Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Torment Kickstarter Update #21: Writer's Meet, 2D Backgrounds and Dialogue Design

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Adam Heine; Brother None; Colin McComb; InXile Entertainment; Torment: Tides of Numenera

It's been almost two months since the last Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter update, and so it's no surprise that today's update is massive indeed. The update consists of three main parts. In the first part, Colin McComb describes his experiences at Torment's epic first writer's meet. In the second part, environmental artist Gavin Glenn-McDowell talks about some of inXile's achievements in creating prerendered 2D backgrounds. In the third part, Adam Heine provides some new details on the game's dialogue system. The entire update is very interesting and absolutely worth reading, but it's the third part which is most relevant to the Codex's interests. Here's an excerpt:

Conversations in Tides of Numenera will be a lot like what you remember from Planescape: Torment. The NPC will tell you something (maybe a lot of something—we're thinking up to 300 characters per NPC node), and you'll have a list of responses to choose from. Some of those responses might include actions to perform, skills to use, or telling the truth vs. lying.​

What options you have available, and what the NPC says in response, can depend on many different things: what you've said or done in the past, how you've customized your character, who you choose to travel with, etc. (I recently wrote a post on basic reactive dialogue, if you're interested in how that works.)​

And there are some design aspects unique to Tides of Numenera. There are the Tides, of course, which are shaped by your choices, and which affect what certain NPCs say and do. These work very similarly to how alignment worked in PST, but they're more complex. We're working through what those complexities mean now, and how they’ll impact dialogue design, exploration, and combat.​

Using skills will be different, too (side note: I say "will," but we're still in pre-production, so any of this can change). Say there's a difficult task you want to attempt—lying to a prison guard or deciphering the text on an ancient puzzle box. Typically, in D&D-style RPGs for example, if you don't have the associated skill, your chances of success are very low, or you might not be able to attempt the task at all. In Numenera, all such tasks are treated the same, and anyone can try them. Training in a related skill or skills will lower the difficulty of the task, but even if you're untrained, you can still apply Effort.​

Effort is a concept from the Numenera tabletop game. Essentially you spend points out of the appropriate stat pool (Might, Speed, or Intellect) to lower the difficulty of a task. The idea is, even if you've never been trained in lock picking, a very smart or dexterous character can, with some Effort, increase their chances of cracking a lock.​

Your stat pools are renewable with rest. And of course, all of this is balanced. If you're trying to crack a combination lock created by a culture that died out millions of years ago, which requires a combination of smells rather than integers, well...you'd have to have a high-level character specialized in the task, who spent all the Intellect they had on Effort, just to make the task possible. That character would still have to roll ridiculously well.​

Effort provides more options to customize your character and tackle obstacles. If there's a task you want to attempt—even if it's something normally contrary to your character build—you still have a chance of succeeding if you can use enough Effort. On the other hand, someone who has trained or specialized in that sort of task will have a greater chance of success, and will maintain that edge in similar tasks throughout the game.​

I hinted at die rolls above, which brings me to something else I want to share with you. Active skills—that is, skills you choose to use and have the option to apply Effort to—will be done with die rolls. In dialogue, these skills will usually be things like Persuasion, Deception, and Intimidation, although other skills might find uses in dialogue as well. In some cases, if you fail a task, Effort can also be spent to gain a second chance.​

But we have a whole category of Lore skills that represent your knowledge. These skills will enable certain response options in dialogue, giving you choices that a player without the skill wouldn't have. When this happens, there won't be a die roll, because the skill is being used without requiring effort on your part. The unlocked response options are just there.​

Adam also reveals that dialogue options will not be tagged, such that you won't know you're using Active skills or Lore skills until you select a relevant option. The intention is to prevent such dialogue options from being too obvious. That and the die rolls might turn out to be controversial for the "anti-savescummers" among us, I suspect...

MasPingon

Arcane
Adam also reveals that dialogue options will not be tagged, such that you won't know you're using Active skills or Lore skills until you select a relevant option. The intention is to prevent such dialogue options from being too obvious

That's something that piss me off since KOTOR1, such a "liitle" thing like tagged dialog options succesfully kill all the fun with a dialog for me. Something bad has a tendency to grow into something awful, so persuasion and intimidate skills quickly became a standard insta win in modern crpgs(with retarded shit like info that you won't succeed if you use the option, cause you don't have enough skill points). Great decision:bro:

Rake

Arcane
Adam also reveals that dialogue options will not be tagged, such that you won't know you're using Active skills or Lore skills until you select a relevant option. The intention is to prevent such dialogue options from being too obvious

That's something that piss me off since KOTOR1, such a "liitle" thing like tagged dialog options succesfully kill all the fun with a dialog for me. Something bad has a tendency to grow into something awful, so persuasion and intimidate skills quickly became a standard insta win in modern crpgs(with retarded shit like info that you won't succeed if you use the option, cause you don't have enough skill points). Great decision:bro:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Josh Sawyer remains the only RPG designer worth a damn in this shit industry, nothing new there.

I'd like to thank Chris Avellone, Monte Cook, Steve Dobos, Tony Evans, Matt Findley, Shanna Germain, Jeremy Kopman, Nathan Long, Monty Markland, Pat Rothfuss, Kevin Saunders, and George Ziets for contributing their valuable insight to these three days.
Heh, confirmation that Mitsoda, Lafferty, and Whipple are fungible contractors.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'd like to thank Chris Avellone, Monte Cook, Steve Dobos, Tony Evans, Matt Findley, Shanna Germain, Jeremy Kopman, Nathan Long, Monty Markland, Pat Rothfuss, Kevin Saunders, and George Ziets for contributing their valuable insight to these three days.

Adam Heine Brolapsed this.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
Josh Sawyer remains the only RPG designer worth a damn in this shit industry, nothing new there.

16013.jpg

80Maxwell08

Arcane

16013.jpg
That's Rougey. You can ignore him.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

16013.jpg

Roguey is our resident shitposter. Feel free to place them on ignore. You won't miss anything. Anything at all that in anyway contributes to any form of meaningful discussion. Just FYI if you didn't know already.

Septaryeth

Augur
Interesting how Whipple was not present in such important meeting
Nothing personal, but......

:lol:

Adam Heine

Arcane
Developer

It's been suggested I should elaborate on my coughing above. So this, from the KS Update:

We didn't bring everyone out for this first meeting because we're staging our writers -- we want to improve on our processes by using some of our current team to test them out before everyone is involved.

I wasn't brought out for complicated immigration and timing issues. Everyone else simply isn't being rolled on yet, but they will be.

So, no, it's not personal :)

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer

It's been suggested I should elaborate on my coughing above. So this, from the KS Update:

We didn't bring everyone out for this first meeting because we're staging our writers -- we want to improve on our processes by using some of our current team to test them out before everyone is involved.

I wasn't brought out for complicated immigration and timing issues. Everyone else simply isn't being rolled on yet, but they will be.

So, no, it's not personal :)

I was just coming to clarify that. Yes, not everyone was there. This was on purpose, but not because of their importance to the project - it was because we want to be sure that we have the best possible workflow for our writers and for our production team. There's no point in getting everyone revved up and then saying, "Oh, by the way, this isn't actually how we're working on this. Sorry!"

Plus, some of them had other professional obligations and requested a later start time. So there's that.

jewboy

Arbiter
I wish inXile would leave out the TL;DR comments. It's kind of insulting. Presumably there are a lot of backers old enough that they didn't grow up communicating solely with 160 character SMS messages and one sentence facebook posts. In fact we may be able to read well enough to skim the main points ourselves if we don't have time to read the whole thing. And speaking of which 300 characters doesn't seem particularly long to me.

hiver

yeah but you see, there was this one single backer that whailed about it. So now every update has a section for him and his ilk.

CMcC

Larian Studios
Developer
When we do a massive update, not everything is going to be applicable to everyone. We're giving people an upfront indication - an executive summary, if you will - of what they can expect to find in the update. Then they can choose whether or not to spend their time reading it. We're tailoring the reading experience as well!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Colin, take the opportunity to lock Rothfuss in a room and make him finish the goddamn book.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom