Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial 2011: The Year in Review

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I lead a sheltered life here at the Codex... I stay as faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from GD as possible and stick to game related threads. I mean, really, GD scares me... that place is certifiable. However, keeping moderation to a minimum allows the Codex to be a very unique place on the 'net that you don't find anywhere else. It may lead to unfortunate threads but overall it allows great exchanges of ideas and positions without the worry of being "politically correct" at least as far as the threads I read :oops:.

Mortmal

Arcane
Wow, Black Cat is like a perfect storm of fucked up teenaged girl shit. I'm not sure how this makes me feel.

Far too much vocabulary , far too long sentences for a teenage girl, and no typos . No shes good story teller , 30+ years easily .

Actually her posts fits the M.O. of plenty of teenage girls. Anything is possible though, this is the internet.

According the number of fantastic rpgs upcoming soon, i think we would be more entertained discussing black cat and her supposed age. No define a rpg this month, define black cat!

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Excellent review. And yes most of GD is filled with nuts and people pretending to be nuts.

Self-Ejected

Kosmonaut

Lost in Space
We also have some members who received their psychology degree, in addition to numerous other degrees, from the Internet University, Department of Wikipedic Sciences, Copypasta Research Division, which is an accomplishment worthy of the eternal praise.

Ha ha ha ha, this is a nice comeback to the usual Wyrmlord bulshit. Thanks, you made me laugh with this post.

Mackerel

Augur
Is it just me or are people who hang out on the internet too much very naive about humanity? Get out and talk to enough "regular" folks long enough for them to let their guard down and you'll uncover all sorts of "crazy" ideas. I've known quite a few people that make this place look tame and I can't really say that I've ever met a "sane" person. I also understand using hyperbole for comedic purposes and I don't believe everything I read.

Morkar Left

Wow, Black Cat is like a perfect storm of fucked up teenaged girl shit. I'm not sure how this makes me feel.

When she isn't promoting piracy or enjoying musicians getting crippled BC is actually pretty cool (even with her being a weaboo).

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

Far too much vocabulary , far too long sentences for a teenage girl, and no typos . No shes good story teller , 30+ years easily .

Actually her posts fits the M.O. of plenty of teenage girls. Anything is possible though, this is the internet.

According the number of fantastic rpgs upcoming soon, i think we would be more entertained discussing black cat and her supposed age. No define a rpg this month, define black cat!

"What can change the stuffies of a Black Cat, nyaa~?"

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Ya. I don't really know why DU mentioned that shit in the post. Unnecessary.
It seems to be pretty relevant to his point.
Unnecessary shaming of a user. If it is true, she already had someone telling this publicly, no need to repeat the offense. Good chance it's not true though.
Actually I used that event because it unsettled me. And I'm not entirely happy that it happened on the Codex. Nobody cares about Dicksmoker so using that as an example wouldn't have had any impact. But this is an incident which lead to some serious shit going down, which I don't think anyone would be ecstatic about.

I also have a philosophy that there's no backspace in life. You don't get to use the undo command. What happens, has happened and will always have happened. Drawing additional attention to it may not be the wisest thing I've done but I did think she had left. Crooked Bee let me know that wasn't the case after I posted the first draft - which did make me hesitate, but ultimately lead me to push through because I wanted to make a pretty serious point here. And it's not the one in the article.

Even if I hadn't mentioned that thread, it already sits adorned in Retardo Land, stickied. It's linked in the "Great Drama" sticky that resides in GD as the "Black Cat leaving thread". Most people know about it - although not "everyone". But that's my point. This is a public forum and I think sometimes people forget that. The shit you guys produce is read by thousands of guests every day. Now GD and Retardo are only open to members only (now), but once it's "out there", it's out there and it's not coming back in. Any registered user who cared enough would be able to venture out and find out about it.

Now let's say we did delete the thread and pretend it didn't happen, a) does that actually help anyone and b) people would still know about it. I deleted the Dicksmoker thread - at his request - earlier this year because of the possible harm it may cause. What happened? Everyone knew anyone and it was repeated pretty much every time Dicksmoker posted. When I undeleted the thread (at Dickie's request), it was a couple of days before someone posted a giant "HEY GUYS THE THREAD IS BACK" post in GD and it was all raised again. In other words, trying to hide it, doesn't help and only makes people curiouser and curiouser. By contrast leaving it undeleted for a month now, things seem to have mostly settled down.

Now I don't think anyone here did anything wrong in the Black Cat thread. It was a debate about philosophical differences which I don't think could've gone any other way. I really do think well meaning friend over-reacted a little. You know, just a bit. But even so, here's someone who's not even a member here, deciding to join in and post something like that because of some words they're reading.

It also did make me realise you're all fucking nuts. I mean, I did know that before - but in the light-hearted "you're all crazy" sense. Now I quite genuinely believe that many of you need to seek professional help and should be on some of prosper's medication. And it's made me wonder how to even remotely deal with this sort of shit and whether our laissez-faire approach here is in everyone's best interests. After a lot of thought I still think it's the best approach, but it did make me reconsider for a while.

The real message to all of you though is quite simple: Think before you post. Whatever mental state you're in when you think posting it on the Codex is a great idea, it might be worth thinking again and asking yourself if you really want to bring this sort of attention to yourself. And once that attention has been gained, whether you're going to be comfortable with it and what you're going to do about it. Because the Codex is a public forum, you should ask yourselves not "do I want to tell the Codex about this" but "is this something I would tell everyone"? Because everyone is going to know about it. And in this instance, we even have a friend who decided to jump in (for better or worse) - someone who wasn't even posting on the Codex in the first place but who has apparently reading.

I also think that while you are protected through some small level of anonymity, I don't think many of you realise just how easy it is to find someone. In the case of the Dicksmoker thread, with just a few mentions of where they live and a first name, all of the real people involved were found.

So it's very simple, we have a private conversation system now that allows you to basically have private threads with only the people you want in them. I'd recommend that some of you might want to consider using it. And keep in mind that what you post publicly, may very well end up everywhere.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Time will tell as to whether Dragon Age 3 - the supposed final game in the trilogy - will do as well or whether it will be the death of BioWare.
This is the opposite of what they've been saying, DA was never conceived of as a trilogy, they want it to be their D&D, their Fantasy Call of Duty evergreen fantasy series.
Some Bioware employees on BSN openly laughed about this, Michael Pachter is a professional bullshitter who doesn't know anything.
First off was Scars of War, an indie game under-development by Gareth (a guy who posts here on the Codex) which was put indefinitely on hold - so the developer could work on a short 6-month battle-card game instead. It's been over 6 months now and the game's website no longer works... (It's ok, I've been there myself, I know how he feels).
The development of his little card game has been a fun roller coaster, reminds me a lot of how Scars of War went. "Mulitplayer!... wait, out of scope. RPG elements!...wait out of scope." I figured Gareth was a hack when I saw that he was friends with and white-knighting the author of the "Girlz N Games" "webcomic." Hacks tend to group together, you see. I'm sure his uh, single player computer collectible card game will do just fine though. Tons of demand for those.

And really, if you can't get a simple point-and-click-and-stuff-dies game right (Protip: Focus on pretty graphics and loot drops) than one has to wonder what you're really capable of.
It's not a point-and-click action-RPG but yeah I agree. I'll be surprised if Obsidian survives next-gen, they're not large enough to compete with the others, and they're too large to exist as they are now with smaller titles. Fergie's going to have to cut off a lot of fingers and of course he's rather reluctant about doing that...

A well-meaning friend of Black Cat's appears out of nowhere to tell us all just why exactly Black Cat feels the way she does.
Well, that's an unpleasant confirmation. I was really hoping that was an alt.

Stinger

Arcane
Wow that top 5 list is depressing as hell. Is that really what the codex voted? Jesus christ.

And that rant at the end was also quite unsettling...I guess that's why I stay the fuck out of GD.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
This is the internet, and having a free-for-all, lawless area WILL cause that kind of stuff, digital lord of the flies zone, no matter if it's in the Codexian GD or in the Disney Kids foruns...And as the Black Cat/Dicksmoker course of actions show, deleting/modding the GD will only cause a overflow of insanity trought the other forum areas and talks, so at this point there isn't even a safe way to "clean" the Codex.

There are people wiling to post shit there and people willing to read shit there, you only need to get involved and post your history/photo/facebok/whatever if you want; and honestly, most people will simply ignore you, unless you REALLY make an effort to appear and be seen...and at that point you are honestly trying your luck against the internet...

I for once, honestly believe that if someone goes on public forums exposing their personal problems and inability to act like Dicksmoker did, they are actually lazy people hoping that someone will make a move for them, like kids in the classroom shouting "I forgot my pencil", waiting for a bro to lend them theirs...problem is, there is no teacher here to prevent people from shoving pencils up your ass until you never forget them again...

LittleJoe

Arbiter
No Du, you are either totally misguided or wrapped up in self-delusion.
To suggest that most codexers are mentally Ill.
Emotionally damaged.
Have....Issues.
How can you even suggest that I would, that I could...
Not be normal?
Ha! Ha!
So, I like RPG's.
So do a million other people.
A million million other people.
Does that make me crazy?
Ha!
I think not!

There are some people on this board who seem sane: Black Adder, Zed or Infinitron for example. The rest are completely crazy (and me being the first, OK, nobody knows me but then I can relate to all of my crazy brothers). This board is absolutely nuts and I understand DU becoming bored with the anti-jew anti-black anti-everything crowd screaming: "WE HAV THE RIGHTES TO BE FASCIST".

Radisshu

Prophet
No Du, you are either totally misguided or wrapped up in self-delusion.
To suggest that most codexers are mentally Ill.
Emotionally damaged.
Have....Issues.
How can you even suggest that I would, that I could...
Not be normal?
Ha! Ha!
So, I like RPG's.
So do a million other people.
A million million other people.
Does that make me crazy?
Ha!
I think not!
:hmmm:

CootKeeper

Augur
But this is why I like this place. I've been lurking for 8 years and I've come to the same conclusions as DU a couple years ago. Once you've tasted the apple, you can't go back. My own little tower of Babel.

Finally, what saves this board is that it's the only one where one can talk about "Phantasie", "Darklands" or really forgotten games such as "Legend of Faerghail", "Circuit's Edge" or "Veil of Darkness". Fuck the pseudo-nazis. The "edgy" side of the RPG Codex is just shit: it's just children caught by the syndrome of La Tourette . Exactly like the AAA titles that we despise.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom