Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 2011: The Year in Review

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Another fucking Black Pussy love in this has turned out to be. Sorry fatties, it has already been conclusively proved that Black Cat belongs to the ultimate in manufactured 'counter-culture', created by the Man to fleece fools into buying the latest in dubious black 'fashion' items, churned out en-masse by Chinese slaves. The irony is that Jennifer Hepler is much more of a real RPG lovers 'woman' than BC.

mondblut

Arcane
The irony is that Jennifer Hepler is much more of a real RPG lovers 'woman'...

Cursed be the day I saw Ishar for the first time.

Also, wtf that shitbrick-laying simulator is doing among "2011 RPGs"? Sure, there weren't any RPGs released in 2011, but you got to draw a line somewhere. What comes in 2012, Tetris or Minesweeper?

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For me the art of the XIXth century was the novel, the one of the XXth was cinema and the one of the XXIst is the video game. You'll soon have stupid old fucks in universities droning about "Monotheism in Lord British's Canon". I still think that video games are the greatest contemporary form of art. RPG Codex is the only board on the internet that shelters people with great taste and a genuine love and interest in the medium. We are crazy but we also are quite clever. I also like the punk side of the RPG Codex, it belongs to our way of thinking out of the box. But I can understand DU: sometimes there are people who are just total morons screaming "Look at me! Look at me!" while splashing their own shit on their face. But I don't think that Andhaira or Black Cat belong to them. Like Azrael said, they are genuinely interested in the medium and quite erudite. Black Cat writes very well and has a unique way of thinking, she's an artist. I would marry her tommorrow if she asked me to.
I think your rock-star lifestyle in fashionable Paris would suit her quite well actually :martini:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Also, wtf that shitbrick-laying simulator is doing among "2011 RPGs"? Sure, there weren't any RPGs released in 2011, but you got to draw a line somewhere. What comes in 2012, Tetris or Minesweeper?

Well, DU really likes Minecraft. I thought we've established a long time ago that RPG = game you like a lot.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Minecraft has stats and choice and consequence. You choose which blocks to knock out and by consequence you get those blocks!

:troll:

Krash

Arcane
Or to read really hilarious Let's Plays. The playground is the only thing of real value in this cesspit :love:

FINALLY someone mentions the best part of the forum (well, maybe except workshop, but there's like a post per month there).

Mortmal

Arcane
DU is trying to make Codex more female-friendly so you dumbasses could procreate.

Holy fucking shit people how obvious does your benevolent leader have to make it?

You have to kill everyone here and start anew to make it more female friendly , i am not sure its even worth the effort, i have really not met many females gamers in the last 10 years, gaming democratized itself a bit more with xbox and mmos , you can find them more often on world of warcraft and other popular blizzard games but in overall they are still very few.

laclongquan

Arcane
DU's rant said:
All of this has lead me to a simple conclusion: There's something about role-playing games that attracts a certain type of persona. Bluntly, the people who play these games ARE NOT SANE HEALTHY PEOPLE. Maybe they're all looking for something they don't have, escapism, whatever but something needs to be said to the RPG developers of this world: You are making games for the menatlly ill. You are writing games for people who have deep psychological problems. We're talking lala-land here. Loony bin territory. If you met these people in the street you would wonder who let them out of the asylum. If you were a mental health professional, you would LOCK THESE PEOPLE UP.

RPG fans are mentally ill individuals. All of you. Every. Single. Fucking. One of you. YOU'RE. ALL. FUCKING. INSANE.

He's cracking. The stress of running Codex is nothing to sneer at.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
No. After being exposed to Vaarna_Aarne's, Black Cat's and well-meaning friend's dumbfuckery plus Andhaira & Prosper it's only logical to infer that every single one of us must be utterly insane.
The real kicker is that Black_Cat and Vaarna_aarne put aside their differences and cheerfully fly spaceships together in Star Trek Online now.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
No. After being exposed to Vaarna_Aarne's, Black Cat's and well-meaning friend's dumbfuckery plus Andhaira & Prosper it's only logical to infer that every single one of us must be utterly insane.

Yeah, the "you're all insane"-part is so exaggerated I thought it was hyperbole for laughs only. Finding out DU has been scarred by dumbfuckery is certainly surprising.

Yeah, the "you're all insane"-part is so exaggerated I thought it was hyperbole for laughs only. Finding out DU has been scarred by dumbfuckery is certainly surprising.

I really don't know - if the people aren't insane, there's definitely something insane about the site itself, Necronomicon-style.

Put it this way: on most sites, if someone posted in meticulous and graphic detail how they killed and then ate a drifter, and I mean really heavy detail - what they used, how they took the body apart and cooked it, how they dissolved the bones and non-edible parts in acid, how they picked out the victim and made sure that it was someone with no friends or close family, so they could pretend to befriend them before finding an opportunity to do the deed and get away with it - I would notify the fucking police.

Put the same post in the codex, however, and I'm not sure that I'd even flag it for moderation:)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If the Codex is the Necronomicon of forums, then is Grimoire the Necronomicon of games?

If the Codex is the Necronomicon of forums, then is Grimoire the Necronomicon of games?

Well the one person who claims to have come into contact with Grimoire in its fullest form (I'm talking about Cleve, of course), who was previously a reasonably hirable mid-level professional game designer+programmer, has since degenerated into a raving loon hiding from humanity in his (going by his description) fortified bunker surrounded by death-traps. Given the rate of his deterioration, and his apparent disappearance (save from one mammoth shitstorming thread on the Codex), it's reasonable to estimate that by now he is a flesh-eating demonically possessed zombie who spends his nights preying on travellers in the Australian wilderness, and his days replaying Grimoire.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

I really don't know - if the people aren't insane, there's definitely something insane about the site itself, Necronomicon-style.

Put it this way: on most sites, if someone posted in meticulous and graphic detail how they killed and then ate a drifter, and I mean really heavy detail - what they used, how they took the body apart and cooked it, how they dissolved the bones and non-edible parts in acid, how they picked out the victim and made sure that it was someone with no friends or close family, so they could pretend to befriend them before finding an opportunity to do the deed and get away with it - I would notify the fucking police.

Put the same post in the codex, however, and I'm not sure that I'd even flag it for moderation:)

We have banned people for posting pictures of dead cats.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Well the one person who claims to have come into contact with Grimoire in its fullest form (I'm talking about Cleve, of course), who was previously a reasonably hirable mid-level professional game designer+programmer, has since degenerated into a raving loon hiding from humanity in his (going by his description) fortified bunker surrounded by death-traps. Given the rate of his deterioration, and his apparent disappearance (save from one mammoth shitstorming thread on the Codex), it's reasonable to estimate that by now he is a flesh-eating demonically possessed zombie who spends his nights preying on travellers in the Australian wilderness, and his days replaying Grimoire.

"The Beast in the Bunker", one of Lovecraft's earlier, lesser-known tales.

All at once a fleeting spasm of energy seemed to pass through the frame of the beast. The paws went through a convulsive motion, and the limbs contracted. With a jerk, the flabby white body rolled over so that its face was turned in our direction. For a moment I was so struck with horror at the eyes thus revealed that I noted nothing else. They were black, those eyes, deep jetty black, in hideous contrast to the pasty white flesh. Like those of other basement dwellers, they were deeply sunken in their orbits, and were entirely destitute of iris. As I looked more closely, I saw that they were set in a face less prognathous than that of the average cybernegro, and infinitely less hairy. The nose was quite distinct. As we gazed upon the uncanny sight presented to our vision, the thick lips opened, and several sounds issued from them, after which the thing relaxed in death.

The moderator clutched my coat sleeve and trembled so violently that the light shook fitfully, casting weird moving shadows on the walls.

I made no motion, but stood rigidly still, my horrified eyes fixed upon the floor ahead.

The fear left, and wonder, awe, compassion, and reverence succeeded in its place, for the sounds uttered by the stricken figure that lay stretched out on the metal floor had told us the awesome truth. The creature I had killed, the strange beast of the unfathomed bunker, was, or had at one time been a MANBOON!!!

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Or to read really hilarious Let's Plays. The playground is the only thing of real value in this cesspit :love:

Pretty much.

Heh. I'm sure plenty of us are sane. I hope.

For some reason, I think it's weirder/a bigger problem that there are people who have no interest in RPGs that still come to the Codex to visit their fellow weirdos. DU, plz fix.

Gragt

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin
As far as I know, "pardon my French" is mostly used when you use the word "fuck"; the joke being that it's close in pronunciation to the word "phoque".

Unless you're doing a "why don't you make like a tree and get outta here".

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
What a load of bullshit, pardon my french.
Pourquoi êtes-vous fou? Vous n'aimez pas la vérité?
Pardon mon français.

That's not french, that's pussy. I know since I had it in school.

Anyway, I'm not mad, I just find it amusing that two guys who agree they like LPs find everything else about these forums useless in a more general sense. Especially since Brother None is not a troll, which makes it all the more frightening that he considers the following to be null and void:

The content (of which we actually have quite a lot these days - both reviews, interviews, news and a bunch of other stuff)
This forum's uniquely critical perspective on the industry which makes sure news and similar stuff is usually treated critically
The sometimes very honest debates that can exist between Grade A users with as free moderation as they have here
The extremely detailed knowledge on old games some users posses. I've been extremely glad to have this forum during my playthrough of Wizardry 8, for example.

Furthermore, I've participated in tournaments and playgroups in quite a few games with playgroups I would probably be unable to find of the same quality elsewhere. The Codex is good for tons of stuff. Just because you don't use it doesn't mean it's irrelevant, dickhead.

For example, you could delete the Playground for all I care. I follow 1-2 LPs at a time as a distraction, but it's hardly the reason I'm here. However unlike you I don't rule it generally irrelevant just because it's not my own favourite place to be.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom