two. If you go that route, I would recommend the Hardcore Mod as it has a bigger impact on the difficulty. The Improved AI is great, though, because not only does it make your enemies smarter, but your party NPCs as well.

Last but not least there is Darth Shan's Difficulty Options, which gives you a wider selection of difficulty levels in-game. This comes in very handy because TSL's balance is still broken. It tends to "seesaw" like crazy and the mods that I mentioned above make this "seesawing" even more pronounced.

These mods are compatible with TSLRP and help to make the gameplay a lot more interesting.

qliveur

Educated
An excellent question. I think that one or some of the retired modders over at Holowan would have probably done so by now if such an undertaking wouldn't break the "modder's code" of stealing another modder's work.

But, IMO, it really wouldn't be any different than what T-G has been doing with Obsidian's work, now would it? ;)

TBH, I'm so pissed about this whole thing that I'd do it myself if I could script worth a damn. But I am also aware that doing so would only serve to feed the attention-whoring, drama-queen of a beast that is T-G and particular members of their fanbase. In my experience, people like them get off on any type of attention, positive or negative, and the most effective way to deal with them is to ignore them.

bat_boro

Arcane
I'm thinking of going through KOTOR 2 again and I want to know if this leaked version of the restoration mod is going to give me any headaches?

bat_boro said:
I'm thinking of going through KOTOR 2 again and I want to know if this leaked version of the restoration mod is going to give me any headaches?

Not really, the only troublesome parts are when you're up against the HK-50 models which seem to have 3x the normal health and a glitch at the Nihilus scene where if you choose to sacrifice Visas you have to shut down the game, but that's it insofar as my play through revealed.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
bat_boro said:

Is the restoration mod abandoned?

bat_boro

Arcane
I don't know, I just didn't want to start yet another thread about it and decided to write in this one instead.

Satori said:
bat_boro said:

Not really, the only troublesome parts are when you're up against the HK-50 models which seem to have 3x the normal health and a glitch at the Nihilus scene where if you choose to sacrifice Visas you have to shut down the game, but that's it insofar as my play through revealed.

Thanks for the answer.

Another thing I would like to know is are there any good mods that I should consider installing beside the restoration mod?
And what about something that makes the game a little prettier?

dragonfk

Erudite
bat_boro said:
I don't know, I just didn't want to start yet another thread about it and decided to write in this one instead.

Satori said:
bat_boro said:

Thanks for the answer.

Another thing I would like to know is are there any good mods that I should consider installing beside the restoration mod?

Prettier? You dont play any of the KOTOR games for graphics. If this is your requirement you should try with Oblivion or Fallout 3. And I believe there are none, though last time I checked mods for KOTOR2 I was rather looking for gameplay mods like new Force Powers, better AI mod and/or difficulty mod(increasing health of your opponents, trust me that KOTOR2 can be a difficult game with mods).

Deleted Member 10432

bat_boro said:

Satori said:
bat_boro said:

Thanks for the answer.

There are two (frankly fugly) "Graphical Enhancement" mods knocking about somewhere, which change the textures. Other than that, there's loads of robe/armour reskins (most are bad) and some OK weapon models around.

qliveur

Educated
Fugliness motion seconded. They're just way too over-the-top for my taste. Some people like them, though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom