Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News A new Age of Wonders in the making?

Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap clap*
:avatard:

Sad, but what did you expect? Kids haven't even heard of AoW. I hope it's a new glorious AoW game, with depth and complexity and magical graphics and atmosphere, like AoW 1 and 2. Or Heroes 3 map. I liked Overlord games btw, despite their simplistic gameplay, they weren't bad. Same can't be said for a lot of nextgen games sadly. So I won't be too disappointed if it turns out to be a next Overlord game (but still hopefully not).

catfood

AGAIN
Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap clap* Overlord! *clap clap clap*

Sad, but what did you expect? Kids haven't even heard of AoW. I hope it's a new glorious AoW game, with depth and complexity and magical graphics and atmosphere, like AoW 1 and 2. Or Heroes 3 map. I liked Overlord games btw, despite their simplistic gameplay, they weren't bad. Same can't be said for a lot of nextgen games sadly. So I won't be too disappointed if it turns out to be a next Overlord game (but still hopefully not).
The sad thing is that if this isn't a Kickstarter then there's little hope of this being any good, even if it is an AOW game. It could very well end up being some multi-platform trash without any complexity of the originals. And that would make catfood even sadder than if no AOW game were to be made ever again.

The sad thing is that if this isn't a Kickstarter then there's little hope of this being any good, even if it is an AOW game. It could very well end up being some multi-platform trash without any complexity of the originals. And that would make catfood even sadder than if no AOW game were to be made ever again.

We'll see, it's not yet the time to abandon ship. ;)

When they start revealing more about the game... Then we can :x if it is indeed :decline:.

But you're probably right, it will be some next gen crap to appeal to a wider audience.

I never understood the appeal of game making in the next gen style, that have a solid fanbase like strategy. I mean you alienate most of the fans, and new kids aren't even interested in such games. All they want is FPS, TPS and romances. There's where the money lies if you want next gen.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Wow, they made Overlord, too? Talk about a disconnect in genres.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
For real?
Thief 3, Deus Ex, Jazzy Jackrabbit 2, Tyrian 2000, AoW, Mask of the Betrayer, Unreal?

The Siren? *clap clap clap*

Zeriel

Arcane
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/55509138/Project X Preview.mp3

Preview of a song in the soundtrack

And yes the AOW1, Deus Ex, UT composer is back

Seems to me, at least music wise, that's we'll get new Age of Wonders. :incline:

Nice music, but...

I don't know, the tone doesn't seem AOW.

It reminds me of AoW 2, esp. Shadow Magic. I really preferred the music (and everything else) in AoW 1. On that topic, most .mod/chiptune era music doesn't hold up well, but the best does have a charm I have yet to see matched in the more modern stuff by the same composers.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Press Release said:
Triumph Studios Announces Age of Wonders III
The critically acclaimed fantasy series makes its long prophesied return, taking its strategy/RPG formula to the next level, powered by a new proprietary 3D engine.

DELFT, the Netherlands, February 6th 2013 – Triumph Studios, the team behind the successful Overlord and Age of Wonders series, today revealed Age of Wonders 3 for PC. The third Age of Wonders marks a modern reimagining of the series, where players join a clash of kings, queens and dark lords for the spoils of an ancient paradise. By introducing unique RPG-inspired classes and specializations, players are able to craft empires of their own design, developing unique strategies and play styles. The world-changing conflict plays out on sweeping landscapes, loaded with mythical locations waiting to be uncovered, conquered and exploited.

“In Age of Wonders 3, we extrapolate RPG style classes to be the leaders of fantasy empires.” says Lennart Sas, Development Director at Triumph. “For example: as a Goblin Theocrat you can build your own holy empire, recruit little goblin crusaders or cute winged goblin angels equipped with flaming weapons, and wage war on your heathen enemies. We want players to be able to choose between lots of different play styles, without being restricted by fantasy clichés, like All Goblins Are Evil.”
Arno van Wingerden, Triumph’s Tech Director says: ” the new engine truly reflects the choices players have made by affecting how their realm and units are represented It makes the gameplay on both the strategic and battle maps more immersive than ever, while retaining the gameplay and feel of the previous games.”

Key features include:

● Explore, expand and exploit a living fantasy world. Discover wondrous locations and gather legendary heroes.
● Develop your domain, with many classes having the ability to change terrain and climates to suit your needs.
● All new 3D graphics that provide a crisper and more detailed overview of the world and battle maps.
● New styles of play are possible with the introduction of RPG style leader classes like warlord, theocrat, rogue and sorcerer, along with a wide selection of specializations.
● Command a variety of races. Pick your starting race and shape your people’s destiny using your leader’s unique skills.
● A brand-new tactical battle system renders each battlefield and siege in great detail; new rules include flanking and a massive set of special unit abilities.
● An epic story campaign with two playable factions;. Choose the mighty Commonwealth Empire or join the Court of the High Elves, founded after the reunion of the Dark Elves and Wood Elves.
● Compete online in extensive multiplayer modes and scenarios.
● High replay value through random maps, difficulty modes and tools allowing user created content.

Age of Wonders 3® has not yet been rated and has an estimated late 2013 release date on PC. It will be published through digital distribution and brought to retail stores in selected territories.
For more information and regular updates please visit http://www.ageofwonders.com

About Triumph Studios: Founded in 1997, Triumph Studios B.V. is an independent video game and technology development company based in Delft, The Netherlands. Triumph Studios’ focuses on combining the team’s creativity with its proprietary multi-format Creator EngineTM to forge captivating and unique game experiences. As the original creators of the critically acclaimed Overlord® and Age of Wonders® series, Triumph Studios has a track record in creating games that are innovative, commercially successful, and which lead to demand for multiple sequels.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/TriumphStudios
Follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TriumphStudiosGames

EruDaan

Arcane
Sounds good on paper. Let's wait and see if it will be as good as it sounds. :)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Sounds like they're returning to the end of the first game and work from there. Me like.

“For example: as a Goblin Theocrat you can build your own holy empire, recruit little goblin crusaders or cute winged goblin angels equipped with flaming weapons, and wage war on your heathen enemies. We want players to be able to choose between lots of different play styles, without being restricted by fantasy clichés, like All Goblins Are Evil.”

And this I also like. A lot.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom